E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > DYI: Easiest way to get 1b file and generate FSC codes for CIC navi map update

01-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
portalseo
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Smile DYI: Easiest way to get 1b file and generate FSC codes for CIC navi map update

I've been a silent reader of this forum for quite some time and I got a lot of useful information and help out of it and what better way to make my first post by (hopefully) giving back to the community.

The following is by far the easiest and most convenient way to pull your 1b file from your car and generate an FSC update code for your BMW CIC navigation unit (at least for me) and I haven't come across any other method that is easier.

Tools required:

-one usb stick.
- 1b.zip: Attached below.
- “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“: Download Windows version from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW0...ew?usp=sharing or directly from Jaeger's thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464
- Maps.zip: Attached below.

“1b.zip” contains the files necessary to pull the 1b file from your car via USB, “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“ contains the FSC generator (a big thanks to user Jaeger and I hope he doesn't mind me using his generator as my preferred choice for generating fsc codes) and “MAPS.zip“ contains different map versions covering the most popular regions (North America, Europe and OZ/New Zealand).

First step: Pull 1b file from your car via usb stick.

1. Unpack the ZIP file (1b.zip) to the root of an empty USB stick
2. Power on your car (ignition on is fine, you don't need to start your car) and wait until the navigation system has started completely
3. Put the USB stick in the USB port in the glove box (do not use the usb port found in the middle console).
4. Wait for around 30 seconds
5. Remove the USB stick from the port in the glove box and put it in your (windows) computer
6. Check if the file 1b.hex is present on the USB stick (if not go to step 2 and try another USB stick). The file should be exactly 319 bytes in size and you can check your file by opening it with a hex editor such as HxD https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Second step: Generate your FSC code using Jaeger's FSC generator

1. Unpack the ZIP file (bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip) in Windows/Mac (after unpacking wait for a couple of seconds for the generator to automatically download the file Lookup.xml")
2. Open the FSC generator by clicking on "BMW_CIC_FSC_Generator.exe" and select the 1b file you pulled from your car as described above.
3. Select desired map type, region and version to generate your code.

Last step: Download desired map version and install on USB stick:

1. Unpack the ZIP file (MAPS.zip) and click on your desired map version (make sure you have a bit torrent client installed) to download it.
2. Put the downloaded map on an empty USB stick (just make sure it has been formatted using fat32).

Plug the usb stick containing your downloaded map version in the glove box of your car and switch your ignition on. After a couple of minutes your CIC will prompt you to update your map version. Just enter your generated code and the update will commence automatically.
That's it, you're done and good to go!

Big thanks again to Jaeger for his excellent fsc code generator http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464.

Update: Maps.zip now contains a direct torrent download link for north america premium 2018-1 which supports both updating via dvd or alternatively via usb stick.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CICfscupdate.pdf (66.1 KB, 36753 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1b.zip (29.2 KB, 59114 views)
File Type: zip MAPS.zip (402.2 KB, 37608 views)

Last edited by portalseo; 01-31-2018 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: typos
      01-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by portalseo View Post
I've been a silent reader of this forum for quite some time and I got a lot of useful information and help out of it and what better way to make my first post by (hopefully) giving back to the community.

The following is by far the easiest and most convenient way to generate an FSC update code for your BMW CIC navigation unit (at least for me) and I haven't come across any other method that is easier.

Tools required (I couldn't upload the files as attachments due to .zip files being restricted to less than 419kb):

-one usb stick.
- 1b.zip: https://file.io/g7OhlD
- “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“: https://file.io/SgXahM
- Maps.zip: https://file.io/7fnLFE

“1b.zip” contains the files necessary to pull the 1b file from your car via USB, “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“ contains the FSC generator (a big thanks to user Jaeger and I hope he doesn't mind me using his generator as my preferred choice for generating fsc codes) and “MAPS.zip“ contains different map versions covering the most popular regions (North America, Europe and OZ/New Zealand).

First step: Pull 1b file from your car via usb stick.

