E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Heel Toe Technique

08-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #23
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
Have you been able to "heel-toe" on your other cars? If so, you probally just have to get used to the pedal placement on the BMW. The main thing your doing with your right foot is "tilting" it or "rolling" it over to blip the throttle. Keep your right side of your right foot even on the brake and just tilt your left side on to the gas pedal. Try doing this when your not moving, like in your driveway. Once you get the hang of hitting the gas while mainting the same pressure on the brake, your good to start practing on the street.

Next - Double clutch...

Danny
well, this is my first manual car.

i will get the hang of it eventually, i just need to get used to keeping the brake pedal balanced while blipping the throttle. ill give it a shot in the driveway, thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #24
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
well, this is my first manual car.

i will get the hang of it eventually, i just need to get used to keeping the brake pedal balanced while blipping the throttle. ill give it a shot in the driveway, thanks
First manual, yea it will take some time but it seems you have the desire to pursue a higher level of driving experience so I'm confident you'll get the hang of it!Look at the pics I posted for feet/pedal positioning.

Have fun practicing and update us on your progress!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #25
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
This is a reply I posted a while back on the same subject.
Well you can do it either way really, it's whatever works for the driver. I've done both in my BMW before, and method 2 seems to be quicker and more precise.

The trick is to focus on the brake and let the right foot gently but firmly roll over quickly to jab the throttle. It's easier when you're using more braking force, but eventually it'll be easy all around.

Just keep practicing, it'll click.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #26
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Cool

For the heel-toe in practice check out the Drift King's (Keiichi Tsuchiya) Drift Bible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388906/
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Motoring-...7821198&sr=1-1

Just finished downloading it, so I watched immediately, of course and it reminded me this thread. U'll see he's feet in action while presenting various techniques of drifting (actually the 6 basic ones).

Find a small sample AVI attached.

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: zip heeltoe2.zip (300.9 KB, 100 views)

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:02 AM   #27
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Here's another good article on heel-and-toe:

http://www.motivemagazine.com/pub/fe...shifting.shtml
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:

Next - Double clutch...

Danny
That's what I have to start getting down and work on the speed. I can do it if I really focus, and don't rush it.
Guess it's the same as heel/toe driving. When I first started driving a manual I didn't understand it, now it's second nature and I do it without thinking about it.
      09-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #29
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

My instructor told me think of it as squashing a bug then making sure it's dead. lawl
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #30
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

HRC's pics are priceless. Like others, I found in the E90 you are sort of rolling your foot off the brake pedal a little to tap the gas with the right side of your foot.

Practice makes perfect, and practice it slowly. Put in the clutch, brake gently, slowly roll your foot to give the car a little gas so the revs are matched, and let the clutch out. If you start practicing by pretending you are a rally driver, you wont get the hang of it (aka basically stomp the gas and brake at the same time)

And once you get it, the feeling is very rewarding!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #31
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
HRC's pics are priceless...
Thanks Rich! When I look at that pic, I notice how new and clean my shoes were back then, I should post a new pic with the same shoes now...

I totally agree, rev matching satisfies the soul!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0