E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does Terraclean work?

11-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Does Terraclean work?

I have search and found nothing. I was going to get this done but some other modifications were on my list hence kept this on my long waiting list.

And found this article describing terraclean....
http://www.oilem.com/terraclean-and-...aning-systems/

And last paragraph is referring to wallnust blasting.

PS: I have crossed terraclean from my list!
      11-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Good find Sam, re the Terraclean we as I said on a previous post looked into it, but felt that due to the issues of the engines we see with issues(direct injection)the process wouldn't solve the main problem(as described in the piece you've enclosed in your OP)

Do I think it works, well yes I do, but on the cars we see its chipping away at the surface, but it will make a contribution.

On petrols I've seen, felt and driven quite a few cars now that have had the procedure undertaken(petrol only at this stage)and I've written my thoughts re the differences everyone reports the same results regarding post work findinfs(smoother running, quieter running, more even tick over, better throttle response, slightly improved fuel consumption)

On diesels its a different beast, we've only done one test on a 320d head, we haven't yet had a car in so that we can do pre/post work analyst. But if you look at how contaminated the diesels get both on the EGR, inlet manifold let alone the inlet ports and in head ports, you've got to say if these are all de contaminated then it's got to do the car good and you'll be able to return the power and efficiency that's been lost due to carbon erosion that's set in over many years/miles of motoring.

But going back to Terraclean both on petrols and diesels after a walnut blast to see if another improvement is detectable would it be a smart move to get the procedure done post blast? Now that's an idea!
      11-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Sam,

I had this done on my M3. Simple operation and took about 45 mins. at the time (18 Months ago) no one in my area did it so had to travel about 50 miles, so worked out quite expensive.
To be honest i saw a small improvement in MPG, 1 or 2 MPG, but not significant enough to notice, or accurately measure. Maybe it was wishful thinking.
A very small improvement in throttle pick up, no difference in the famous E46 M3 Kangaroo hops when cold starting, which was one of the main reasons for having it done.

So TBH, i won't be taking my E90 to have it done. Cost of work against improvements extremely minimal. I think if you have a really high mileage car 90K+ then you may see more significant improvements.

HTH Sam

Steve
      11-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Sam,

I had this done on my M3. Simple operation and took about 45 mins. at the time (18 Months ago) no one in my area did it so had to travel about 50 miles, so worked out quite expensive.
To be honest i saw a small improvement in MPG, 1 or 2 MPG, but not significant enough to notice, or accurately measure. Maybe it was wishful thinking.
A very small improvement in throttle pick up, no difference in the famous E46 M3 Kangaroo hops when cold starting, which was one of the main reasons for having it done.

So TBH, i won't be taking my E90 to have it done. Cost of work against improvements extremely minimal. I think if you have a really high mileage car 90K+ then you may see more significant improvements.

HTH Sam

Steve
Steve, what you say makes sense, we've had more than several E46 M3's through our doors with the infamous kangaroo symptoms you've described and your tight Terraclean won't address this issues, though it'll clean the fuel side of things up to a degree, but those kangaroo symptoms are down to the cars OEM map rather than anything else, we've updated many a 2003/04 M3 to BMW latest software which assists a little re this issue, but the real gains on the M3 come from a re map where you ca dial out the issue largely by altering the fuel, the ignition, timing and also the annoying fuel cut off that's part of these cars DNA. So many customers complained about the E46 M3's issues as you've described BMW had to do something about it(with in the Euro3&4 emission rules)think Fiat and their latest drama re Euro 6 and the 1.2 500 and you'll get the idea.

When you're allowed to alter the issue that's in front of you by carefully altering various parameters that are creating a certain drive ability issue, then you largely achieve the required results as the solution is to correct the way the cars been programmed from day 1, which is to met an emission target and sadly as you've discovered doesn't lie in a bottle of chemical treatment, though it can make a small dent in how the csr drives.
      11-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Good find Sam, re the Terraclean we as I said on a previous post looked into it, but felt that due to the issues of the engines we see with issues(direct injection)the process wouldn't solve the main problem(as described in the piece you've enclosed in your OP)

Do I think it works, well yes I do, but on the cars we see its chipping away at the surface, but it will make a contribution.

On petrols I've seen, felt and driven quite a few cars now that have had the procedure undertaken(petrol only at this stage)and I've written my thoughts re the differences everyone reports the same results regarding post work findinfs(smoother running, quieter running, more even tick over, better throttle response, slightly improved fuel consumption)

On diesels its a different beast, we've only done one test on a 320d head, we haven't yet had a car in so that we can do pre/post work analyst. But if you look at how contaminated the diesels get both on the EGR, inlet manifold let alone the inlet ports and in head ports, you've got to say if these are all de contaminated then it's got to do the car good and you'll be able to return the power and efficiency that's been lost due to carbon erosion that's set in over many years/miles of motoring.

But going back to Terraclean both on petrols and diesels after a walnut blast to see if another improvement is detectable would it be a smart move to get the procedure done post blast? Now that's an idea!
Interesting concept of terraclean after walnut blast but I would not expect anything out of that experiment. As per article, its very similar to any fuel additives used to clean deposits. And walnut blast will do that better than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Sam,

HTH Sam

Steve

Steve
Many thanks for your feedback. Article which I attached sums it all mate.
I have gone down the route of taking manifold off and cleaned it. Rest of them will be cured by walnut blasting (if I keep my car).
As per article above terraclean is no better than any engine cleaning fluid which goes into fuel.
      11-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Interesting concept of terraclean after walnut blast but I would not expect anything out of that experiment. As per article, its very similar to any fuel additives used to clean deposits. And walnut blast will do that better than anything else.

Steve
Many thanks for your feedback. Article which I attached sums it all mate.
I have gone down the route of taking manifold off and cleaned it. Rest of them will be cured by walnut blasting (if I keep my car).
As per article above terraclean is no better than any engine cleaning fluid which goes into fuel.
i think on diesels the walnut blasts the ultimate solution for this issue Sam, the TerraClean concept is very good a lot more high tech than simply poring a bottle of jollop in the tank. I've used not retail fuel additives from Forte and TunAp and on mine at least haven't felt a thing, but maybe that's just my car on others who knows, but on the subject of fuel additives remember this 5th Gear Test some years ago www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG3j0g88kXs though not talking about reducing carbon they claim all to produce more power by doing certain things when added to a tank.

And talking of fuel which all cars need looking at this 5th Gear Test on Fuel
(though this test is petrol not diesel)but seems thorough

Made interesting viewing

Last edited by old grey steve; 11-15-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

I thought about getting this done pre remap , but never did in the end

I run my derv on vpower , as I think fuel quality has a lot to do with this , iv noticed in the usa they have intake services , first I was like wtf is a intake service , but it's basicly a terraclean, interesting story tho (and can't talk for the effects for anything else here) but I'm fairly "in" on the ford side of life (race a focus ect) and from ford usa , they say do not do intake service on there new Ecoboost engines , turns out that it damages the turbo , and on the Eco boost its a fairly expensive part

How it's damaged is this terraclean burns silly hot , on a ecoboost the turbo is only about 3-4" away from the head due to the design of the manifold , the heat gets so hot (needed to burn the carbon out) that it damages the turbo

Now I know we don't have ecoboost engines fitted , but we do have a direct inject turbo engine fitted , and that for me was enough to be cautious about this service , for now , prob better taking off the intake and giving everything a good clean out by hand/dread mill and a good hover/blow out
Appreciate 0