E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

05-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #859
dnguyen415
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

If anyone wants the emulator and quadlock harness, let me know. I'm officially giving up. I bought them both on a whim during an ebay sale but this jobs just too complicated for me with too low of a success rate. I never even took them out of the packaging.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #860
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast View Post
So I attempted to do this yesterday, got the camera from eBay that most here are using and also bought a "plug and play" harness with the emulator wired in.

However, upon installing the harness, my screen is blank and can't access iDrive menu, I can hear sound, but nothing else. I'm thinking the "harness" and emulator is the wrong one, but was advertised as the backup camera emulator. In addition, when I turn off the ignition, I get an SOS error, even though I transferred the Fiber Optic Cables to the new harness.

Attached is a pic of what I received, what has me concerned is the fact that there are 2 extra wires on the emulator, whereas, all the others I've seen here only has 5 wires as opposed to 7 like the one I received.

Like to get some thoughts on this.
I used the same harness - only thing about the harness is that it's too short and you won't be able to push your cic all the way in. I had to use a different harness to make it fit, coded $3AG FA write to cas and NFRM, then coded default CIC and PDC.
then coded in cic: macro_L6_parkmenu - active , rvc_cic I changed that from were_23 to werte_21 (that's really what made my camera work), macro_pdc- active , macro_pdc_topview - active , tvc_width_0C to werte_02.
I also hooked it up to the tail light daytime running light so I get constant power to the camera since I have a front PDC and button that triggers camera and front PDC so camera turns on when in reverse and with pressing PDC button.

05-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #861
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Is there any reason this wouldn't work on a 1 series (E82)?
      05-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #862
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Got this done in my 2012 E93 M3 (with PDC). Came out to around $135, and worked perfect the very first time I tested it out. Took a good 3 hours for everything, but I took my time and was very meticulous about clean wiring/soldering/etc. Here's what I used:

Camera (wiring was long enough for my E93, no problems) - Arrived in 4 days:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E82-E88...a/172766150703

Emulator - Arrived in 12 days:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversing-I...t/281474834192

Quadlock Harness Extension Cable - Arrived in 11 days:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Most-Quadlo...X/253123987983

I'm fairly new to E9x coding, but watched a couple of tutorials and added $3AG to the VO for CAS and NFRM modules, then in the CIC module I coded:

MACRO_REARVIEW
aktiv
RVC_CIC
wert_23
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal

Works perfect! I can move the gear selector as quick as possible into and out of reverse and the picture shows up every time, and shows up immediately. The picture is very clear. I opted to not cut the green wire on the camera as I don't want the guidance lines.

A few install notes:

- I connected the white wire from the emulator (which provides 12v+) to the red wire attached to the RCA cable from the camera - this powers the camera. I grounded from the trunk to a body terminal close to the battery, and clipped off/covered up the red power wire (instead of tapping it into the reverse light wire, as I took the 12v+ from the emulator up front).

- I opted to use the quadlock harness extension cable so I didn't have to cut into any factory wiring - this was great as I was able to solder in my wires on my workbench versus inside the car. I did have to push the harness connector back and to the bottom right (where there was an open area) to get the CIC unit to fit back into place. Also, I saw a picture in this thread of somebody who taped their emulator to the rear of the CIC unit - this would not fit in my car (2012 E93) as there was simply not enough clearance behind the CIC for the emulator - I put it up above the CIC unit, right above the climate control panel, plenty of room up there for the emulator module.

- The CAN wires on the emulator came pre-twisted, but I twisted them even more/tighter just to be safe.

- I did not cut any wires in the quadlock harness extension cable.. Instead, I removed a small (1/4") section of the wire covering on each wire, then twisted the emulator wires around and soldered in the additional wire, then wrapped tightly with electrical tape. It came out very clean.

- When working with the CIC unit partially removed (still connected to its wiring but pulled out of the dash), be sure to put a thick towel down in front of the gear selector to prevent the sharp edges of the CIC from damaging your console.
Attached Images

Last edited by brettcp; 06-02-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
tigermack473.50
      06-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #863
n2siast
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Got this done in my 2012 E93 M3 (with PDC). Came out to around $135, and worked perfect the very first time I tested it out. Took a good 3 hours for everything, but I took my time and was very meticulous about clean wiring/soldering/etc. Here's what I used:

I'm fairly new to E9x coding, but watched a couple of tutorials and added $3AG to the VO for CAS and NFRM modules, then in the CIC module I coded:

MACRO_REARVIEW
aktiv
RVC_CIC
wert_23
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal

Works perfect! I can move the gear selector as quick as possible into and out of reverse and the picture shows up every time, and shows up immediately. The picture is very clear. I opted to not cut the green wire on the camera as I don't want the guidance lines.

A few install notes:

- I connected the white wire from the emulator (which provides 12v+ to the red wire attached to the RCA cable from the camera - this powers the camera. I grounded from the trunk to a body terminal close to the battery, and clipped off/covered up the red power wire (instead of tapping it into the reverse light wire, as I took the 12v+ from the emulator up front).

