E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iDrive LCD screen is acting up

01-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

iDrive LCD screen is acting up

I noticed when it started getting colder, maybe about two months ago, the LCD screen for the iDrive looked strange when the system first booted up--the first screen when the "BMW" logo appears. I don't know how to describe it, but the horizontal lines were all messed up and it literally looked like the "BMW" logo screen was burned into the screen, but after the system went to the legal screen, it was back to normal.

I thought this had to do with the cold weather affecting the liquid crystals. But I've noticed this about once or twice a week now when I start the car in the heated garage. And most of the time it works fine. But every once in a while this happens, though. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? It definitely doensn't look right. Is this normal or should I call my dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
After I got my CIP update, I was using iDrive and the display went all funny, similar to how you described it, just before it crashed (I think maybe because there is one module that isn't functioning properly). Maybe your iDrive is also crashing but before it even fully starts up??

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I noticed when it started getting colder, maybe about two months ago, the LCD screen for the iDrive looked strange when the system first booted up--the first screen when the "BMW" logo appears. I don't know how to describe it, but the horizontal lines were all messed up and it literally looked like the "BMW" logo screen was burned into the screen, but after the system went to the legal screen, it was back to normal.

I thought this had to do with the cold weather affecting the liquid crystals. But I've noticed this about once or twice a week now when I start the car in the heated garage. And most of the time it works fine. But every once in a while this happens, though. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? It definitely doensn't look right. Is this normal or should I call my dealer?
Exact same symptom I had in week two on my 6er. Ended up dead and dealer replaced CID based on fault code. Has run 11 months since replaced with no hint of problems.
Appreciate 0