E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Has anyone fitted a Ctek Battery Sense to their E9x

11-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Has anyone fitted a Ctek Battery Sense to their E9x

Hi guys, been a while.

I am investigating this at this point in time. I want to fit a Ctek Battery Sense so that I can monitor my E90's battery via my phone rather than having to constantly have the car's bonnet (hood) open. I've been battling with an intermittent battery drain issue for ages now and just been monitoring it with my multimeter for the time being. It seems to be mostly behaving, but it is so unpredictable that I need to keep doing this for the time being.

I use the jumper points in the engine bay to monitor the battery and charge when necessary, but I don't fitting this Ctek Battery Sense in the engine bay is going to be the most practical, so I think connecting to the battery itself might the better way, but keen to hear if anyone has already done this and what they did. Plus any other suggestions. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Looks like no one is using one of these yet. I have my CTEK charging connections installed to the points under the hood and that works well. I don't have one of these Sense devices but would think it would be more accurate connected directly to the battery, probably last longer too than in the heat of the engine compartment.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Looks like no one is using one of these yet. I have my CTEK charging connections installed to the points under the hood and that works well. I don't have one of these Sense devices but would think it would be more accurate connected directly to the battery, probably last longer too than in the heat of the engine compartment.
I am also more keen to fit it directly to the battery, but most cars have the battery in the engine bay, so pretty sure it is designed to cope with the warm environment of the engine bay. I also think I prefer putting it where the battery is so that there's no signs of it connected in the engine bay.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Hi guys, I finally got one of these Ctek Battery Sense devices and while my original idea was to install it in the boot directly connected to the battery, it's not so easy to do that with all the BMW power connectors, so had it neatly fitted in the engine bay directly to the positive jump connector and under strut brace. The unit itself is neatly tucked away behind the pollen filter cowl under the cover where the brake booster is located (right hand drive, would have to be under the cover of the ECU if left hand drive).

It's pretty handy to be able to monitor the battery remotely via your smart phone, so quite happy with it! I actually bought another one for one of my other non BMW vehicles.

This is what the Ctek Battery Sense app shows:

Appreciate 0