- I opted to use the quadlock harness extension cable so I didn't have to cut into any factory wiring - this was great as I was able to solder in my wires on my workbench versus inside the car. I did have to push the harness connector back and to the bottom right (where there was an open area) to get the CIC unit to fit back into place. Also, I saw a picture in this thread of somebody who taped their emulator to the rear of the CIC unit - this would not fit in my car (2012 E93) as there was simply not enough clearance behind the CIC for the emulator - I put it up above the CIC unit, right above the climate control panel, plenty of room up there for the emulator module.

- The CAN wires on the emulator came pre-twisted, but I twisted them even more/tighter just to be safe.

- I did not cut any wires in the quadlock harness extension cable.. Instead, I removed a small (1/4") section of the wire covering on each wire, then twisted the emulator wires around and soldered in the additional wire, then wrapped tightly with electrical tape. It came out very clean.

- When working with the CIC unit partially removed (still connected to its wiring but pulled out of the dash), be sure to put a thick towel down in front of the gear selector to prevent the sharp edges of the CIC from damaging your console.
How did you route the wires in the trunk of your e93? I screwed mine up by not accounting for the movement of the trunk when opening and closing the top and ripped my wires. Have to get another camera now.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #864
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnguyen415 View Post
If anyone wants the emulator and quadlock harness, let me know. I'm officially giving up. I bought them both on a whim during an ebay sale but this jobs just too complicated for me with too low of a success rate. I never even took them out of the packaging.
I'd take the quadlock harness! I bought everything else
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #865
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did you route the wires in the trunk of your e93? I screwed mine up by not accounting for the movement of the trunk when opening and closing the top and ripped my wires. Have to get another camera now.
Look on youtube for "e93 rear view camera install" - there is a video that walks you through how to run the wiring through the E93 trunk properly.
Appreciate 1
n2siast75.50
      06-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #866
n2siast
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-SPORT

Quote:
Look on youtube for "e93 rear view camera install" - there is a video that walks you through how to run the wiring through the E93 trunk properly.
Thanks Man. Don't know why I didn't think about that, now I see where I went wrong with routing the wire.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #867
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Man. Don't know why I didn't think about that, now I see where I went wrong with routing the wire.
No problem, the part that a lot of people seem to have trouble with is routing the wire through the rubber flex tube on the trunk lid - I did what the video suggested, took a coat hanger and made a tiny bend at the end, taped the camera wire to it, put a tiny dab of dish soap on the end and it slid right through on the first attempt.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:37 AM   #868
callmetofo
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92

help !

So my car is at the shop right now, they said they have everything wired, and they coded it. But whenever they put the car into reverse the screen says "PDC malfunction" is it possible it wasn't coded correctly?

I have a e92 2009 CIC manual 335i

Quote:

MACRO_REARVIEW
aktiv
RVC_CIC
wert_23
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal

A few install notes:

- I connected the white wire from the emulator (which provides 12v+) to the red wire attached to the RCA cable from the camera - this powers the camera. I grounded from the trunk to a body terminal close to the battery, and clipped off/covered up the red power wire (instead of tapping it into the reverse light wire, as I took the 12v+ from the emulator up front).

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #869
callmetofo
Rep

Update

Update:
They completely unplugged the PDC module and the error stopped. BUT The screen still doesn't respond when put into Reverse. Stays on Radio/menu screen.

Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetofo View Post
So my car is at the shop right now, they said they have everything wired, and they coded it. But whenever they put the car into reverse the screen says "PDC malfunction" is it possible it wasn't coded correctly?

I have a e92 2009 CIC manual 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #870
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnguyen415 View Post
How much for the emulator shipped to 19002?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #871
Gray335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Quote:
Update:
They completely unplugged the PDC module and the error stopped. BUT The screen still doesn't respond when put into Reverse. Stays on Radio/menu screen.

Help?
pdc is required to send can signal to cic to switch to rear view screen + pdc.
if you are getting pdc malfunction that means your pdc sensors are faulty or disconnected.
when i did this retrofit on my 6MT, i bought rear pdc module from ebay for $30, did a custom wiring from pdc to cic but as soon as i put in reverse i was getting pdc malfunction. bought a set of 4 pdc sensors from ebay for $30 (brand new aftermarket) . once i connected them to pdc, error went away and my rear view camera is working.
i didnt drill holes in my bumper for sensors so i just left them all tucked by the battery until i have time to properly mount them into bumper.

Once again for all with 6Mt without pdc, this will not work because can bus signal to trigger pdc rear view is coming from pdc back to cic.= shift selector in reverse = can bus message to pdc = pdc tells cic to switch screen to pdc/rear view.

Last edited by Gray335i; 06-07-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
tigermack473.50
      06-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #872
callmetofo
Rep

My car came with PDC from factory, just confirmed with a vin decoder.

If my car came with pdc Does that mean the PDC module still needs to be plugged in still?

