E90Post
 


European Auto Source (EAS)
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Say what????



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Say what????

I know this discussions in this sub-forum are often quite heated. Well, this isn't likely one of those.

What religious or political comments have you come across that are just plain ridiculous. I'm not talking about matters that are or could be strongly debated, I'm talking about the stupid stuff that gets said from time to time. Here are some examples (if nothing else, our last President made me laugh often):

  • The thing that's important for me is to remember what's the most important thing.
  • One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
George W. Bush is credited with both those pearls of wisdom.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9036
Rep
8,023
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

"I'm not a crook"

quoted to ANY politician in office.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
10
Rep
447
Posts

Drives: 335i M Sport Conv
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

You gotta love George W... He is a bit like our Mayor of London... Boris Johnson, did any of you guys see him stuck in the middle of a zip wire.. Classic photo shoot anyone would think the press planned it.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Since I'm getting the vibe that this thread might turn into a "bash the last cowboy President" session, I thought I'd throw in these gems to keep people honest, or at least informed:

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it."
-President Obama in regards to implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4440120.html

"The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant,”
- President Obama's threat assessment of ISIS back in January of 2014.

http://www.nationalreview.com/campai...e-jim-geraghty

Well it turns out that many people can't keep their prior health plans with the Affordable Care Act. It also turns out that ISIS, the group that has carved a Sunni caliphate spanning Syria and Iraq, isn't so Jayvee.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
40
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: 2013 6MT 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

"the smoking gun can turn into a mushroom cloud"
__________________
135i Coupe N55 PPK+JB4
X3 30d LCI
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
PINeely's Avatar
United_States
1004
Rep
1,898
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (2)

Joe Biden is full of them. My personal favorites are his 3-letter word, "Jobs; J-O-B-S" and asking the kid in the wheelchair to stand up so that everyone could see him.

A lot of politicians also get busted later and have to admit that they signed bills which they didn't read.

Last edited by PINeely; 08-29-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Since I'm getting the vibe that this thread might turn into a "bash the last cowboy President" session, I thought I'd throw in these gems to keep people honest, or at least informed:

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it."
-President Obama in regards to implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4440120.html

"The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant,”
- President Obama's threat assessment of ISIS back in January of 2014.

http://www.nationalreview.com/campai...e-jim-geraghty

Well it turns out that many people can't keep their prior health plans with the Affordable Care Act. It also turns out that ISIS, the group that has carved a Sunni caliphate spanning Syria and Iraq, isn't so Jayvee.
  1. I didn't intend this to be a Bush-bashing session. I chose those statements because they are inane no matter from what context or perspective one considers them or who says (said) them pr when. I attributed them to G.W.B. because they are his words.

    I don't disagree that it's important to remember the things that are important, and while books do sometimes have nice pictures, the vast majority of them have value for their words, rather than the pictures, although there are certainly some books -- picture books -- that are valued for the imagery they contain. That said, of one is reading Fun with Dick and Jane, one will find some nice pictures.
  2. The first Obama statement, while time has shown them to be inaccurate, the statement could not have been called silly at the time it was uttered. Even now, it's not a stupid statement, but rather one that's incorrect.

    The second Obama statement is one that is about context. You, I or others may today, or in the past, disagree with the President's assessment of ISIS' comparative place in the world, so to speak, but as a metaphor that identifies his administrations assessment of ISIS at the time the statement was made, again, it's not an insipid statement.

    Saying factually incorrect, particularly when it's not clear at the time that one is mistaken, or that hindsight will later prove fallacious, differs from saying something that is ridiculous from the get go.
The OP in the thread asks for examples of statements you've heard/read that are so outlandish that they make the audience, who was expecting something intelligent to come from the speaker's mouth. I don't mean that the speaker should have to come forth with statements as weighty as "E=MC^2" or "I think; therefore I am.", just something having a bit more gravitas than what one could expect from a ten year old.


