View Single Post
      05-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #421
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I've been reading through this thread since it started. Just the other day I came upon fatty335's thread where he documented the preventative replacement of his rod bearings. Full of good info, brainstorming, and debate. This thought of rod bearing wear and failure has consumed me since the day I bought the car. I can offer a data point as someone who has not yet had any symptoms of rod bearing issues.

My 2013 135i is currently just over 90k miles. I've owned it since 39k. Oil changes every 5k with Liqui Moly 5w-40. During normal conditions, my daily commute was ~50 miles round-trip. Half highway, half city. I'm in Michigan so this driving took place through both extremes of winter and summer. I have not yet done OFHG replacement.

My question to you, Pladi: being 2 years since your last post in this thread, have you moved on from your N55 335i?

And Ozzie335i--how has your experience been since your preventative bearing replacement? Still own and drive the car?
Could you share a bit more about how it was driven? Doesn't pertain to me but I think it could help the discussion.

Specifically: what's your warmup process--do you start the car and let it sit for 5 min before driving it? Is there a certain rule you follow for procedure ie "until oil temp is past 165 I don't go over 2.5k rpm"? Is this a car that you drive as a commuter at the speed limit or do you hit WOT and high RPMs on a regular basis?
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0