Or

If everything is wired correctly, but the screen does not respond (stays on radio/menu) when put into reverse, is that a coding issue or a emulator issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray335i View Post
pdc is required to send can signal to cic to switch to rear view screen + pdc.
if you are getting pdc malfunction that means your pdc sensors are faulty or disconnected.
when i did this retrofit on my 6MT, i bought rear pdc module from ebay for $30, did a custom wiring from pdc to cic but as soon as i put in reverse i was getting pdc malfunction. bought a set of 4 pdc sensors from ebay for $30 (brand new aftermarket) . once i connected them to pdc, error went away and my rear view camera is working.
i didnt drill holes in my bumper for sensors so i just left them all tucked by the battery until i have time to properly mount them into bumper.

Once again for all with 6Mt without pdc, this will not work because can bus signal to trigger pdc rear view is coming from pdc back to cic.= shift selector in reverse = can bus message to pdc = pdc tells cic to switch screen to pdc/rear view.

Last edited by callmetofo; 06-08-2018 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Additional
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #873
Gray335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Quote:
My car came with PDC from factory, just confirmed with a vin decoder.

If my car came with pdc Does that mean the PDC module still needs to be plugged in still?

Or

If everything is wired correctly, but the screen does not respond (stays on radio/menu) when put into reverse, is that a coding issue or a emulator issue?
was your pdc functional before you did a retrofit? if yet then issue could be related to coding/ bad emulator. rear camera will ot work without pdc on 6MT.
If you are getting pdc malfunction error when pdc is plugged in and car in reverse i would do a error scan to make sure all 4 sensors are still functional. Another thing it iv cic tace file , there is an option to define how many pcc sensors are active for selective view (front/rear). this value must be correct so it can not be 0 , 1, 2 or 3. maybe when you coder did a default man coding this value got changed?

i retofitted my car from non nav to cic with combox, all options fully coded with virginazing cic and using a cic patcher the later added camera and emulator for rear view but that option didnt work until i did a rear pdc retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #874
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Hello, does anyone know where to find a emulator that will
1. Work with retrofit cic that is hardware activated. (I don't need it to active anything cic wise)
2. Be able to work with a retrofitted manual transmission later on.
3. Be able to support PDC later on
4. Be able to support front camera and pdc later on (optional)
5. Have dynamic lines (optional)

Thanks
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #875
shark9021
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i e90 sedan

This thread has been supremely helpful!
Maybe a noob question here:

The backup camera I am installing requires that I run the yellow video output RCA to my Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD stereo unit. I will need to run that RCA through the rubber wiring hose between the trunk and trunk lid. I have already ran a remote wire through this hose to connect to one of the reverse light power wires and fitting this wire through was difficult enough. I can't imagine how difficult it will be to run the RCA through with the large connector terminal at the end.

Question: Is there any easier way to run the yellow RCA through that hose or will i have to find a different way to run the wire fro the trunk lid into the trunk?

Also, as I mentioned, I have already ran a 14 gauge/AWG remote wire to the trunk lid which I plan to t-tap into one of the reverse light 12V positive power wires either on the right (black/blue wire) or on the left (black/violet wire) side.

Question: What size/gauge AWG are these reverse light power wires? I want to get the a t-tap for the correct wire size. From what I have read on the Bentley manual, it is 0.75 which is approximately 18 ga. If it is 18 ga or smaller can I still use a 16 gauge t-tap being as it is only a remote wire?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #876
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark9021 View Post
Question: Is there any easier way to run the yellow RCA through that hose or will i have to find a different way to run the wire fro the trunk lid into the trunk?
You should be able to push it through the hose.. use a coat hanger with some strong/tight tape to attach the RCA wire, and cover the top of the RCA connector with tape to round off the top of the connector, put some Vaseline on it and you should be able to push it through.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #877
mikel-
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Convertible

Just want to say thanks for the information provided in this thread!
I bought an emulator from China on ebay, backup camera from a US seller and did the coding for my 2011 328i cabrio (E93) with CIC and PDC. It was a bit hard hard to route the wire through the trunk since it is a convertible.
It works great! A little slow to turn off when shifting from reverse to another gear, but I can always use PDC on/off button. It looks like speed threshold for turning off the camera can be adjusted by coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:17 PM   #878
BMW_E93
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 328i Convertible

I'm trying to code my 2009 328I (E93) CIC without no PDC. I was able to add $3AG to CAS, FRM & NFRM and did all the coding except "PDC_DIRECTION vertikal", I don't have this option for some reason. Can I manually add this to the TRC file and code it? Nothing is currently happening when I put the car in reverse. Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #879
callmetofo
Rep

Has anyone had any problems with the Emulator keeping the ECU awake after the car is locked?

I am having some battery issues and the only aftermarket electrical that has been done is this back up camera.

The Camera is grounded to the trunk + powered by reverse light.

So i'm thinking maybe the Emulator is talking to the ECU even after i lock the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #880
eg9ter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

Sorry for the noob question.
I have a 2008 E90 320i with iDrive (European)
And I would like to install the backup camera with the wifi kit to avoid additional wiring.
Is it possible to connect the receiver directly to the iDrive via the RCA connectors? Or the interface adapter is a must anyway? Is it even possible to do it with the wifi option?
Thanks
Appreciate 0