I chose G.W.B. to illustrate the idea of the sort of statements I meant for two main reasons:
  • Presidents are easy picks for this sort of thing because as President, they are expected not to say "stupid sh*t."
  • When one looks at a list of G.W.B. quotes, the vast majority of them will be stupid statements. It was just a matter of convenience and knowing I would very quickly find something suitable. Don't believe that's so? Here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot....George_W_Bush . Indeed, with G.W.B., for most webpage creators, the challenge is to select the top however-many stupid things he said rather than just listing the stupid things he said and being done with it.
As I said in the OP, I'm not soliciting debatable statements. For example, Obama said, "I do think at is certain point you’ve made enough money." To that, I would ask, "Say what? How much is enough, in your Presidential opinion?" However, that Obama feels that way has to do with his views on economics. I may have differing views, but the statement he made expresses an idea that does more than state the obvious or show the he quite simply doesn't understand the point of a thing, such as that books' value come from the words not the pictures.


Lastly, although I suggested posting quotes from political and/or religious leaders, the reason for that is because, as implied above, they are easy "targets." Certainly, one can choose statements from other types of individuals. For example:
  • What's Walmart? Do they sell, like, wall stuff? ― Paris Hilton
I know Miss Hilton is another easy target. Mind you, I don't have high expectations of seminal blasts of profundity issuing from her lips, but I do expect she would know better than that quote above. In contrast, I suspect it'd be hard to find stupid statements from, say, Oprah. I'm sure she's said a few stupid things in her day -- we all have -- but most of hers probably didn't get very well documented.



All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufnekfatboy View Post
You gotta love George W... He is a bit like our Mayor of London... Boris Johnson, did any of you guys see him stuck in the middle of a zip wire.. Classic photo shoot anyone would think the press planned it.

[video deleted]
Nice video. TY.

I don't know much about London's mayor. Does he do ridiculous things knowing well that he might look silly doing them, that is for comedic effect or to bolster an "everyman/man of the people" image? Or is he like Wile E Coyote and just not know any better?

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
[LIST=1][*]The first Obama statement, while time has shown them to be inaccurate, the statement could not have been called silly at the time it was uttered. Even now, it's not a stupid statement, but rather one that's incorrect.
The first statement is inaccurate. What is silly or rather borderline insane is that the President, and all of his democratic supporters, pretended to not know that these would be the consequences in advance.

Either the President is that incompetent that he doesn't even know the true outcome of a bill that he himself authored and signed, or he deliberately lied to the American people when he said that they could keep their previous plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
[LIST=1]
The second Obama statement is one that is about context. You, I or others may today, or in the past, disagree with the President's assessment of ISIS' comparative place in the world, so to speak, but as a metaphor that identifies his administrations assessment of ISIS at the time the statement was made, again, it's not an insipid statement.
Again, this is both inaccurate and insane. 7 months ago, President Obama declared that ISIS was a "JV" threat not worth the attention of the US. Now, he hasn't just backtracked, he is struggling to figure out how to contain what he has classified an imminent threat to US security....you don't see the irony in that? It was very obvious to many international think tanks and analysts 1-2 years ago that instability in Syria would lead to this kind of mess, yet somehow President Obama and his elite advisers didn't see the same implications.

All of this is silly and nonsense, because many support this man and tout him as being the common sense alternative to the previous "cowboy" president when in fact he has made his own set of egregious mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
[LIST=1]
I chose G.W.B. to illustrate the idea of the sort of statements I meant for two main reasons:
[LIST][*]Presidents are easy picks for this sort of thing because as President, they are expected not to say "stupid sh*t."[*]When one looks at a list of G.W.B. quotes, the vast majority of them will be stupid statements. It was just a matter of convenience and knowing I would very quickly find something suitable.
As for Presidents saying inherently stupid #*$, all Presidents have done that. GW got picked on the most for it in recent years, but President Obama has his own list of nonsensical statements:

"This doesn't have to do with the politics of the moment, this has to do with what can we get done right now.."



And plenty of others:




This is one is particularly hilarious:


"And if they gave him treatment early...and uhh they got some treatment.."

Like I said, everyone has their WTF moments, but for some reason, the intellectually elite, like yourself, only find GW's moments funny and worthy of your derision.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
  1. I didn't intend this to be a Bush-bashing session. I chose those statements because they are inane no matter from what context or perspective one considers them or who says (said) them pr when. I attributed them to G.W.B. because they are his words.

