E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need a bov

08-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
GI335I
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Need a bov

Hi guys, so my synapse BOV finally failed. Hated that thing from the first time I've installed and heard it, had higher expectations for it since its WAY different from synapse's ads (sound enhanced vids, mics in the engine bay), turned out not loud at all but kinda sounds good tho.

Anyways, I need a new bov. I need it to be really loud but with no whistle.

I don't like the whistle type like HKS sqv4, but heard the NRG type-s which is a better replica of the greedy type-s that doesen't leaks boost.
actually it sounds good and is really loud

Second choice is the turbo xs RFL, which stands for Really Fucking Loud lol. and it sounds great but heard rumors that it leaks boost.

third choice would be tial Q but skeptical about it beeing loud, idk

synapse are bad, AA will fail eventually (happened to 2 of my friends), don't want dv's, don't want HKS (sounds rice)

Has anyone tried the bovs I've mentioned above?
can you guys give me your opinions, some suggestions, I'm lost here
btw I'm using an ERCP, not sure if it helps.

Too much mods to list..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

In terms of options you’re a bit limited here if Synapse was “quiet”. Not sure if I’ve ever heard of someone saying it wasn’t loud enough, but obviously to each their own on a purely cosmetic mod.

HKS is by far the loudest, and if you swap the inserts around you can get it a little less hissy sounding. Tial is quiet compared to a Synapse, so I strongly doubt you’d be happy with that. Can’t comment on the others, but the fact that no one seems to run them on our platform probably tells you something.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did your synapse fail? Mines only seen about 6K miles but it’s doing just fine.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
GI335I
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
In terms of options you’re a bit limited here if Synapse was “quiet”. Not sure if I’ve ever heard of someone saying it wasn’t loud enough, but obviously to each their own on a purely cosmetic mod.

HKS is by far the loudest, and if you swap the inserts around you can get it a little less hissy sounding. Tial is quiet compared to a Synapse, so I strongly doubt you’d be happy with that. Can’t comment on the others, but the fact that no one seems to run them on our platform probably tells you something.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did your synapse fail? Mines only seen about 6K miles but it’s doing just fine.
I have absolutely no idea, turned my car on this morning, drove to work like I always do, and when the engine temp. got hot enough, I've floored it and was surprised with a really quiet "shahhhh" sound. Sounded way different from the old "wosh" sound and wayyyy quieter, had to floor it all the way (1bar boost) to hear it. when I got to work I've opened up my hood, checked everything and everything seemed to work in order. Asked for a co-worker to step on the gas pedal while I looked at it, everything seemed in order. Idk what's happening. I have around 8-9k miles on it

Too much mods to list..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
TerpEvo
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My input.

Had a Greddy RS and R on a DSM. RS diaphragm took a dive after ~10k. Traded that for a type R and never had a problem with that one. As far as sound goes, the RS is much quieter than the type-s. More whoose than whistle. The R sound very similar to a TIAL. All business noise is a byproduct.

Also come from the 3000/Stealth family and those guys loved their turboXS bovs. The open atmosphere ones were very loud. The two-way or mixed ones sounded pleasant to me. Didn't hear much qualms from that community about reliability.

My plan is to go with TIAL. Enough sound to know it's doing it's job, and let others know what's going on. But not the whistle attention getter some other brands bring.

My 0.02
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

I have TIAL on my 335 and I absolutely love the subtle sound. Just a "chhhhh" noise, nothing fancy or a big squeak. After I straight piped the car I really couldn't hear it but love it nonetheless.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The HKS is probably one of the loudest and best sounding ones.. Most of my customers who want the BOV sound audible go HKS. IF you want a more subtle sound the Tial is the one to go with.

We actually stopped selling synapse BOVs due to their crappy reliability and lack of warranty support from Synspase.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The HKS is probably one of the loudest and best sounding ones.. Most of my customers who want the BOV sound audible go HKS. IF you want a more subtle sound the Tial is the one to go with.

We actually stopped selling synapse BOVs due to their crappy reliability and lack of warranty support from Synspase.

Mike
Well shit now I’m scared mine’s going to explode on the way home from work now

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
TerpEvo
Private
Rep

Synapse doesn't use a diaphragm right? what exactly goes wrong with them? They get stuck? A sealing ring goes bad?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
GI335I
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:
Actually I originally thought that it had a loose spring or something, since when I drove my car the synapse sounded weird.
It turned out to be the sound of air getting out of my intakes rather than getting out of the bov, BECAUSE THE SYNAPSE WAS JAMMED in closed position = HUGE BACKPRESSURE. I'm glad I took it off before something bad happened to my turboes.
Anyways I went with HKS because a friend lended me a spare SQV4 so I could drive the my car temporarily till the time I get a new bov and I totally fell in love with it. Puts the Synapse ashame. Thought Its rice but once I've heard it, it was a whole other story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
Absolutely fell in love with the sqv4. BTW gona order some parts soon Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpEvo View Post
Synapse doesn't use a diaphragm right? what exactly goes wrong with them? They get stuck? A sealing ring goes bad?
It got stuck. It jammed. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Well shit now I’m scared mine’s going to explode on the way home from work now
If it does get jammed, drive real slow lol

Too much mods to list..
Appreciate 0