E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DTC/ABS/4x4 trifecta.... but

05-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Rockon
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

DTC/ABS/4x4 trifecta.... but

So I know the comments will be to check aviator motor so here is where I am at.

Got the trifecta but car still drives fine.
I think I can hear the slight clicking in the area of the transfer case/motor but who knows...

I pulled the transfer case servo unit/motor.

Work gear looks ok.
Gear it interacts with looks ok - concave shape and teeth look ok.
I can spin the motor/worm gear freely.
I can spin the gears freely as well.
When bolted together I can spin it at all.
Is this just normal gear multiplication and is normal or should I be able to turn over the system?

As the gears look good, before I buy a new one for install, I'd like to bench test it to see if just the motor is shot.

hopefully it's not the whole transfer case, but I'm assuming I'd have other issue if it was (locked front diff, noises when driving, no rear wheel power, etc).

Anybody had a motor go and the gears were fine and the car threw the same typical codes for this?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockon View Post
So I know the comments will be to check aviator motor so here is where I am at.

Got the trifecta but car still drives fine.
I think I can hear the slight clicking in the area of the transfer case/motor but who knows...

I pulled the transfer case servo unit/motor.

Work gear looks ok.
Gear it interacts with looks ok - concave shape and teeth look ok.
I can spin the motor/worm gear freely.
I can spin the gears freely as well.
When bolted together I can spin it at all.
Is this just normal gear multiplication and is normal or should I be able to turn over the system?

As the gears look good, before I buy a new one for install, I'd like to bench test it to see if just the motor is shot.

hopefully it's not the whole transfer case, but I'm assuming I'd have other issue if it was (locked front diff, noises when driving, no rear wheel power, etc).

Anybody had a motor go and the gears were fine and the car threw the same typical codes for this?

Thx

Damn hopefully its just the actuator motor.. i just replaced the worm gear on my 328 last week and it was pretty worn. fixed my trifecta.. keep us posted
Appreciate 0