E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > rear 335i caliper piston - rebuild kit from bigg red uk

06-25-2024, 09:41 AM   #1
Neosakai
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive

rear 335i caliper piston - rebuild kit from bigg red uk

My 335i rear caliper is sticky so I am trying to rebuild it and noticed my piston is pitted so I purchased a new one from Bigg Red.

To my surprise there isn't really any aftermarket solutions to a rear piston for 335i that I could find. There are alot of aftermarket front pistons and rear pistons only for the 328i (slightly smaller diameter).

I ended up buying from Bigg Red which is based in the UK. Prior to buying it I had concerns about the piston looking a little different from the OEM. I emailed them and they said it was an old picture they had on their site and confirmed TWICE that the rebuild kit will have the piston identical to my OEM piston (the darker one in the below pic). But when the kit arrived it still looked like the one on their site which they claimed was an old pic and thus different looking from the OEM piston.

Anyone know if this difference in design will have any impacts? I assume it'll have minimal impact on performance but wanted to hear what you guys think. And also if anyone know where I can get a piston for the 335i identical to the OEM one without going to the dealer I'd be curious as well.

note: besides the lip/the part of the piston that comes in contact with the pads, everything else seems to be the same. (height, diameter, etc)

Last edited by Neosakai; 06-25-2024 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2024, 03:39 AM   #2
wrevilo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i N55 6MT

My uninformed assumption is that it would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 06:08 AM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I don’t think it will matter BUT I would do both sides so they’re the same design and age.

My dad used to have a construction company and had a dodge diesel truck as his tow rig/beater. He was constantly eating brake rotors and calipers and would replace calipers one at a time. It ALWAYS pulled to whichever direction had the newest caliper lol
Appreciate 0