    I don't disagree that it's important to remember the things that are important, and while books do sometimes have nice pictures, the vast majority of them have value for their words, rather than the pictures, although there are certainly some books -- picture books -- that are valued for the imagery they contain. That said, of one is reading Fun with Dick and Jane, one will find some nice pictures.
  2. The first Obama statement, while time has shown them to be inaccurate, the statement could not have been called silly at the time it was uttered. Even now, it's not a stupid statement, but rather one that's incorrect.

    The second Obama statement is one that is about context. You, I or others may today, or in the past, disagree with the President's assessment of ISIS' comparative place in the world, so to speak, but as a metaphor that identifies his administrations assessment of ISIS at the time the statement was made, again, it's not an insipid statement.

    Saying factually incorrect, particularly when it's not clear at the time that one is mistaken, or that hindsight will later prove fallacious, differs from saying something that is ridiculous from the get go.
The OP in the thread asks for examples of statements you've heard/read that are so outlandish that they make the audience, who was expecting something intelligent to come from the speaker's mouth. I don't mean that the speaker should have to come forth with statements as weighty as "E=MC^2" or "I think; therefore I am.", just something having a bit more gravitas than what one could expect from a ten year old.


I chose G.W.B. to illustrate the idea of the sort of statements I meant for two main reasons:
  • Presidents are easy picks for this sort of thing because as President, they are expected not to say "stupid sh*t."
  • When one looks at a list of G.W.B. quotes, the vast majority of them will be stupid statements. It was just a matter of convenience and knowing I would very quickly find something suitable. Don't believe that's so? Here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot....George_W_Bush . Indeed, with G.W.B., for most webpage creators, the challenge is to select the top however-many stupid things he said rather than just listing the stupid things he said and being done with it.
As I said in the OP, I'm not soliciting debatable statements. For example, Obama said, "I do think at is certain point you’ve made enough money." To that, I would ask, "Say what? How much is enough, in your Presidential opinion?" However, that Obama feels that way has to do with his views on economics. I may have differing views, but the statement he made expresses an idea that does more than state the obvious or show the he quite simply doesn't understand the point of a thing, such as that books' value come from the words not the pictures.


Lastly, although I suggested posting quotes from political and/or religious leaders, the reason for that is because, as implied above, they are easy "targets." Certainly, one can choose statements from other types of individuals. For example:
  • What's Walmart? Do they sell, like, wall stuff? ― Paris Hilton
I know Miss Hilton is another easy target. Mind you, I don't have high expectations of seminal blasts of profundity issuing from her lips, but I do expect she would know better than that quote above. In contrast, I suspect it'd be hard to find stupid statements from, say, Oprah. I'm sure she's said a few stupid things in her day -- we all have -- but most of hers probably didn't get very well documented.



All the best.
Also you need to learn how to condense your posts. No one has the time or the inclination to read your multi-paragraph responses. Besides being tedious and overly wordy, your posts also carry a patronizing tone that further dissuades people from taking you seriously.

This is a car forum, not a political science class...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
The first statement is inaccurate. What is silly or rather borderline insane is that the President, and all of his democratic supporters, pretended to not know that these would be the consequences in advance.

... [videos deleted]

Again, this is both inaccurate and insane. 7 months ago, President Obama declared that ISIS was a "JV" threat not worth the attention of the US. Now, he hasn't just backtracked...
You really needed all that to corroborate the statements int he post with which you purportedly disagree? Really?

Whether they had any probability assessments that predicted the outcome we see today is a debatable and that's why on the face of it, the statement isn't insipid from jump.

We all seem to have this expectation that our political leaders are 100% infallible. They are not. They make mistakes.

Lastly, based on what I read in your most recent post, it's not clear to me that you understand the difference between "inane" and "insane." I'm not trying to attack you or your intelligence by saying that. I'm just saying that the context of your statements lead me to think you may be confused re: those two traits. One can be quite stupid and not be insane.

