E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2009 328i stalling/dying while driving

05-13-2024, 08:41 AM   #1
TheTeeVeeGuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sedan MT

2009 328i stalling/dying while driving

Morning all,

As of this week, my 3 Series has blessed me with a new issue. Driving to work the other day, about 15 mins on the road, my car suddenly and without warning just stalls going about 35mph. All electronics seemed to remain on and I didn't notice anything amiss up until that point. I then had a CEL and a car-on-lift light on the dash. My basic walmart OBDII didn't read any codes.

I tried to crank it back up, and wouldn't turn over. Sounded like I had normal power to the starter. After sitting about 5 mins, it cranked right back as if nothing had happened. Since then, it's happened 2 more times.

If it helps, the 3 times this has happened, it's been 80+ degrees outside. As of this week in north Idaho, we are just now starting to warm up so this is her first time this year running at that temp. Maybe has something to do with it?

I've been desperately searching forums and have come across a few recurring issues mirroring these symptoms:

-Fuel pump control module (overheating in high temps?)
-Fuel pump and/or pressure regulator
-Camshaft or crankshaft position sensor
-Dirty/faulty idle control valve

I have extremely limited tools and knowledge so if I need a lift, it's out of my ability. Just wondering where I should start? I don't have unlimited funds to replace everything so is my best bet just getting a diagnosis from an indy?

Thanks for any help!

PS: I'll leave this thread open for future 3 Series owners, I expect to report back when I've solved this headache.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 09:09 AM   #2
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

EKpm
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 03:24 AM   #3
noidex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e93 N54 6MT

I feel the limited tools... too relatable :/

Anyway, without error codes and specific sounds or over clues it's anyone's guess what happened.
Had the same issue of my generic OBD2 reader not picking anything up.

So first I'd get an K+DCAN cable for cheap somewhere, Aliexpress worked wonders for me. Then you need a USB-A to USB-C adapter for Android, for IOS I'd need to look up what to buy, what I said is ONLY for Android.

Then get the MHD App, it's free and can read all BMW codes.

Then you can see all codes for around 15 bucks.

Just going by the ambient heat it's not possible to determine the exact issue.

I am certain that you got some codes.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 05:35 PM   #4
TheTeeVeeGuy
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the input! I actually ended up getting a bluetooth scanner on Amazon that connects to the ELM OBD2 app. It's giving me codes 6292 and 6293, so maybe just overheating EKPM like jadams161 said? I ordered a new module so I'll have that installed and reprogrammed by the end of the week. I'll be sure to post the results.
Appreciate 1
noidex9.00
      05-21-2024, 05:49 PM   #5
TheTeeVeeGuy
Registered
Rep

UPDATE: EKPM (Fuel Pump Control Module) has been replaced with a used ebay (still genuine BMW) one. Donor vehicle was a 2008 535i, so not the same engine at all; just needed a reprogram from a local Euro shop for $150 (Still an EKPM3). It's been one day but I've been all over and have had zero issues. I'll continue updating for anyone having this issue in the future. I'm still going to replace the fuel pump relatively soon.
Appreciate 0