E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Vehicle Trade In Question

06-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Vehicle Trade In Question

I've been talking to a few dealers the past few days while contemplating trading in my 335. Every CA I've talked to is trying to find out how much I owe on it, which I haven't given. I just assumed it is in my best interest not to give more information than I need to and see what they think my car is worth. Thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
advocado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750Li/ 2011 335i conv

Garage List
It's not really about what your car is worth, but what it's worth to them. The less they have to pay off, the more (though not equally more) valuable it is to them. Have you tried Kelly BB?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder109 View Post
I've been talking to a few dealers the past few days while contemplating trading in my 335. Every CA I've talked to is trying to find out how much I owe on it, which I haven't given. I just assumed it is in my best interest not to give more information than I need to and see what they think my car is worth. Thoughts??
People advice against revealing that info. You are doing the right thing. It does not make sense why they would ask in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocado View Post
It's not really about what your car is worth, but what it's worth to them. The less they have to pay off, the more (though not equally more) valuable it is to them. Have you tried Kelly BB?
Dealers don't seem to use KBB.

OP, get a Galves account or ask someone to tell you the whole sale trade in value of your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

After you get the trade value, ask them to give you 30 days or whatever you can negotiate to sell the car on your own. If you can't sell by the end of the term, they will give you the quoted trade value adjusted for mileage (not to exceed "x").

I did this a few cars ago.
      07-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
aapl
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
People advice against revealing that info. You are doing the right thing. It does not make sense why they would ask in the first place.

Dealers don't seem to use KBB.

OP, get a Galves account or ask someone to tell you the whole sale trade in value of your car.
I've got galves for another week... here you go:

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
aapl
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
After you get the trade value, ask them to give you 30 days or whatever you can negotiate to sell the car on your own. If you can't sell by the end of the term, they will give you the quoted trade value adjusted for mileage (not to exceed "x").

I did this a few cars ago.
I did the same thing when I was selling my wrx last week. They're not likely to give you 30 days... expect something like 5 days or 150 miles. I was able to get an extra $1600 and sold the car "as is" with no liability on my end. Even if you buy the car from one dealer it doesn't mean that another dealer won't want the car... shop around just like you're buying a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Thanks for all the advice and running that report for me. A BMW dealer offered me $30k which is the best offer of the three dealers I've talked to but the car is CPO. So I guess if I can get a partial refund for the Certification and the tax credit I'd be somewhere close to where I need to be.

Unfortunately, the market is just too saturated with 335s right now
Appreciate 0