E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extended warranties

09-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #23
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
The fact is there are laws that prevent the above you are mentioning. They CAN NOT deny you coverage on something that has nothing to do with an aftermarket part.

I have talked extensively with my SA here and he has seen my modded to the gills BMW and told me the same thing. And that they would not deny me coverage if the problem was not caused by the aftermarket part.

If a dealer tries to do this, they are idiot/assmunchers and you can fight it, period.../thread
Ok I tried being nice...

Did your SA write your service contract? He didn't? Then why are you asking him what is and is not covered? And guess what, he has ZERO say when it comes to that decision.

There are NO LAWS that correlate to "service contracts" (extended warranties) in the manner you speak of. I assume you are referring to the magnuson moss warranty act. In which case, you didn't read it very carefully. It applies ONLY to FACTORY warranties. It does NOT apply to "service contracts" such as aftermarket warranties.

Please do not spread such misinformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

" A service contract is a written instrument in which a supplier agrees to perform, over a fixed period or for a specified duration, services relating to the maintenance or repair, or both, of a consumer product. Agreements that meet the statutory definition of service contracts, but are sold and regulated under state law as contracts of insurance, do not come under the Act's provisions."

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16...1.7.71.0.45.11

Google some more if you'd like more reading and proof. Service contracts are exempt from the magnuson moss warranty act, as they are considered "insurance" for business/warranty purposes. As such, they can deny claims for any reasons they outline in the contract, including the personal experiences I conveyed above. People need to understand this drastic difference between factory warranties and extended/aftermarket "warranties".

Last edited by Bmwguy11; 09-06-2011 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #24
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
What does nice have to do with anything?

I will read what you have posted thoroughly and get back.

But I have read through all this over the years (especially since I have owned MANY cars and have dealt with warranties...especially extended warranties).

If it was so easy for a dealer to look at your car when you bring it in and deny you coverage on a broken window motor just because you have different wheels on the car than what came with it....why would not do it everytime? They could save so much money if this was the case.

What you are putting out has to be bad info. It just can't be that easy...
      09-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What does nice have to do with anything?

I will read what you have posted thoroughly and get back.

But I have read through all this over the years (especially since I have owned MANY cars and have dealt with warranties...especially extended warranties).

If it was so easy for a dealer to look at your car when you bring it in and deny you coverage on a broken window motor just because you have different wheels on the car than what came with it....why would not do it everytime? They could save so much money if this was the case.

What you are putting out has to be bad info. It just can't be that easy...
Remember we are talking 2 different things. Factory warranty, you're right, it's not that easy. The law protects us. But with service contracts (aftermarket/extended warranties) that is not the case. Even just a google search of magnuson moss and service contract would turn up a ton of info for you.

Also it should be noted that a CPO is the same as a factory warranty for this purpose.

Now, even though they CAN deny your coverage for such instances as to what my experience was, most times they won't, because honestly that would be bad business. I'm not sure what the deciding factor is though. I tried to pursue a legal option only to find out I had no recourse.

Last edited by Bmwguy11; 09-06-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #26
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

If you are shopping for an extended warranty, don't forget to ask your BMW dealer if they sell 3rd party warranties, in addition to the BMW plans. Many do, and most won't mention them if they can sell you a BMW plan instead!

I was trying to find someone in my area that sold AUL, which was recommended by my long-term indy shop ("We've never had a problem with getting a repair authorized by AUL" was what they said), and finally happened to ask the SA at my dealer today when I took the car in for regular warranty service.

"Oh, sure, we sell several plans in addition to the BMW one, go see the finance manager...". I mentioned I had already done that, and no mention of the 3rd party plans. The SA replied "well, you have to ask, they won't volunteer that!" Turns out they sell AUL, will be getting a quote when I pick up the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
That's a good response...I'll take that...but I still think I can find at least one hole in this, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
Remember we are talking 2 different things. Factory warranty, you're right, it's not that easy. The law protects us. But with service contracts (aftermarket/extended warranties) that is not the case. Even just a google search of magnuson moss and service contract would turn up a ton of info for you.

Also it should be noted that a CPO is the same as a factory warranty for this purpose.

Now, even though they CAN deny your coverage for such instances as to what my experience was, most times they won't, because honestly that would be bad business. I'm not sure what the deciding factor is though. I tried to pursue a legal option only to find out I had no recourse.
      09-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #28
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's a good response...I'll take that...but I still think I can find at least one hole in this, lol...
If you do, I'd love to know. lol. I lost a pretty penny let me tell you. Fortunately my experiences and the others I know, that is NOT the typical experience. Again I have no idea the deciding factor. The best theory I could surmise from my experience was this:

When a major repair is needed (something in excess of X dollar amount), the warranty underwriters or company or whatever send out some kind of claims adjuster, and that person determines if and what is covered, or what is denied. For one reason or another, they occasionally deny claims for some pretty ridiculous reasons. In the case of my friend with the carbon fiber hood, his friend was a mechanic at the dealership. His friend witnessed this adjuster come in, see the car and the carbon fiber hood from a distance of 20 feet, and walk out. And that was it. Claim denied because the car was 'altered'.

Again, not the norm, but possible. People should just understand there is some risk. :/
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #29
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am looking at the Ford ESP warranty. I talked to the SA at the BMW dealership and they work with them alot and do it directly so i dont have to pay and get reimbursed. It also covers the Nav system. 6yr 60000 mile $1700 with $0 deductible.
      09-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #30
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

I'll note that the guy with the 19" wheels hasn't posted back here in a while but I think it is worth noting that few dealerships would deny a warranty claim for an oil leak that costs them nothing on the basis of aftermarket wheels.

The only time that wheel size would come into play is if the wrong size tire was used and the odometer was affected. As I've said so many times before, the one thing that could cause an entire warranty to be void is odometer fraud - and using a completely wrong tire size (thereby altering the rolling diameter) would fall under that category.

There could be other things that we weren't about either that caused the denial.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #31
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I am looking at the Ford ESP warranty. I talked to the SA at the BMW dealership and they work with them alot and do it directly so i dont have to pay and get reimbursed. It also covers the Nav system. 6yr 60000 mile $1700 with $0 deductible.
Just curious, how do you get a Ford ESP for your BMW? Where would you go about purchasing them?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
Supra98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

^^ Interested as well.

I bought an aftermarket warranty from Carchex for my 335i. Once i need to fill a claim, i'll keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0