Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContrakt View Post
2008 N54 AWD 140k miles

DCI
Catless DP
Stage 2 MHD tuned (stock intercooler)

On cold start in the mornings before work, my idle is funky. Car starts normally and does cold start high idle normally for ~7 seconds then the idle fluctuates uppppppp like 3-400 RPMs and thennnnn droppppps back downnnnnn to 800 then a few seconds more drops down again to standard idle of 650 and stumbles and rumbles and misfires.

Then I tap the gas a couple times and it all evens out.

This had NEVER happened until the MORNING AFTER I installed my catless DPs. Didn't touch plugs, coils, or fueling in any way shape or form. Plugs are standard non-iridium tipped Bosch with 10k miles on them and coils are standard OE Delphi with 10k miles on them. Injectors are probably factory. Most likely not index 12.

I thought maybe because I'm missing the downstream O2 sensors now, maybe the car is just acting funky because of the Service Engine Soon light. So I tuned MHD and coded out the O2 sensor light. Nope. Still misfiring on cold start.

I understand colder plugs and their function and I understand why they're necessary for higher boost applications but I don't understand why they'd be needed for a cold start idle. Do I miraculously have leaky injectors the day after installing DPs/tune and the misfire isn't related at all to the DPs or the tune? Just ridiculous. One thing after another.

PS:
BMS says "Note: these plugs are on national back order. Most still floating around the internet are counterfeit. We suggest the NGK 2-STEP plugs as an alternative for all tuned BMW applications."

I doubt with simple bolt ons I should be running 2 step colder plugs? Does anyone do this?
If BMS says 2 step colder is fine then you should be good.

I run 97506s and they work great.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0