E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

09-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #221
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
Can someone help a fellow member? I'm getting lines on my camera in the dynavin. I guess I have to use the relay and I bought the one from best buy suggested on herebut I can't figure out the wiring as I'm still getting lines. There are 5 wires coming from the relay and I wired as follows

Black - to ground
Red - to battery
Yellow - to reverse light wire (I tested and tapped the wire that only has power when I'm in reverse
Brown - to camera wire
Orange - ??
I replied to your PM (actually twice - follow the 2nd one as to wiring) Since you have the same relay I recommended, as per the instructions:
  • Black (Terminal #85) to Ground
  • Red (Terminal #86) to Pos+ line of Reverse Light Circuit as Trigger
  • Yellow (Terminal #30 Common) to Battery Pos+ with inline fuse
  • Brown (Terminal #87) to Camera Pos+ Feed
  • Neg- feed of Camera to same Ground as Relay Ground

**Again Orange not used, simply tape it off

When your Reverse light circuit is energized, it sends 12V+ to coil in relay thru Red wire, completes circuit with Black Ground wire thru coil & energizes or 'pulls in' the coil, making contact between the Battery (Brown wire) & Yellow/Common wire that feeds 12V+ to Camera - turning the Camera ON.

I didn't need the relay in my case as I got no camera interference when connecting the camera 12V+ directly to the Gray Pos+ wire running out of my LCI Tailights to my Lux Reverse LED Module.

If you are still getting interference lines, best to contact Jeff, I know he had to install a relay for his camera...

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 12-28-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #222
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Thank you!!!!!! Finally no lines!!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #223
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

looks like your bottom clips are not installed....or at least not clipped into place?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #224
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
looks like your bottom clips are not installed....or at least not clipped into place?
I stuffed the little strip of buttons behind the radio along with all the wiring so it won't go any further back without crushing the buttons. I used the button relocator you sent me initially but i just didn't like the look of it so i'll sacrifice the hill decline assist button since i never use it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #225
jeffb335
Rep

If you are not going to use it, did you try just uplugging the button strip? I dont know if unplugging the hill hold button will trigger a DSC light but I personally drove around with my button strip unplugged for months while I was working with various head units. Now I only have the rear window shade but it wasnt an issue....

Metra makes a nice little storage tray relocator too if you might like the looks of that better...or use it as a home for your phone or something....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #226
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
I stuffed the little strip of buttons behind the radio along with all the wiring so it won't go any further back without crushing the buttons. I used the button relocator you sent me initially but i just didn't like the look of it so i'll sacrifice the hill decline assist button since i never use it anyway.
If you don't mind having that row of buttons buried behind the radio - you have way more than enough room for them back there without interfering with the radio face plate going all the way in at bottom.

Hell, after you remove the OEM HU & the bracket that holds it; the space is cavernous You could almost fit an entire 2nd HU in there under the N6.

Try pushing Up slightly along the bottom of the face plate where the clips are as you are pushing In - I found that EZ way to get clips over edge of dash opening.

Also, you might not have cut off enough of the ears on either side of the HVAC controls which would hinder the faceplate from pushing in from that point down.

I 1st mocked up the HVAC controls (without actually fully installing in faceplate), cut off ears as per instructions, tried it again, ears still protruded past the edge of the faceplate, so I dremeled off more until the ears were within the edge of faceplate.

Another good thing to do is organize all the wires coming out of back of N6 & use wire ties to tidy everything up - instead of just cramming all that spaghetti warehouse of wiring back in behind radio as you install it in dash
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #227
snaimpally
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 F44 M235i GC

Garage List
2022 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you are mixed up about how the MOST adapter works.....if you are running a Helix you wont be using the adapter, you will just plug the dynavins RCA outputs to the Helix's RCA inputs.

The MOST adapter is for adapting the dynavins RCA outputs to the car's optical input.
I readily admit I may be confused about it!

I think I currently have:
optical out from OEM HU -> Mobridge DA2 RCA out -> Helix DSP RCA outs -> amps

I think the Dynavin would change it to:
Dynavin RCA out -> Helix DSP

So I will need an RCA cable from the Dynavin to the trunk (where the L7 amp was located) where my Helix DSP is located.

So is the MOST interface there just to make sure the car's MOST bus remains intact?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #228
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
I readily admit I may be confused about it!

I think I currently have:
optical out from OEM HU -> Mobridge DA2 RCA out -> Helix DSP RCA outs -> amps

I think the Dynavin would change it to:

So I will need an RCA cable from the Dynavin to the trunk (where the L7 amp was located) where my Helix DSP is located.

