E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Xtrons headunit - rubbish DAB! What to do?

06-11-2018, 03:28 AM   #23
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerNub View Post
OK, so i had a look at the diversity antenna about 15 minutes ago. Looks absolutely spotless, but then how would we know if it had failed? Anyway, I sprayed the connections on the power plug and fakra connector with contact cleaner. Has made no difference at all.

The part number stamped is 213675. eBay is full of second hand ones..... might just order one. If there's no difference, then I can rule that out. At which point though, we're down to damaged windscreen or a break in a connection somewhere else.

Do we know if there are any connectors say in the A pillar or C pillar or something that might have come loose?
Hmm yeah I've had a look and you can't really see if anything has gone wrong and who's to say the used ones on eBay will be any better?

I think there are some filters or something in the c pillars..not entirely sure about them or if they could go faulty..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:29 AM   #24
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So the adapter from Germany came. Unfortunately, not only did it not improve AM/FM reception, it wouldn't work with the USB dongle. I think there's a short. Every time I plug the antenna cable into the dongle, it immediately dies. So that will need to go back.

I have my other splitter from the mazda and have ordered a couple of adapters. Let's see if we can make that work. If not, I'm giving up
Ahh okay. Well no worries. Keep at it. I'm simply just going to go for that aerial I posted a few posts ago. Can't be bothered with any more messing about lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:31 AM   #25
BeamerNub
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Yep you get both camera and the radar.
Awesome. Well I ordered it anyway, so I'll wait for that to come, then get it fitted. I've looked and it actually looks like an hours job. I say that now, but it really doesn't look that hard

In the meantime, I'm trying to get an answer out of the company from Germany as to why this splitter adapter is causing the dongle to go on the fritz but there is a barrier in translation. Their first reply was to suggest it is for an FM Antenna..... this is an FM antenna.... and furthermore, they actually mention this vehicle in the item listing, so I'm a little bit suspicious at this point about where they're going with this. It's not the FM Antenna that's the problem. Plugging in their splitter causes something to go horribly wrong inside the dongle. I have observed that on dmesg in Linux. I wouldn't normally return something if I've ordered the wrong thing, but this genuinely seems to be a 'bad' piece of equipment, so let's hope we can get it resolved. I can't find anything on the Internet about the company or this product though.... perhaps it's all skirt and no trousers.

A splitter/adapter, would be the perfect solution really, because it's invisible and uses the OEM antenna so not a huge amount of work. Like I said before, I did this on my previous Mazda and got superb DAB reception, right up until I sold the vehicle. Luckily, I stripped the splitter from that car out, so, for academic purposes I am going to fit that one and see how it works. It does say in big letters that it's not designed for amplified aerials, but what harm can it do eh? Worst case I suppose, it blows it up, although I doubt it. More likely it'll just not work, but you never know eh?

For what it's worth, I'm tempted to try a fakra to fakra + sma splitter, and just seen how well the OEM aerial with no DAB interface works. There's a chance it could work. Most likely though.... it won't.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #26
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, well good luck with the installation of the camera! It really shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh dear, doesn't sound too positive with the German company does it...

Have you tried the splitter yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #27
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
Okay, well good luck with the installation of the camera! It really shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh dear, doesn't sound too positive with the German company does it...

Have you tried the splitter yet?
Waiting on the last part to give it a go. I'll let you know how I get on
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #28
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Right, I have all the parts now. Tonight, the experiments begin

I'll let you know how I get on blueh88
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      06-26-2018, 04:41 AM   #29
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

I'm still experimenting, hard to say right now whether I can legitimately recommend the splitter or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #30
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm still experimenting, hard to say right now whether I can legitimately recommend the splitter or not.
Hmm okay fair enough. I have given up on the idea now anyway...Figured that it's much easier to just use internet radio like Radioplayer as my unit is always connected to my phone via WiFi hotspot anyway.

By the way - been trying to use that Macrodroid app you recommended to someone else on another thread. However, it seems when the app automatically switches the hotspot on, there seems to be some form of authentication problem on the headunit and doesn't want to connect. Although when I switch it on manually as I sit in my car, it connects straight away. Not sure what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 05:12 AM   #31
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm okay fair enough. I have given up on the idea now anyway...Figured that it's much easier to just use internet radio like Radioplayer as my unit is always connected to my phone via WiFi hotspot anyway.