I don't think G.W.B or Obama is insane, but I do think each of them has made insipid statements. Here is are a couple of Obama's:
  • The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries.
  • Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's.
All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
...

This is a car forum, not a political science class...
Actually, this is the Politics/Religion sub-forum. You'd notice that were you to look at the top of the page.

Is that a sufficiently terse reply?

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Actually, this is the Politics/Religion sub-forum. You'd notice that were you to look at the top of the page.

Is that a sufficiently terse reply?

All the best.



Much better!!! Now just make sure you keep all of your future posts like this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

Lastly, based on what I read in your most recent post, it's not clear to me that you understand the difference between "inane" and "insane." I'm not trying to attack you or your intelligence by saying that. I'm just saying that the context of your statements lead me to think you may be confused re: those two traits. One can be quite stupid and not be insane.
No, I was deliberate in my use of the word "insane." I don't think President Obama's earlier statements about the Affordable Care Act or the ISIS threat were "inane." Nor do I think President Obama is "insane." I do think that the American political audience is "insane" for giving President Obama free passes on those 2 issues, especially considering how they have both snowballed into enormous problems as of late.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
No, I was deliberate in my use of the word "insane." I don't think President Obama's earlier statements about the Affordable Care Act or the ISIS threat were "inane." Nor do I think President Obama is "insane." I do think that the American political audience is "insane" for giving President Obama free passes on those 2 issues, especially considering how they have both snowballed into enormous problems as of late.
Inane:
Okay....I think I asked folks to share inane statements, but whatever....I thought you were making the claim that the referenced statements were silly. My mistake...

American People:
Okay, again. You're free to think that. I disagree. Party because I don't have the facts that he had when he made the statements and partly because, as I said, everyone makes mistakes and misreads situations.

We hope our leaders don't make too many of them, but their jobs place them in a position whereby they have more weighty decisions to make than does the typical citizen. Consequently, it's easy to see them as goofing more than most folks. At the end of the day, however, I recognize that we elect folks to do the best they can with the information they have and in the interest of we whom they govern and lead.

I can't forget also that hindsight is always infallible and that's it's not fair for me to judge leaders' current actions against the bar of my hindsight some months or years after they chose a course of action. What I do hold against them is not owing their mistakes, admitting the blunder and identifying a solution to correcting for it.

EDIT:
The other thing I hold against, not only politicians but everyone else, is blatant lying. The most recent example that comes to mind is the Bush Administration's assertion that they had proof that Saddam H. had WMDs. Hindsight has shown that Iraq had no such weapons and the U.S. had no such proof. Had the Administration said "we think" rather than "we know," I'd today be more than willing to call it a mistake and let bygones be bygones.

"The past is always tense and the future perfect."
- Zadie Smith

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-30-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post

Much better!!! Now just make sure you keep all of your future posts like this one.
I won't lie to you. That's not likely to happen. I rarely think or write in "sound bites."

If some are too long for you, don't read them. I can live with that. I ask only that you don't refute or reply to them if you haven't read them. However, I will also thank you advance for responding with equally complete thoughts if/when you do take the time to read them.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Inane:
Okay....I think I asked folks to share inane statements, but whatever....I thought you were making the claim that the referenced statements were silly. My mistake...
Well you didn't specify that you were looking for inane statements. You said you were looking for ridiculous comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
What religious or political comments have you come across that are just plain ridiculous. I'm not talking about matters that are or could be strongly debated, I'm talking about the stupid stuff that gets said from time to time.
I, as well as many others, consider some of President Obama's statements to be ridiculous given how erroneous they have turned out to be. And there is no debate about the error of his statements....many news outlets just don't talk about these statements he made either because they cater to a certain political spectrum or because they lack journalistic professionalism....but there is no debate about whether or not they were wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
We hope our leaders don't make too many of them, but their jobs place them in a position whereby they have more weighty decisions to make than does the typical citizen. Consequently, it's easy to see them as goofing more than most folks. At the end of the day, however, I recognize that we elect folks to do the best they can with the information they have and in the interest of we whom they govern and lead.
No one is perfect, but when a political leader fails to deliver on the promises he campaigned on and blunders from one foreign policy fiasco into another, the voters have every reason to question his abilities. The Obama administration's laundry list of scandals and problems has grown long...so when is it appropriate in your opinion to assign blame where blame is due?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I can't forget also that hindsight is always infallible and that's it's not fair for me to judge leaders' current actions against the bar of my hindsight some months or years after they chose a course of action.
That's what makes Obama's assessment of ISIS and his foreign policy towards Iraq, or lack thereof, so ridiculous...we've dealt with these types of threats and problems before and we've seen what they can become over time!!