So is the MOST interface there just to make sure the car's MOST bus remains intact?
You are mixed up about the purpose of the the MOST box.....it is to adapt the dynavins RCA outputs to the MOST fiber cables in the dash that go to the stock amplifier.

You are not using the stock amplifier, you are using a helix......so once you replace the head unit there will no longer be any fiber in use in your system, so there will no longer be any need for any MOST adapters (at either end).

Here is what I think you were thinking:

Dynavin ->MOST adapter-> Mobridge DA2 RCA out -> Helix DSP

But there is no need for the MOST stuff in the middle as you can now just do this:

Just connect the dynavin to the Helix by RCAs and you are done.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #229
snaimpally
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 F44 M235i GC

Garage List
2022 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
You are mixed up about the purpose of the the MOST box.....it is to adapt the dynavins RCA outputs to the MOST fiber cables in the dash that go to the stock amplifier.

You are not using the stock amplifier, you are using a helix......so once you replace the head unit there will no longer be any fiber in use in your system, so there will no longer be any need for any MOST adapters (at either end).

Here is what I think you were thinking:

Dynavin ->MOST adapter-> Mobridge DA2 RCA out -> Helix DSP

But there is no need for the MOST stuff in the middle as you can now just do this:

Just connect the dynavin to the Helix by RCAs and you are done.
Great - thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #230
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 E92

Can i add this even though i have iDrive?

I read all the posts and not a single one asking that.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #231
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iNavyGuy View Post
Can i add this even though i have iDrive?

I read all the posts and not a single one asking that.
no
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #232
RobRogers99
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i 4 Door Sedan

Quote:
nick, email me about this. nathantx's reception issues have been resolved....I have something for you to try.
Hey Jeff, can I piggy back on this? I'll email you as well I'm having reception issues too.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #233
jeffb335
Rep

It will be changed on dynavins site in the near future but for now just email me and ill send you the version I have.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #234
RobRogers99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRogers99 View Post

So far I'm digging the unit. Here's a breakdown of pros and cons from the past couple days:

Pros:
+ The touchscreen is pretty responsive
+ It looks very clean and OEM
+ At night the screen is a beaut
+ "Metro" style Windows-look works well with touch screen and is pleasing to the eye
+ Seamless integration with car's on-board technical specs (oil, fuel, etc)
+ Quick/instant connection to paired phone (very fast)
+ File management is a breeze. Swapped out boot logo very easily
+ Phone call audio quality is good/great with provided mic mounted under the mirror

Cons:
- Screen is a little too dull in daylight (to be expected)
- Navi loads pretty slowly upon boot (from engine start)
- touchscreen can be finicky and it's easy to "fat finger"
- A2DP control is hit and miss (i.e. Play/Pause doesn't work at first, until music is already playing)
- Dynavin support consists of Jeff in this forum. Seriously, their site is awful and there's plenty of "we'll support this soon, I promise".
- Unit has an Audio-breaking bug that is fixed in an update that's not even available to the public yet (covered in previous posts on this thread).

I will update with further problems or "awesome" moments as they happen. I'll also post some photos after this weekend.

UPDATE 9/18/14: Okay a few more in the negative column after having the unit installed and functioning for the better part of a month now...

CONS
- No real-time traffic support. Some of you might be saying "duh" but I live in the LA area and this is a huge issue. (I realize that this was never mentioned one way or another but would like to make it clear to others.) There are even basic Garmin units that provide real time traffic.

- No voice-control of any type through blue-tooth or otherwise. Would be nice to be able to hit my voice control steering wheel button, say a command and have my phone execute said command through the unit. Thought this was a pretty basic function these days but it appears I was mistaken.

- No Text message support at all. No visual or auditory warning whatsoever.

In light of these newest points here's my review as it stands now...

OVERALL REVIEW: I want to preface this by saying that much of this is personal preference and by no means am I speaking for anyone other than myself. I am a little bit on the neutral/negative side of this unit so far but in this day and age my review number can fluctuate depending on updates (of which I hope there are many.)

As of right now? I could do without it honestly. I purchased this unit because I wanted a fully functional nav system with full bluetooth functionality that provided a leg up on the iDrive's look and feel, and what I ended up getting is just the latter.

Though beautiful to look at, a few major software omissions make it a disappointment thus far.

No RT traffic is brutal and basically renders the nav system unusable in my eyes (I have to pull up my phone to see traffic, and look at the nav screen to see streets). I wanted a HU that would almost completely eliminate me from having to pull out my phone in the car on a regular basis, if at all. This unit is definitely not that.

No text message support, no voice dialing support or control of any type, and A2DP that functions minimally are all huge negative points. If it didn't look so damn impressive, and wasn't such a big visual and slight functional upgrade over the stock stereo I think I would pass until Dynavin really steps up their software game.

