E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Fluid Pressure

05-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Metal Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Brake Fluid Pressure

My previous performance vehicle was a heavily modified NSX…..12 PSI boost, my own timing and fuel maps, way more output than a stock M3, Brembo calipers on large rotors at all four corners with Porterfield pads, etc, etc, etc. I built that car to my liking and despite very impressive acceleration, the braking capabilities are the outstanding trait on the road courses.

Nothing against Japanese engineering (so no flames, please) but now owning a 335i, I am not only impressed with the low-end torque at comparable boost levels, but the stock brakes on the 335i outperform my Brembo’ed NSX way beyond comparison! Even with the smaller caliper in the back, I am amazed how the BMW stops better. While I am proud of my NSX, in all honesty it overall pales in comparison to the 335i.

Yearning to learn about the three-series, I have ordered a Bentley manual, but am severely impatient for knowledge, so here goes. At aggressive brake pedal effort, what is the hydraulic pressure of the brake fluid in the 335i?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Metal Driver
United_States
Rep

You forgot another parameter, which is equally important as the others you mention, and that is the coefficient of friction for the pad material.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Metal Driver
United_States
Rep

Touché……however we could include a separate, but related set of alternative parameters. Those would be tire contact patch size and tire break-away adhesion. But those are surely discussed elsewhere herein.
Appreciate 0