E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > OCC filter cleaner?

05-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

OCC filter cleaner?

Evening all

I have an AR design catch can fitted to my 335i. Checked the filter at the w'end and it's pretty clogged up with sticky brown oil vapour residue.

What's the best way to clean it? Obviously I need some kinda degreaser but how will it penertrate right through the filter to allow free air flow agian.

I was thinking of putting it in a sock or similar a chucking it in the washing machine? Lol!!

Any suggestions?

IMG_0191.JPG
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Hi mate,

Same thought here, mines got a good 20mm of horrid sticky black crap in the filter bowl too. It needs a solvent to clean it, detergent won't do it.

I was going to just wash it all in petrol as you would to degrease car/bike parts in general.

The filter must be fuel/solvent resistant otherwise it would have melted by now, but maybe email AR to check?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Hi mate,

Same thought here, mines got a good 20mm of horrid sticky black crap in the filter bowl too. It needs a solvent to clean it, detergent won't do it.

I was going to just wash it all in petrol as you would to degrease car/bike parts in general.

The filter must be fuel/solvent resistant otherwise it would have melted by now, but maybe email AR to check?
Hi Mike

I sent a couple of photos over to Andrew last week with my concerns. His response was as follows

"I'd just clean it out with some filter cleaner or general degreaser, and you should be good to go"

My major concern is the below thread currently being debated on N54tech about (Positive Crankcase Ventilation).

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12178

If our filters are blocked and the flow isn't as it should be they are saying it could cause possible turbo issues. For me just giving the filter a scrub on the outside with degreaser isn't going to get to the stuff stuck in to the body of the material which is blocking the necessary flow.

I have e-mailed him back asking if he can be more specific, I’ll let you know what he says.

H
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Would it not be a better solution to change the filter itself? Probably not the cheapest idea but may be safer in the long run if positive crankcase ventilation is a fear.

I'm going to have full bolt on mods soon so its interesting to see what you guys are doing. Doughboy are you also using the AR Design OCC? I've tried reading some threads on the USA side of the forum to see which OCC is better but they tend to end in slanging matches between fanboys of their respective companies.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Would it not be a better solution to change the filter itself? Probably not the cheapest idea but may be safer in the long run if positive crankcase ventilation is a fear.

I'm going to have full bolt on mods soon so its interesting to see what you guys are doing. Doughboy are you also using the AR Design OCC? I've tried reading some threads on the USA side of the forum to see which OCC is better but they tend to end in slanging matches between fanboys of their respective companies.
Hi Idnan

Fair point, what's the point in f&"kin about with degreaser n ending up with a half arse job when we can just bung a new filter in say every 10k.

I'll message Andrew n get some prices.
Appreciate 0