Obama had the value of hindsight back in January when ISIS began to take control of Fallujah and other parts of western Iraq. We saw, under Bush, what could happen when Sunni extremist groups grew disillusioned with the Iraqi government. And yet Obama did nothing..he sat back and watched as the violence and extremism spilled over from Syria into Iraq and re-ignited the old sectarian strife that US had fought so hard to pacify during the Bush years (and had largely succeeded).


Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
EDIT:
The other thing I hold against, not only politicians but everyone else, is blatant lying. The most recent example that comes to mind is the Bush Administration's assertion that they had proof that Saddam H. had WMDs. Hindsight has shown that Iraq had no such weapons and the U.S. had no such proof. Had the Administration said "we think" rather than "we know," I'd today be more than willing to call it a mistake and let bygones be bygones.
See this makes sense now. I think I have a better understanding of your views. When Obama makes blatantly obvious foreign policy mistakes....you have no issues giving him a break. Either he:
a) is only human and can't always make the right decision
b) he doesn't have the value of hindsight (which I think he did in the case of Iraq and Libya and Syria)


But when President Bush is trying to assess foreign threats in the wake of the most bloody terrorist attack on US soil, decides to force UN-sanctioned weapons compliance on a rogue state, all of a sudden the "hindsight" and "nobody is perfect" arguments don't apply....

Nice double standard...

Do you see now why I was worried that this would turn into another bash "the cowboy" session?

Last edited by Dalko43; 08-30-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
bbbbmw
Major General
2379
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Here's a couple more favorites:



"you have to pass the bill (healthcare) to find out what's in the bill"



"you can't go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent"
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #20
bbbbmw
Major General
2379
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

However... All of these pale in comparison to the GaffeMaster. A Saturday Night Live show with legs. The Onion in a suit. Ladies and Gentlemen, please read Prince Philip:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ive-65-1445185
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #21
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
However... All of these pale in comparison to the GaffeMaster. A Saturday Night Live show with legs. The Onion in a suit. Ladies and Gentlemen, please read Prince Philip:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ive-65-1445185
Those are great. I enjoyed reading them.

I can see how they are seen as ridiculous by may observers. Having a living 96 year old father;' however, I think I have a sense of what motivated some of those comments.

My dad, for more than a few years now, has been considerably transparent with many of his comments. Moreover, quite a few of them that he's made to non-family members are really only the sorts of things one might say to immediate family.

I suspect that mild senility has befallen the Prince as it has in a small way affected my father. Some folks would say that it's merely a matter that he's not "losing it," but rather that he's old enough to know he doesn't need to give a damn what other folks think of his comments so long as he's not blatantly offensive. That is often enough quite likely so, and the sort of forthrightness in some of the Prince's comments suggest that may be so for him as well, but I notice more and more that he makes comments that were this the 1920 or '30s, they would be on point. More than a few of the comments the Prince made struck me that way. For example, his comment to the Nigerian President made sense if one recalls that back in the Prince's youth folks wore something not dissimilar from the Nigerian leader's robes.

Of course, there is the fact that folks from the Prince's and Dad's generation were far more willing to speak their mind than we are today, so concerned with political correctness and being too "chicken sh*t," quite frankly, to own our thoughts and stand up for and/or behind them. Several of the Prince's comments struck me as typically British, upper crust, smug humor, but some of them seemed to be quite revealing, in the best sense of "less is more."

