E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Overheating - Confirmation of Waterpump Failure?

08-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
Bryce-C
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Overheating - Confirmation of Waterpump Failure?

Good Evening Everybody,

So after reading quite a few other stories on these forums I would like a little confirmation or reassurance in my thoughts that the water pump on my car just went out this weekend if possible.

My car is a 2006 325i with roughly 87,500 miles on it and my symptoms are:

Driving home on the freeway, red temperature light comes on, immediately pull over to the shoulder and turn the car off. *Noticed the fan was running pretty quickly when I turned the car off. I open up the hood and it looks like a good amount of coolant has come out of the reservoir. Call a tow truck and get the car towed home since I did not want to risk damaging anything further. After getting the car home and letting it cool off I open up the reservoir and it is nearly bone dry.

So I know the water pump is an extremely common failure point, but my question is would a failed water pump cause coolant to leak from the reservoir? After looking through the engine compartment I do not really see any hoses, etc that leaked coolant, it all appears to have come from the reservoir. But I also do not see any apparent cracks in the reservoir. I do not have a BMW scan tool handy but are there any tests I can do at home to confirm its the water pump before paying a diagnostics fee at the local shop?

Thanks for the input.
      08-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

What you described is the classic symptoms of a failed water pump. The car over heats and coolant is spewed all over the coolant reservoir. It
is the pump, no doubt about it. Scanning the car with a BMW scan tool will confirm it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

After the pump has failed, the cooland will boil out and overflow from the fill-hole on the cooland tank. What you describe matches exactly a WP failure symptoms.
Appreciate 0