E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Price-check on 328i xDrive

09-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #1
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Price-check on 328i xDrive

Hey folks,

I was hoping to get some help on a price-check here. I'm trading up to a '17 440 in October, and looking to sell my current '09 E90 328i xDrive (premium and cold weather packages) with 36k miles, good condition with no problems (plus new winter and summer tires). Dealers have been low-balling me at around 14k based on KBB, which I assume I'd be able to sell at far higher in a private sale. I've seen some private sale posts at around the low 20k's for similar-build, higher-mileage cars, but a lot of them don't seem to be moving - so I'm not sure if the demand isn't there, or if the price is set too high.

What would be a reasonable selling price for my car?
      09-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Totally depends on the market. 14k if trade in offer from dealership, then its awesome. I bought mine for 16k plus all kinds of taxes from a dealership recently. Dealers have a big mark up if they are going to put the car on their lot. Also, my friend traded in his 09 e90 328i with 60k miles for 9k last year.
Private sale will always get you more money, but you have to put effort to list it, deal with total strangers and still get low balled. With winter coming, xdrive should sell for more. I'd price it at 17k private sale if I were you and had time and patience. Lets face it, unless in an enthusiast community, no one cares about packages and maintenance.

Sometimes trade-in is better because it cuts into taxes on the sale price if you are buying from the same dealer. You may take a loss of 1k, but you save a ton of time and hassle.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
Totally depends on the market. 14k if trade in offer from dealership, then its awesome. I bought mine for 16k plus all kinds of taxes from a dealership recently. Dealers have a big mark up if they are going to put the car on their lot. Also, my friend traded in his 09 e90 328i with 60k miles for 9k last year.
Private sale will always get you more money, but you have to put effort to list it, deal with total strangers and still get low balled. With winter coming, xdrive should sell for more. I'd price it at 17k private sale if I were you and had time and patience. Lets face it, unless in an enthusiast community, no one cares about packages and maintenance.

Sometimes trade-in is better because it cuts into taxes on the sale price if you are buying from the same dealer. You may take a loss of 1k, but you save a ton of time and hassle.
Thanks a lot. So those postings for 20k+ are probably over-priced then?
      09-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post

Thanks a lot. So those postings for 20k+ are probably over-priced then?
Depends on market. And how quickly you want to sell. If other similar cars are priced at 20k plus, you put your car for 18k. Should sell quickly. But if you want 20k, you will have to be patient to find that right buyer.
Honestly, I'd buy a 5 series or similar if I were looking to spend 20k+ on a used car unless it was something rare or something I really want.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I paid 10750 for an 09 328 rwd, sport, nav, L7, with more miles this past April. I could not imagine paying more than 14,000 dollars for any E90 328 at this point. Anything over 15 should be exclusively 335 territory anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:08 AM   #6
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

You folks are all on the east coast but here in California I see e90s ranging from $10k to about $18k depending on mileage and age and of course 335 vs 328. For what it's worth, everything I've seen around here tends to be listed about $2k above blue book. Whether the seller actually gets that is the question.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
MonteRio
Registered
Rep
Drives: '09 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
You folks are all on the east coast but here in California I see e90s ranging from $10k to about $18k depending on mileage and age and of course 335 vs 328. For what it's worth, everything I've seen around here tends to be listed about $2k above blue book. Whether the seller actually gets that is the question.
I'm also in CA. FWIW, $15K is what I just paid for an '09 328i sedan with xdrive with manual transmission (sorry, I haven't learned the abbreviations yet. lol) and 63K miles. I saw that the price was a bit above blue book, but I found it at Carmax so I figured I was choosing to pay a premium for the ease of buying through them (and it was the easiest car buying experience of my life).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

I'll be selling soon my 07 328xi with Auto, L7, 45K miles, 2 sets of rim/tires. I just need to fix VCG and that's it. However, I doubt I'll be selling it for more than $7-8K if I want it to really sell. After that I'll be looking for a 335, but I can tell right away that I can already see a lot of 335 for $14k and under in very good condition and reasonable miles. So when I see 328 selling/buying for anything above $12k - I'm thinking somebody is overpaying a lot, but if that's what they want who am I to judge lol
Appreciate 0