View Single Post
      05-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
well here's a smart one, so let me as you some questions.

1. SO during my "warranty" peroid, you want me to use only BMW LL01 approved oil, right? So can do I have to use the one at the stealership, or is it ok for me to use German made BMW LL01 oils such as pentosin, Total, motul, lubrimoly, etc? If its ok, and logical for me to go and buy these oils, with the same LL01 approval, written on the back labels by germans, and change the oil, then is my car still "warrantied"? When I come back to the stealership for work to be done on my car, can I show the the empty bottle with the LL01 written on the back label, just like the one they are selling?

2. If the answers to the above questions are yes, then if I change my oil with say redline, royal purple, or amsoil, and 4,000 miles later I come in for repair work, and they ask me if my oil was LL01 approved, and I say yes, how would they know the oil isn't? Oh, and don't tell me, its by the color of the oil, because thats just a stupid response.
You may have an obligation to prove that you used approved oil. If you do your own servicing, then you can do that by keeping a journal showing dates of service, what was done and what products used. In addition, you'll want to attach receipts that show that approved parts/fluids were used.

In addition, if the dealer believes that the failure was caused by non-approved fluids/parts, then they will send samples off to get them analyzed. You can bet that their labs can tell the difference between an LL-01 oil and amSOIL or Royal Poopie.

But you knew all that already and just asked your question to yank my chain.

I didn't answer for you but for the other readers that may actually want to learn something.
Appreciate 0