E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328xi Waterpump errors, need help

10-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
HotelCharliHill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

2007 328xi Waterpump errors, need help

Recently had my cooling fan go into overdrive every time I turned on my car. Wasn't sure why, but I knew I had to drive to work. Also noticed my climate control would push cool air, but not any hot air. In fact it pushed cool air even when it was set to heat. After a few days I got an engine temp hot warning (yellow: drive slowly to your BMW service station), then a red engine temp warning (engine hot, pull over when safe), and finally a red warning reading "engine overheating, pull over and stop immediately or engine will be damaged".

Had a mechanic friend plug in his snap-on tools diagnostic computer and it pulled up two errors:

2E82 electric water pump, switch off
2E81 Electric water pump, speed difference

He said although he's done a little work on BMW's he won't be able to help due to it being from Germany (I thought all were made in Germany but apparently some are made in the States? I know this one shipped from Germany because I wanted some additional optional upgrades and had to wait 6 months for it to be built and sent over). His shop also deals primarily with domestics and they don't have manuals for BMW's.

He suggested I have another friend who's a mechanic work on it, and he may know some people that can work on it.

Question: Are there really going to be differences in parts between american and german made BMW's? What part number is the water pump if that's the problem and I need to replace it?

Also, he said it might just be the fuse having blown. Is that possible? I have about 90k kilometers on this vehicle.

Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

There's no such thing as an american built 3 series (so far, only the X series and Z4 have been built in Spartanburg, SC). it doesn't matter anyway, all 328i's use the same water pump.

Your car certainly needs a new water pump. It's about a $300-$500 DIY, more of course if you're paying somebody else to work for you.

It's unlikely to be a fuse. it's the pump.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Agreed. Common issue. Replace the pump and thermostat while you’re in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
HotelCharliHill
Registered
Rep

Thanks, gents. very helpful. Guys at another forum which will remain unnamed *Cought* bimmerforums called me a fool for continuing to drive the car and my friend a POS mechanic for telling me to keep driving it, both of which were details not in my post. Have a great night!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

As long as you're not getting an overheat warning - it's fine, but the pumps days are numbered and it needs replaced ASAP. And even then, I've (carefully) limped one home 20+ miles with a totally dead pump and never had a problem after. If you're always getting an overheat warning of course, that would be foolish to continue daily driving - limping home (or somewhere safe) is as far as I'd take it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
HotelCharliHill
Registered
Rep

Right, I didn't think it was a panic. Unless of course the heating sensor goes bad and I don't know the engine is overheating. But yes, the pump really is dead. My buddy felt the line and there was nothing in it yet the coolant resevoir was full. I only drove it as far as I needed to park it. Then a few days later I drove it 4 miles home to park, the latter no alarms coming on. Now I just have to get the parts and see if I can get a some mechanically inclined friends to help repair it. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
jdmendo01
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Had the same problem and some of the same symptoms, like said above you need a new water pump. It will probably run you at most $500 if you take it to a local mechanic
Appreciate 0