E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 M3 Carbon Fiber Roof

06-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
ralphwarren
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Race Car

E90 M3 Carbon Fiber Roof

The next step in weight savings for the race car will be a carbon fiber roof!

Lang Racing Development is local to me here in So. Cal and they were willing to make one without the antenna hole...

http://store.langracing.com/bmw-e90-...er-roof-panel/

I was just emailed a couple pics of it "hot off the mold"... I am psyched!

The car is just under 3000 lbs now as it sits, which is light for an E90 M3, but heavy compared to the front-running race cars we're up against.

This roof will save us 16lbs! I went with the race car version with the foam core. Every little bit helps.

I will post pics of the install as it occurs.

Now for the hard part... removing the steel roof

-Ralph Warren
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

16LBs for the roof? That seems a LOT less than I would assume, considering a hood is more or less the same savings. Not roasting, I love this mod - Just shocked in the amount loss vs. what I had assumed (I had assumed closer to 50lbs).

Keep us updated man, how bad is labor to install?
      06-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
LangRacingDevelopment
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
16LBs for the roof? That seems a LOT less than I would assume, considering a hood is more or less the same savings. Not roasting, I love this mod - Just shocked in the amount loss vs. what I had assumed (I had assumed closer to 50lbs).

Keep us updated man, how bad is labor to install?
If you have a sunroof it is over 50 lbs.

If you have no sunroof you are basically replacing the steel skin with a carbon skin so its the difference of the 24lb. skin to the 7lb carbon skin.
      06-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangRacingDevelopment View Post

If you have no sunroof you are basically replacing the steel skin with a carbon skin so its the difference of the 24lb. skin to the 7lb carbon skin.
Ah, sunroof - makes sense. Yes, okay - now I feel better.
      06-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

You are also shedding weight from the highest possible part of the vehicle. I didn't go to science school, but COG benefits can outweigh (how about that pun) general mass reduction easily I'm guessing.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
You are also shedding weight from the highest possible part of the vehicle. I didn't go to science school, but COG benefits can outweigh (how about that pun) general mass reduction easily I'm guessing.
Yeah, I would think so.
      02-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangRacingDevelopment View Post

Very interested in this for my e90 with sunroof. Roll bar is being made for my car as I type this, and a cf roof is the next step for me.

Am I correct to think that because this is a "skin," the bottom layer of the stock roof (i.e the part you see from inside the car remains in place). My bar is right against the stock roof (headliner and dome light have been removed) and I want to make sure I won't run into spacing problems during install.

Looks great! Thanks.
      02-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
LangRacingDevelopment
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
Very interested in this for my e90 with sunroof. Roll bar is being made for my car as I type this, and a cf roof is the next step for me.

Am I correct to think that because this is a "skin," the bottom layer of the stock roof (i.e the part you see from inside the car remains in place). My bar is right against the stock roof (headliner and dome light have been removed) and I want to make sure I won't run into spacing problems during install.

Looks great! Thanks.
If your fabricator is making something custom you should remove the sunroof cassette as well so the main hoop is as high up as possible.
Appreciate 1