E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > DYI: Easiest way to get 1b file and generate FSC codes for CIC navi map update

03-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #331
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

I have a 2010 E92 with a 12/09 build date.

I was able to update directly to the 2019 NA Premium using a USB stick and the
file I downloaded from the web. I now have the new data and the new 45 degree map views. It updates the navigation system, not just the map data.

However, I was not able to get the activation code to extract from my vehicle using the tool. It repeatedly gave me a code that was incorrect and never extracted the correct VIN from the car. Our cars (from this manufacture period) did not have the VIN programmed into the system where the tool can get it.

I was able to get the activation code from someone that can do it using only the VIN number of the car (like the Dealer does) and I paid a few $ to get it. You can find several on e-Bay that will provide the code and give you a direct link to the map data so that you do not have to spend hours getting the data from a random site.

Last edited by Velocity26; 03-12-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #332
ex5umo
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 x20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsl521628 View Post
bump. any help out there?
At the first download of the "b1.zip", the file contains a folder with name "b1". Into the folder are a sample "b1.hex" file and "fsc.bat"

I was unzipped the b1.zip to diverse USB sticks, FAT32, FAT16, NTFS, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB..., nothing works. I was thinked, i am too stupid.

Into the thread, i saw files ("copie_scr.sh" and "instructions.txt") that are not into the b1.zip file that i was downloaded. I was downloaded the "b1.zip" file again, now it contains the right files!!!

The right b1.zip filesize is 30kb, the false b1.zip filesize is 1kb.

After the right download, all tested USB sticks were worked fine.
Appreciate 1
leeks4.00
      03-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #333
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

As a clarification, I was able to get the extraction program to work, the data it is trying to extract from my car was simply not programmed into cars built during my car's period.

The program would extract the file and I was able to open the file and read it. My car's VIN was not in the file and the resulting unlock code would not work. I spoke to the program creator and he confirmed that cars from my period were not supported without manually entering additional data into the file extracted by the program.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #334
leeks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i LCi

For those looking for the 2019 Europe Maps. Please see attached torrent files.

Hope this is within the rules. Otherwise please delete my post
Attached Files
File Type: zip East West 2019-1.zip (89.2 KB, 631 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #335
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by portalseo View Post
As pointed out by you the vin anomaly seems to affect most e9x 3ers built between sep. 2008 - end of 2009 running on old firmware and in some rare instances those who didn't format their usb drives using fat32 . If your car has undergone the big BMW upgrade you should be fine and can proceed to pull the 1b file using your usb plug in your glove compartment. Alternatively you can also do the firmware upgrade yourself if you have the files at hand.

OK so for those of us with early build LCI cars that have never been updated, what's the consensus-best way to go about it? Not only am I still on the 2009 maps version, but I'm prevented from doing a combox upgrade or basically anything else without that firmware update. Can't really find anything in searches that points to a solution for those of us with 2009-2010 model cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #336
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo View Post
Not only am I still on the 2009 maps version, but I'm prevented from doing a combox upgrade or basically anything else without that firmware update.
You may be able to do a map update using the old firmware. My car hasn't had a firmware update (Prod. Date: 2009-09-25) but I was able to do a map update via USB in 2013 (using a FSC code which I bought).

Quote:
Can't really find anything in searches that points to a solution for those of us with 2009-2010 model cars.
Same here.
Having it done at a dealer is one option (at a cost).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #337
330xi_dd_CT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

This method worked perfectly for me. Thank you!

Updated my 2009 M3 maps from original maps to NA Premium 2019. The lifetime code from the FSC generator worked too so hopefully I won't have to do that again.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #338
Kkgy79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 m5

Quote:
I've been a silent reader of this forum for quite some time and I got a lot of useful information and help out of it and what better way to make my first post by (hopefully) giving back to the community.

The following is by far the easiest and most convenient way to pull your 1b file from your car and generate an FSC update code for your BMW CIC navigation unit (at least for me) and I haven't come across any other method that is easier.

Tools required:

-one usb stick.
- 1b.zip: Attached below.
- “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“: Download Windows version from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW0...ew?usp=sharing or directly from Jaeger's thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464
- Maps.zip: Attached below.

“1b.zip” contains the files necessary to pull the 1b file from your car via USB, “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“ contains the FSC generator (a big thanks to user Jaeger and I hope he doesn't mind me using his generator as my preferred choice for generating fsc codes) and “MAPS.zip“ contains different map versions covering the most popular regions (North America, Europe and OZ/New Zealand).

First step: Pull 1b file from your car via usb stick.

1. Unpack the ZIP file (1b.zip) to the root of an empty USB stick
2. Power on your car (ignition on is fine, you don't need to start your car) and wait until the navigation system has started completely
3. Put the USB stick in the USB port in the glove box (do not use the usb port found in the middle console).
4. Wait for around 30 seconds
5. Remove the USB stick from the port in the glove box and put it in your (windows) computer
6. Check if the file 1b.hex is present on the USB stick (if not go to step 2 and try another USB stick). The file should be exactly 319 bytes in size and you can check your file by opening it with a hex editor such as HxD https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Second step: Generate your FSC code using Jaeger's FSC generator

1. Unpack the ZIP file (bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip) in Windows/Mac (after unpacking wait for a couple of seconds for the generator to automatically download the file Lookup.xml")
2. Open the FSC generator by clicking on "BMW_CIC_FSC_Generator.exe" and select the 1b file you pulled from your car as described above.
3. Select desired map type, region and version to generate your code.