That said, the good news is that the hardware is still exceptional. With further support this unit could be the best money can buy from a near OEM perspective. Dynavin certainly has the market cornered on that front as there are a very limited number of units out there that look halfway decent and can compete with this one, visually speaking.

Does this unit warrant a near 1000$ pricetag? Well that remains to be seen (again with the support being a huge question mark.) I can see the potential here, big time. But in an ever-growing ever-booming electronic world, having a head unit that isn't even close to capable of executing functions that can be performed on the cell phone in my pocket at nearly a third of the price, is unacceptable to me. That may say more for the aftermarket stereo scene than it does for this unit, but that's a whole another discussion altogether.

TL;DR - 6.5/10

Again, will update these impressions and this review as updates roll out in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #235
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRogers99 View Post
CONS
- No real-time traffic support. Some of you might be saying "duh" but I live in the LA area and this is a huge issue. (I realize that this was never mentioned one way or another but would like to make it clear to others.) There are even basic Garmin units that provide real time traffic.

- No voice-control of any type through blue-tooth or otherwise. Would be nice to be able to hit my voice control steering wheel button, say a command and have my phone execute said command through the unit. Thought this was a pretty basic function these days but it appears I was mistaken.

- No Text message support at all. No visual or auditory warning whatsoever.

I was thinking about this review and how it might relate to me...

Couple of thoughts/suggestions?
I have a Motorola X, and it has a feature that's almost always on, where I say "Okay, Google Now" and ask it to do whatever it might be, weather etc.

I'm almost positive that in my 6FL equipped E90, when I have it connected via bluetooth and running output to the Aux, it will say/speak through the bluetooth and output through the aux and speakers of my car.

This feature also allows me to have texts read back to me over bluetooth as well.

(My e90 doesn't support A2DP streaming, so I actually have my phone connected to a blackberry gateway for A2DP, then run into the aux input)

Just a thought, don't know if it helps any though...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #236
RobRogers99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
I was thinking about this review and how it might relate to me...

Couple of thoughts/suggestions?
I have a Motorola X, and it has a feature that's almost always on, where I say "Okay, Google Now" and ask it to do whatever it might be, weather etc.

I'm almost positive that in my 6FL equipped E90, when I have it connected via bluetooth and running output to the Aux, it will say/speak through the bluetooth and output through the aux and speakers of my car.

This feature also allows me to have texts read back to me over bluetooth as well.

(My e90 doesn't support A2DP streaming, so I actually have my phone connected to a blackberry gateway for A2DP, then run into the aux input)

Just a thought, don't know if it helps any though...

Cheers. I'll have to take a look. The only function I use regularly is A2DP as wireless is preferred...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #237
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Right. Like I said, your phone might work differently than mine, but I can have texts read back to me and whatnot while it's connected via A2DP.

I would imagine that if you're connected via A2DP, you can have the same, though that also means that while you're listening to say, the SD card, or the radio, you won't hear that info coming through.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #238
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Just got back from a 2,300 mile road trip with navigation used every day along with ipod playback and bluetooth streaming. Total of 30+ hours driving. My verdict .... Excellent and worth every penny. I seriously can't knock this unit.

The review above by RobRogers99 confuses me a bit... you are giving negative opinions about something the unit doesn't advertise as having to begin with. Seems a bit harsh to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #239
vasman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d (E92)

iPhone 6

Anyone tested iPhone 6/6+ with the unit? All good?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #240
jeffb335
Rep

I have, works the same as previous iPhones....which is good!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #241
Yngve
Norway
Rep
Drives: '08 E92

Logic 7

Hi,

I have just installed my N6 with MOST in my E92, and have upgraded to 1.0.1 firmware.

Have anyone else installed this with logic 7, and want to share their sound settings? I feel like the underseat subs arn't there anymore. Have tried to active the "OE DSP AMP" setting, but then the volume controls doesn't work (both steeringwheel and dynavin knob).

I have also issues with the radio sound changing a lot when driving (Europe). Was 1.0.1 supposed to fix this, or is there another fix?

Also, with my original HU, I used to start phone calls using my phone, and the HU would take over via bluetooth. This doesn't seem to work anymore. Must calls always start from the Dynavin?

I am in general happy about the unit so far (not tested DAB+ yet), and it looks very good!

Thanks

Last edited by Yngve; 09-20-2014 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #242
jeffb335
Rep

The stock head unit had an EQed output, it wasnt flat, but the dynavin's output IS flat, so you will want to bump up the bass a bit in the EQ or tone controls.

The "OE DSP Amp" settings is not for E90s, leave that off.

For the radio.....email me, I have something for you to try, its not in the official software yet but I think you will find it works well.
Appreciate 0