By the way - been trying to use that Macrodroid app you recommended to someone else on another thread. However, it seems when the app automatically switches the hotspot on, there seems to be some form of authentication problem on the headunit and doesn't want to connect. Although when I switch it on manually as I sit in my car, it connects straight away. Not sure what is happening.
Are you using MacroDroid on the head unit or the phone? I use MacroDroid on the phone. When it detects the Bluetooth connection, it enables the hotspot. The head unit does the rest.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #32
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you using MacroDroid on the head unit or the phone? I use MacroDroid on the phone. When it detects the Bluetooth connection, it enables the hotspot. The head unit does the rest.
On the phone. Yeah, it enables the hotspot but the head unit doesn't want to connect to it. It recognises it and attempts to connect but doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #33
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
On the phone. Yeah, it enables the hotspot but the head unit doesn't want to connect to it. It recognises it and attempts to connect but doesn't.
Check if you have WiFi sleep enabled on the head unit. I think that sleeps the WiFi connection if it hasn't connected to a hotspot, so you then end up having to do it manually.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #34
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Just an update on the splitter situation. No go, especially with that part from the German company. It actually wasn't their part that was the issue, my original DAB stick was basically DOA. Didn't work the with the original antenna either. Returned it, bought a new one from a different seller.

Tried every combination possible, splitter wired in amplified, picks up nothing. Splitter wired in unamplified picks up nothing. Splitter wired in without the FM connections to the unit, picks up nothing. It basically picks up nothing..... so that's going back, which will be interesting. I can't see them being overly enthralled but their advert says it should work on amplified aerials, while the instructions in German actually state it's for a passive antenna. Dear me.

Anyway, i've ordered a dead simple splitter. No demuxer like the part from Germany. It's the last roll of the dice for me really. I've also put the windscreen antenna in, as a dry run. Not properly though, just kind of stuck it on with blu-tac and run the cable visibly to see how it gets on. It works, but it's not brilliant.

Did you sand a piece of metal to earth the copper part too? It says in the instructions that isn't necessary but people online seem to do it. Not sure I really want to be sanding the body of my E90 though. Seems a bit Barry.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #35
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Check if you have WiFi sleep enabled on the head unit. I think that sleeps the WiFi connection if it hasn't connected to a hotspot, so you then end up having to do it manually.
Cheers, will have a play about with this on the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #36
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just an update on the splitter situation. No go, especially with that part from the German company. It actually wasn't their part that was the issue, my original DAB stick was basically DOA. Didn't work the with the original antenna either. Returned it, bought a new one from a different seller.

Tried every combination possible, splitter wired in amplified, picks up nothing. Splitter wired in unamplified picks up nothing. Splitter wired in without the FM connections to the unit, picks up nothing. It basically picks up nothing..... so that's going back, which will be interesting. I can't see them being overly enthralled but their advert says it should work on amplified aerials, while the instructions in German actually state it's for a passive antenna. Dear me.

Anyway, i've ordered a dead simple splitter. No demuxer like the part from Germany. It's the last roll of the dice for me really. I've also put the windscreen antenna in, as a dry run. Not properly though, just kind of stuck it on with blu-tac and run the cable visibly to see how it gets on. It works, but it's not brilliant.

Did you sand a piece of metal to earth the copper part too? It says in the instructions that isn't necessary but people online seem to do it. Not sure I really want to be sanding the body of my E90 though. Seems a bit Barry.
Oh dear. Think it is more and more pointing towards a better replacement for the sh*t stick on aerial, with the only downside being it'll look a bit "stuck on" ha.

Yep, I did sand a bit back to bare metal and it's still rubbish lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:30 AM   #37
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh dear. Think it is more and more pointing towards a better replacement for the sh*t stick on aerial, with the only downside being it'll look a bit "stuck on" ha.

Yep, I did sand a bit back to bare metal and it's still rubbish lol.
Yeah I tried it this morning. 5Live actually works pretty well, but it's a National Station isn't it? The kind of station I suspect you can pick up on a potato. When I switched to Radio X the quality seemed to vary a lot.

Might be one of those where I give up. I can't see a clean way of doing it. You can bypass the amplified antenna, but how? Not a clue. The diversity antenna basically connects directly into the windscreen, so at this point, it feels completely impossible.

Ideas are getting in short supply at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #38
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

I was thinking, there are two options I haven't considered : There's perhaps only one other

Option 1:
The OEM E90 DAB Diversity antenna. They seem to be like gold dust though. Ultimately, you can run the fakra direct to the dongle though..... it might work..... it might fall flat on it's face....... I don't know how the diversity antenna operates so it's really hard to actually judge. If I could actually source one, I'd happily give it a go, just as an experiment.

Option 2:
Modify a stock non-DAB diversity antenna so that the connection bypasses the amplifier. I'm thinking this is probably not going to be easy. However, I still have the spare diversity antenna that I ordered from the bay, so I'll take it apart when I get chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #39
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking, there are two options I haven't considered : There's perhaps only one other

Option 1:
The OEM E90 DAB Diversity antenna. They seem to be like gold dust though. Ultimately, you can run the fakra direct to the dongle though..... it might work..... it might fall flat on it's face....... I don't know how the diversity antenna operates so it's really hard to actually judge. If I could actually source one, I'd happily give it a go, just as an experiment.