1. Unpack the ZIP file (1b.zip) to the root of an empty USB stick
2. Power on your car (ignition on is fine, you don't need to start your car) and wait until the navigation system has started completely
3. Put the USB stick in the USB port in the glove box (do not use the usb port found in the middle console).
4. Wait for around 30 seconds
5. Remove the USB stick from the port in the glove box and put it in your (windows) computer
6. Check if the file 1b.hex is present on the USB stick (if not go to step 2 and try another USB stick). The file should be exactly 319 bytes in size and you can check your file by opening it with a hex editor such as HxD https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Second step: Generate your FSC code using Jaeger's FSC generator

1. Unpack the ZIP file (bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip) in Windows/Mac (after unpacking wait for a couple of seconds for the generator to automatically download the file Lookup.xml")
2. Open the FSC generator by clicking on "BMW_CIC_FSC_Generator.exe" and select the 1b file you pulled from your car as described above.
3. Select desired map type, region and version to generate your code.

Last step: Download desired map version and install on USB stick:

1. Unpack the ZIP file (MAPS.zip) and click on your desired map version (make sure you have a bit torrent client installed) to download it.
2. Put the downloaded map on an empty USB stick (just make sure it has been formatted using fat32).

Plug the usb stick containing your downloaded map version in the glove box of your car and switch your ignition on. After a couple of minutes your CIC will prompt you to update your map version. Just enter your generated code and the update will commence automatically.
That's it, you're done and good to go!

Big thanks again to Jaeger for his excellent fsc code generator http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464.
Interested but your links aren't working, at least not for me.
      01-30-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
portalseo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Interested but your links aren't working, at least not for me.
I managed to directly attach 1b.zip and maps.zip in my post above and you can download the FSC generator from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW0...ew?usp=sharing or from Jaeger's thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464

Looking forward to hearing from you again once you're done updating your maps

Last edited by portalseo; 01-30-2018 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: added download links
Appreciate 2
LMB335IS1295.00
opjose242.00
      01-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
I managed to directly attach 1b.zip and maps.zip in my post above and you can download the FSC generator from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW0...ew?usp=sharing or from Jaeger's thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464

Looking forward to hearing from you again once you're done updating your maps
So far, so good. The 1b zip pulled the 1b hex like a champ, 319 btyes and it generated a FSC code using the generator. The NA 2018 Premium link goes to a storage site that wants a credit card to download even in the 14 day "free" trial period, but it can be found on MHH Auto for free if you're a member. I'll finish up tomorrow loading them.
      01-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

This works GREAT!

I pulled down a 1B file on a friends 5 series with this.

Easy-peasy!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
This works GREAT!

I pulled down a 1B file on a friends 5 series with this.

Easy-peasy!
Seriously! I never really played around with this, just paying a few $ every year for update. This makes it as easy as coding.
      01-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
portalseo
Rep

glad to hear that you guys could pull your 1b files successfully and I guess it can't get any simpler than this.

With regards to the north american premium 2018-1 leading to a paid site you're absolutely right and I apologize for not verifying the map downloads in advance.

Attached you'll find the torrent link for the most recent north american premium 2018-1 version (I also updated this in my first post). Unfortunately this is the 5 dvd/USB stick version meaning you start updating your maps by inserting usb stick 1/dvd 1 and then when the cic prompts you to insert stick 2 you insert stick 2, etc. but it still beats having to shell out more than 100 bucks for an update from your local dealership and since each part is less than 4.3 GB it can be updated via USB OR DVD. If anyone could post the torrent link for the 1 usb stick version I'd appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bmw.na.premium.2018-1.zip (177.8 KB, 3534 views)

Last edited by portalseo; 01-31-2018 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: attachment
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

If you join cartechnology board, there is a link to a google drive that has 5 rar downloads that will build the 4 loads for the USBs....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 04:31 PM   #9
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:

Attached you'll find the torrent link for the most recent north american premium 2018-1 version (I also updated this in my first post). Unfortunately this is the 5 dvd/USB stick version meaning you start updating your maps by inserting usb stick 1/dvd 1 and then when the cic prompts you to insert stick 2 you insert stick 2, etc.
Minor correction.

It is a five file download that unpacks to four DVD's.
Appreciate 1
Baopay6.00
      02-01-2018, 01:37 AM   #10
mlello
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50 & i3 120

Thank you!! This worked like a charm!

