E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 misfire rough idle

02-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Steevo
Turbo Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i

E90 misfire rough idle

So I'm working on installing my air ride, and I was checking around for an ignition source. I figured the fuel pump would be a good source so I checked a plug in the fuel pump control module. When I stuck the test light to the plug, it arced and tacked to the plug. I pulled it off no problem, and a little later I tried to start the car and it was hard to start and died quickly. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it was blown, replaced it and it ran great, so I figured I was good. Started it an hour or so later to leave and the car was misfiring something crazy. Checked the codes and it's throwing P0305 misfire on cylinder five and P014A rich/lean o2 sensor delayed response.
I got it home and turned it off, waited about 10 minutes and started it again and it was fine. Idled good for a minute, backed up down the driveway and as soon as I put a load on it, it started misfiring again.
Pulled back in the driveway and shut it off, and tried again about 5 minutes later and it took about 5 seconds of cranking to start, idled at 600 Rpms with a rough misfire, jumped to 1200 Rpms then came back down to 600 and misfiring bad.

From what I've found it looks like HPFP failure, but could it possibly be something else from me arcing to the plug? Could I have possibly shorted out a coil pack, a LPFP sensor or something?

Any input is appreciated. I'm bummed, got my CSL trunk installed and was almost ready to put the air ride on and this happens. Trying to get it fixed asap so any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0