E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > M47d20tu2 bad performance under 2k rpm

07-01-2024, 04:03 PM   #1
Buffertube
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d 2005 m47d20tu2 m sport

M47d20tu2 bad performance under 2k rpm

I have a 2005 bmw 320d e90 with the m47d20tu2 163hp engine.
I had to do a turbo rebuild a year ago because it failed and since then it has had a weird boost issue where it accellerated incredibly slow up until 2.5k-3k rpm and then the turbo would kick in and it starts pulling like crazy. This was most noticeable in 4th gear going a bit uphill.

Recently the crankshaft pulley straight up just fell off so i had it replaced alongside tensioner and belts and since then it performs a lot better but theres still a weird issue with boost.

If i slowly give it gas it works fine and it gets boost at 2k rpm

But if i give it full gas at low rpm it starts climbing slowly and doesnt get boost until 2.5-3k rpm which makes it very very dead in low rpm. I can also hear the turbo spool when this happens.
The weird thing is is when it reaches around 1800-2000 rpm if i let off the full gas and then push the gas pedal again it spools up properly almost instantly.

Basically it feels like if i give it full gas the turbo forgets to spool when it should and i have to release then push the gas pedal to “remind it” i dont know how else to explain since english isnt my native language.

I also did diagnostics and the only thing that showed up was glow plugs.

Anybody have any idea what this could be? Thanks.
Appreciate 0