I had already downloaded the FCS code generato by Jaeger and the 2018 - 1 West European map update. But i had not really got the grip on the 1b file. This was very helpfull!

The previous map in my car, was 2010 -2, som a very needed upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #11
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e MSport

This seams even easier than the other methods so will have to give this a go.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #12
portalseo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Minor correction.

It is a five file download that unpacks to four DVD's.
You might be right but it appears to me they split it into 5 files/parts with the last file (part 5) to be put on DVD 5 given the 4.3 GB storage limit of single layer DVDs. I still don't get it why they just didn't go the one file route like they did with the western Europe 2018-1 version considering the majority of people update via usb stick anyway...

Did you already download and install the na 2018-1 version and can you confirm that the torrent download is indeed working?

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
You might be right but it appears to me they split it into 5 files/parts with the last file (part 5) to be put on DVD 5 given the 4.3 GB storage limit of single layer DVDs. I still don't get it why they just didn't go the one file route like they did with the western Europe 2018-1 version considering the majority of people update via usb stick anyway...

Did you already download and install the na 2018-1 version and can you confirm that the torrent download is indeed working?

The torrent is working. It works just like all the previous times I've updated my nav. The 4 usb sticks is really not a problem because the NA maps are a huge amount of info to download and upload. I use winRAR and all you need to do is extract part 1 and it will automatically pull all the downloaded zips into one folder containing the four sub folders, 1-4, that you move to the root of your four flash drives. Or you can just use two and reload them while the car is uploading the other one.

Great job with this. If you have a E series, there's no need to ever pay to have your maps updated again.
      02-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
The torrent is working. It works just like all the previous times I've updated my nav. The 4 usb sticks is really not a problem because the NA maps are a huge amount of info to download and upload. I use winRAR and all you need to do is extract part 1 and it will automatically pull all the downloaded zips into one folder containing the four sub folders, 1-4, that you move to the root of your four flash drives. Or you can just use two and reload them while the car is uploading the other one.

Great job with this. If you have a E series, there's no need to ever pay to have your maps updated again.
This +1. Easiest method so far. This update worked rather faster than previous updates. Thanks for the update OP!
      02-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Hotrod Heath
Rep
Drives: 520i

Cheers but still need help

Hi Folks,

I know I'm on the wrong forum here but I cant find any decent instructions on how to pull the 1B file and then use the latest maps with the generated FCS code for my 2015 520i (I think that makes it a F10). I assumed that what would work on a 3 series would be the same for a 5 series. Seems not to be the case.

The main difference is that I do not have a glove box USB, only the one in the centre console. Not sure how important that is. The USB in the centre console id the one I used to update the I Drive software successfully.

Forgetting the 1B pulling for now. I used the 2108-1 link from other posts on the forum and popped them on the USB root as directed. When inserted into the centre console USB nothing happened....

When I tried the above instructions on pulling the 1b with centre console....also nothing. I used 3 different USB sticks and no sign of the 1b hex file....

Surely the 3 and 5 series systems are the same....is it the non glove box usb that is tripping me up.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hotrod
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
opjose
Major
Rep

The 2015's do not have CIC.

This is for CIC equipped cars.

It doesn't work on NBT as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
Hotrod Heath
Rep

Oh dear. Where does that leave me? What options do I have? I see a £69 to BMW in my future....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #18
opjose
Major
Rep

What NAV system do you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
Hotrod Heath
Rep

Info from the dash says

NBT_B13322A

Also

Does that tell you what version I have?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
opjose
Major
Rep

For NBT you will have to download the file with an Ethernet cable.

Then you can edit the file and use the FSC generator.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 03:34 AM   #21
Hotrod Heath
Rep

Ahh ok. And am I correct that he same cable can be used to do the coding that i think i want to have a play about with?

One thing that is bugging me is why without the fsc code the mape update wasnt recognised when I plugged in the usb. I was never asked for the code. Surely the ethernet cable wont make adifference to that.??
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 03:44 AM   #22
Hotrod Heath
Rep

Damn just worked out the usb not picking up the maps, the usb is loaded with cic maps not nbt.

Are there any nbt map download links available?
Appreciate 0