For example, his question to the naval corpwoman of whom he asked if she's a stripper suggested to me that he's aware that many young, attractive and yet intellectually adept women supplement their income by stripping because it's one of the best ways to make a lot of money with very little time commitment. I suspect the Prince doesn't come across many women of whom he could ask that question and reasonably expect they would answer, "yes." Odds are he knows his opportunities to ask that question are few and far between. He likely felt he needed to ask when an even mildly plausible opportunity presented itself, especially at his age, to say nothing of what other young women he encounters.

That's exactly how my father would see that situation and he might very well ask the same question. He wouldn't mean any harm by asking, he'd just know that he's not going to meet anyone better to ask. Would a young lady respond "yes" had Dad asked, he'd have absolutely had a ton of questions beyond that about strippers and stripping. Back in his day, it was a somewhat taboo matter, so in his mind, he'll have waited a lifetime to learn whatever he wanted to know about the subject, but he would nonetheless go to his grave having found out. That's what would be important to him.

All the best.

EDIT:
One other thing that comes to mind, particularly as it pertains to folks in their 80s and 90s is that they come from an era where a question was more often used to discover information, not as a means to deliver a sideways slight to someone one hardly knows. I think that factor is very much in play with old folks because from what I' observe with my parents, as dementia sets in, folks "revert" to the world and mores of their youth.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 09-02-2014 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #22
bbbbmw
Major General
2379
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Those are great. I enjoyed reading them.

I can see how they are seen as ridiculous by may observers. Having a living 96 year old father;' however, I think I have a sense of what motivated some of those comments.

My dad, for more than a few years now, has been considerably transparent with many of his comments. Moreover, quite a few of them that he's made to non-family members are really only the sorts of things one might say to immediate family.

I suspect that mild senility has befallen the Prince as it has in a small way affected my father. Some folks would say that it's merely a matter that he's not "losing it," but rather that he's old enough to know he doesn't need to give a damn what other folks think of his comments so long as he's not blatantly offensive. That is often enough quite likely so, and the sort of forthrightness in some of the Prince's comments suggest that may be so for him as well, but I notice more and more that he makes comments that were this the 1920 or '30s, they would be on point. More than a few of the comments the Prince made struck me that way. For example, his comment to the Nigerian President made sense if one recalls that back in the Prince's youth folks wore something not dissimilar from the Nigerian leader's robes.

Of course, there is the fact that folks from the Prince's and Dad's generation were far more willing to speak their mind than we are today, so concerned with political correctness and being too "chicken sh*t," quite frankly, to own our thoughts and stand up for and/or behind them. Several of the Prince's comments struck me as typically British, upper crust, smug humor, but some of them seemed to be quite revealing, in the best sense of "less is more."

For example, his question to the naval corpwoman of whom he asked if she's a stripper suggested to me that he's aware that many young, attractive and yet intellectually adept women supplement their income by stripping because it's one of the best ways to make a lot of money with very little time commitment. I suspect the Prince doesn't come across many women of whom he could ask that question and reasonably expect they would answer, "yes." Odds are he knows his opportunities to ask that question are few and far between. He likely felt he needed to ask when an even mildly plausible opportunity presented itself, especially at his age, to say nothing of what other young women he encounters.

That's exactly how my father would see that situation and he might very well ask the same question. He wouldn't mean any harm by asking, he'd just know that he's not going to meet anyone better to ask. Would a young lady respond "yes" had Dad asked, he'd have absolutely had a ton of questions beyond that about strippers and stripping. Back in his day, it was a somewhat taboo matter, so in his mind, he'll have waited a lifetime to learn whatever he wanted to know about the subject, but he would nonetheless go to his grave having found out. That's what would be important to him.

All the best.

EDIT:
One other thing that comes to mind, particularly as it pertains to folks in their 80s and 90s is that they come from an era where a question was more often used to discover information, not as a means to deliver a sideways slight to someone one hardly knows. I think that factor is very much in play with old folks because from what I' observe with my parents, as dementia sets in, folks "revert" to the world and mores of their youth.
Agreed - old folks can say stuff others only think. But this guy has ben making these comments his entire life. Either he doesn't have a filter, or just doesn't give a crap. Either way, it's entertaining - as long as it doesn't start a war...
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST