E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Union Rim Repair: After Photos

03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Union Rim Repair: After Photos

Gents:

Far asked me to post some pics. I didn't take any before pics as I wasn't expecting to post it. Anyway, background:

I was taking my summers off and stood one wheel on the pavement. A gust of wind blew over the wheel onto its face and it spun around on its face, axially. The outer lip was peppered in 1/8"-1/4" chips. Looked similar to a fretted surface. I was surprised that it got down to parent metal, but not as deep as curb rash would be. They said they had to do the whole rim. $150 to dismount the tire, refinish, and remount. Would have been $130 for just refinish. Funny thing is, I think with welding and a more severely damaged rim, it would have been the same price. Not sure though. Check their website.

On with the pics:

Finished rim. Paint is even and face looks great.

Edge looks perfect. Color was spot on. Very even. You can't tell it was ever dropped. Not sure how they evened it out, but I suspect some filler. Damage was not deep into parent material due to the nature of the damage, so they probably didn't need to weld.

Inside the lughole and on the outside circumference of the rim (where the tire hangs over) looks more like overspray to me. Not much clear on these surfaces. It's not noiceable, so I guess they didn't clear it. It's also difficult to clearcoat tight spaces without it pooling and becoming uneven.

A little less attention behind the center caps. Again, hidden from view, so they paid a little less attention.

Masking line.

The barrel has some uneven clear. There is clear on the entire surface, but it looks a little pooled in some spots.

Conclusion:
They paid most attention to the surface that's seen: the face. And it looks nice and new. The clear coat they use feels thicker, and more durable than what Avant Garde shipped these with. At the end of the day, if you guys saw this wheel, you'd never know, so I'm pleased. At $150 though, it's a bit pricey.

Pros:
-Turnaround time of 4 days
-Close to my work (just by yorkdale)
-Face was done well
-Thicker clear coat.

Cons:
-Non-visible faces could have been done better. It doesn't bother me, but for those sticklers out there.
-I requested to not re-mount the tire, they did.
-Price is a little steep.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Looks good. Once you get a little brake dust in those barrels you wont even notice the paint masking lines.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
khadfad
Rep
Drives: bmw

looks like the "hypersilver" to me. look at what other shops charge lol. thats pretty cheap.

http://www.carcone.com/wheel-refinishing.html?tabID=36
"Hyper Silver and Hyper Black paint finish: $240.00"

for a clean quality job. good deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

I like that place
They fixed one of my old rims
And they did a good job as well
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yes it is hypersilver, not sure why it's a little more expensive to use that color, but I noticed that as well.

Not complaining about the job by any means, just pointed out what other people may consider to be flaws. I'd use them again.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Thanks for posting pics, it looks really!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0