Option 2:
Modify a stock non-DAB diversity antenna so that the connection bypasses the amplifier. I'm thinking this is probably not going to be easy. However, I still have the spare diversity antenna that I ordered from the bay, so I'll take it apart when I get chance.
I looked into option 1. It would simply be too expensive regardless. They're rare and when they do crop up, they're advertised for stupid money. It would work though in my opinion.

Option 2 would also be too difficult to be worthwhile I think. But yeah, if you do open it up, I would be interested to see what's inside!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #40
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
I looked into option 1. It would simply be too expensive regardless. They're rare and when they do crop up, they're advertised for stupid money. It would work though in my opinion.

Option 2 would also be too difficult to be worthwhile I think. But yeah, if you do open it up, I would be interested to see what's inside!!
One went last week on eBay for £120, so I'm just trying to keep my eye out for one. I contacted a Beamer dealer and with an online discount, it still came to £244. A little bit pricey really. I don't mind buying one second hand to test and keep if it works, sell on at a small loss if it doesn't, but to buy one new to sell it on at a 50% loss, is a bit too much for me. It's a fairly big outlay anyway.

I will dismantle the ordinary one later. It might just be a case of adding a fakra connector? Or even, simpler. I've seen that on VW's. Heck, it might just be a case of bypassing the stock connector, so that both antennas run off the same element in the window but the connection runs both via the diversity antenna and via a bypass direct to the head unit. Completely hypothetical though, and probably not going to be solved from dismantling it.

In the meantime, I've been speaking to some E46 owners, also with Xtrons units. Do we understand the differences between how the E46 diversity antenna handles the radio connections? They have suggested that if I cannot source the correct diversity antenna, they've all had good luck with this:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00BARNEC8/...B8J8V5KG&psc=0

Unfortunately, the seller does not ship to the UK which means we have to pay our standard 'British' tax.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BARNE...B8J8V5KG&psc=0

At £65 though with Amazon's uber liberal returns policy, it's hellishly tempting. I just feel like it's all been a huge hassle though. Lots of promises, very little delivery
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:11 AM   #41
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One went last week on eBay for £120, so I'm just trying to keep my eye out for one. I contacted a Beamer dealer and with an online discount, it still came to £244. A little bit pricey really. I don't mind buying one second hand to test and keep if it works, sell on at a small loss if it doesn't, but to buy one new to sell it on at a 50% loss, is a bit too much for me. It's a fairly big outlay anyway.

I will dismantle the ordinary one later. It might just be a case of adding a fakra connector? Or even, simpler. I've seen that on VW's. Heck, it might just be a case of bypassing the stock connector, so that both antennas run off the same element in the window but the connection runs both via the diversity antenna and via a bypass direct to the head unit. Completely hypothetical though, and probably not going to be solved from dismantling it.

In the meantime, I've been speaking to some E46 owners, also with Xtrons units. Do we understand the differences between how the E46 diversity antenna handles the radio connections? They have suggested that if I cannot source the correct diversity antenna, they've all had good luck with this:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00BARNEC8/...B8J8V5KG&psc=0

Unfortunately, the seller does not ship to the UK which means we have to pay our standard 'British' tax.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BARNE...B8J8V5KG&psc=0

At £65 though with Amazon's uber liberal returns policy, it's hellishly tempting. I just feel like it's all been a huge hassle though. Lots of promises, very little delivery
You have a lot more determination than me mate ha. I think I have really had enough now!!

What's your gripe (if anything) with just using internet radio?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #42
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
You have a lot more determination than me mate ha. I think I have really had enough now!!

What's your gripe (if anything) with just using internet radio?
None at all, except I drive through Holmes Chapel to get to work and both 3G and 4G have mega drop outs. It just about works with Spotify because Spotify buffers the next track before the last one has finished, but for Live broadcasts it usually grinds to a halt.

For everywhere else though, TuneIn Radio is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #43
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
None at all, except I drive through Holmes Chapel to get to work and both 3G and 4G have mega drop outs. It just about works with Spotify because Spotify buffers the next track before the last one has finished, but for Live broadcasts it usually grinds to a halt.

For everywhere else though, TuneIn Radio is brilliant.
Ah okay, fair enough. I guess I am lucky enough to only travel in areas with excellent 4G everywhere (Manchester City Centre).

I guess it is the case where whatever technology you use, there are bound to be signal loss somewhere!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #44
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay, fair enough. I guess I am lucky enough to only travel in areas with excellent 4G everywhere (Manchester City Centre).

I guess it is the case where whatever technology you use, there are bound to be signal loss somewhere!!
True enough! Plus, I love a challenge
Appreciate 0