E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > PLEASE HELP! I Have Serpentine Belt & Subframe Question's & Issues

05-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
NightRyda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 355i

PLEASE HELP! I Have Serpentine Belt & Subframe Question's & Issues

I just had the accessory/serpentine belt on my 2007 335i E90 (60k miles) shred. The belt was torn into tiny pieces and the engine had fragments/fluff from the belt fibers thrown all over the engine compartment.

The pulley on my power steering pump had a huge chunk broken off and shredded the belt. Looks like I had the well known issue where the subframe hit the PS pulley.

I have some questions and was hoping someone can help...

How do I remove the PS pulley?

I'm trying to replace the power steering pulley, but can't get the pulley off. The air duct, left air charge pipe, and fan is already off. Since the belt was shred, there's no tension on the pulley and it just spins freely when I try and loosen the 3 bolts on the pulley that bolt it onto the PS pump.

How do I stop the PS pulley from spinning so I can get the bolts off and remove it? The center of the pulley just has a hole, but doesn't look I can insert anything in there to hold it still so I can loosen the bolts.

How do I know if the belt got inside the engine?

I've read that belt fragments can get sucked into the motor via the crank seal. I was able to rotate the crank pulley freely with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt.

I looked at my crank pulley and didn't see any of the belt wrapped around it, but the small gap between the crank pulley and engine block (where the crank seal would be) is so tiny that it's impossible to see inside and be sure that none of the belt found it's way inside there.

So how can I be sure none of the belt got into the motor? Do i just drain the oil? What if the fragments aren't tiny enough to drain out? Is the only way to be sure by dropping the entire oil pan?

How do I notch the subframe?

I can't afford the crazy price BMW charges to replace the subframe, so it appears my only choice is to go the route where you notch the subframe and replace a motor mount.

I couldn't find any pics/details/DIY's for how the subframe should be notched, or how much to actually take off.

There seems to already be about a couple of inches of space between the subframe the PS pulley so it's hard to know exactly how much to take off or how to notch it... Anyone done this and have pics, or can explain how its done?

There some extra weld material that i figured I could grind down if I can get a grinder in there, but I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do or if you're actually supposed to cut a chunk out (doesn't that weaken the subframe)?

Also, which motor mount do I change and what's the part # for the replacement?

I need to get my running again ASAP and I'm stuck right now. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Take it to a Reputable shop and Pull the Crank Pulley and seal and investigate.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
unfortunately, this is where you have to start. Be sure the motor will not be adversely effected by the damage before you do any work to the subframe, ect...the belt can, but does not always cause damage that should be confirmed soon and or first.

JP
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #4
NightRyda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 355i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Unfortunately, taking it to a shop is not an option due to the cost involved. I recently had some unexpected expenses and can't afford paying any shop right now; that's why I wrote the post.

I will be doing all the repairs myself. I used to be an ASE master tech for 8 years, (gave it up due to injuries/health issues) so I think/hope I'll be fine. The only thing is, I mainly worked for Honda/Acura/Toyota dealerships -so mostly Japanese cars- and a few domestic cars, but never European.

This is my first BMW, and honestly from my experience as a tech... I'm not a big fan at all. The 2007 335i is VERY poorly designed and there's way too much plastic and shortcuts in the engineering.

I've only had the car for 2 years and I've already replaced the HPFP, water pump & thermostat, and the power steering rack. Now there's this belt/pulley issues and a oil filter housing gasket leak, and subframe issues. What was BMW thinking!!!

I'll pull off the crank pulley and check to the crank seal to see if any of the belt got in there. I'll also replace the crank seal while I'm there. I've already taken off the fan and replaced all the pulleys and any "if'y looking" cooling hoses. I'll also drain the oil and look for belt fragments in there, and also take care of the OFHG leak.

I still need to know how to notch the subframe though to avoid the PS pulley hitting it again and shredding the belt.

Do any of you guys have any info on this? Any pics out there or DIY's? I couldn't find anything, and BMW charges $3k for the updated subframe! So notching it out is my only option.

Any help.... Please!?! Also anyone know the torque for the 3 bolts on the PS pulley?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Ohh Boy,
I am no mechanic, but just my 2 cents.
So, just get a hold of the following:

1) Bentley Manual..... I got it free online.....hehehehe. I still feel the help from this forum is 100X better than the manual.
2) Lots of ZIP Lock Bags to label all the screws as to where they came off of. (Cash and Carry has great Deals or Harbor Frieght)
3) Look up "Endoscope" pretty much a Bore-scope with LED Light and fraction of the cost and best of all, you use it with your phone. Get a LONG One. (ebay....get it from a USA Based Seller)
4) Print Pages off of Realoem.com for your car.....this will help.

Now, I would remove the complete front end.....but I think you should remove RAD, FAN, and FMIC......this will allow you to get your head in a straight line of site to the pulley

Next, get that Pulley and Seal Off, and start inspecting. use the endoscope.
if all looks good then put it back together and start her up.

as for the PS Pulley Removal.....not sure how to....haven't had the issue yet.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
primepeach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

You can use impact tools and a set of wobble extensions and force them to come out, I have also able to get it with a (Harbor Freight) Strap Wrench around the problem pulley, secured to the driver side frame rail if you can. If its not long enough use a piece of pipe or jack handle to slip over the strap wrench handle and extend it this makes it long enough to create resistance to hold the pulley in place and to back out the bolts.
Rig the strap wrench in reverse to install new pulley, maybe worth loctite-ing to make sure the new one stays attached to the PS Pump? Also good idea to check front suspension for problems, I have not heard of sub frame impacting the belt, but I'm still super new to E90's. These observations are just from the engine swap I did on my 325i. Hope it helps!

Also the best way to determine if there is belt in the engine would be to drop the oil pan, this involves replacing pan gasket, pan bolts (aluminum bolts- supposed to be replaced, I've gotten away with it.) I think that's the only way to know for sure. If there are gasket bits in the pan, well you should pray; then replace front main seal/ oil change and maybe if you feel like maybe check in the valve cover. I would have a hard time seeing the pieces getting sucked up by the oil pump, there is a little metal mesh thing on the bottom of the pickup hose.

Last edited by primepeach; 05-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Just saw gasket may have gone into engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhassan View Post
I have not heard of sub frame impacting the belt,
Yeah this affects 2007's, and some 2008's....N54's....

http://www.***********.com/showthrea...y-and-Subframe)
Appreciate 0