Last step: Download desired map version and install on USB stick:

1. Unpack the ZIP file (MAPS.zip) and click on your desired map version (make sure you have a bit torrent client installed) to download it.
2. Put the downloaded map on an empty USB stick (just make sure it has been formatted using fat32).

Plug the usb stick containing your downloaded map version in the glove box of your car and switch your ignition on. After a couple of minutes your CIC will prompt you to update your map version. Just enter your generated code and the update will commence automatically.
That's it, you're done and good to go!

Big thanks again to Jaeger for his excellent fsc code generator http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464.

Update: Maps.zip now contains a direct torrent download link for north america premium 2018-1 which supports both updating via dvd or alternatively via usb stick.
Please help me. Im stuck at generate fsc code
I followed instruction and i pulled out 1b file from the car.
But i open file on generatoer program it show only map type
I cant pick region map etc. so not able to generate fsc
Please help me. 2013 f13 cic. Using na premium 2013 now
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #339
Kkgy79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkgy79 View Post
Please help me. Im stuck at generate fsc code
I followed instruction and i pulled out 1b file from the car.
But i open file on generatoer program it show only map type
I cant pick region map etc. so not able to generate fsc
Please help me. 2013 f13 cic. Using na premium 2013 now
Suddenly it works. Finally i generated my fsd code
Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #340
Ti317
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Thanks to Portaleso and Jaeger. I followed the instructions as written by both and it worked flawlessly.
I purchased the Ma update from eBay for $10 less my $0.43 eBay Bucks. I only was able to find Premium 2019. I did generate a supposed lifetime code so I will see when the 2019-2 maps come out and are cheaper, if it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #341
aleis99
Registered
Rep
Drives: mini cooper s

I have a problem, I have a mini cooper of 2016 and only has a usb drive in the console, when connecting to that usb it does not generate the previously unzipped file in a usb drive. I have tried several pendrives and it does not generate the file. Can anybody help me?
Thank you

Last edited by aleis99; 04-10-2019 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #342
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

This worked flawlessly for me!!! Two fat32 usb sticks, the fsc generator (on Mac btw), the 2019 premium map download, 1b.hex retrieval and I am good to go!!! EVERYTHING worked for me on the very first try. Only thing was leaving he car on for about an hour for the update to complete. I have a 2011 535i m sport and did the install through the glovebox with one usb (the other was to retrieve the 1b.hex file).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #343
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Would that method work for 2018 x5?
I tried and not working, 2 different computers and 2 different USB sticks and nothing
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #344
genebike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quick note of thanks: after looking at this thread for a few years I finally took the plunge and did this last week updating to the 2019 maps in my 2010 e90. A few fits & starts, but ultimately this was an extremely helpful guide. Thanks for putting this together.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #345
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

Thank you everyone. Successfully updated my 2012 335is to north america premium 2019-1!
I used a microsd card and usb adapter with no issues, just needed to format to fat32.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #346
MCDUBBIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 SC M3 E93

Help With Map download

Update: Maps.zip now contains a direct torrent download link for north america premium 2018-1 which supports both updating via dvd or alternatively via usb stick.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CICfscupdate.pdf (66.1 KB, 8504 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1b.zip (29.2 KB, 12895 views)
File Type: zip MAPS.zip (402.2 KB, 9103 views)

DOes this mean all you need gto do is drag your version of the maps (torrent file) onto a USB and that's it??

Please clarify.

Thank you

Quote:
I've been a silent reader of this forum for quite some time and I got a lot of useful information and help out of it and what better way to make my first post by (hopefully) giving back to the community.

The following is by far the easiest and most convenient way to pull your 1b file from your car and generate an FSC update code for your BMW CIC navigation unit (at least for me) and I haven't come across any other method that is easier.

Tools required:

-one usb stick.
- 1b.zip: Attached below.
- “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“: Download Windows version from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW0...ew?usp=sharing or directly from Jaeger's thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464
- Maps.zip: Attached below.

“1b.zip” contains the files necessary to pull the 1b file from your car via USB, “bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip“ contains the FSC generator (a big thanks to user Jaeger and I hope he doesn't mind me using his generator as my preferred choice for generating fsc codes) and “MAPS.zip“ contains different map versions covering the most popular regions (North America, Europe and OZ/New Zealand).

First step: Pull 1b file from your car via usb stick.

1. Unpack the ZIP file (1b.zip) to the root of an empty USB stick
2. Power on your car (ignition on is fine, you don't need to start your car) and wait until the navigation system has started completely
3. Put the USB stick in the USB port in the glove box (do not use the usb port found in the middle console).
4. Wait for around 30 seconds
5. Remove the USB stick from the port in the glove box and put it in your (windows) computer
6. Check if the file 1b.hex is present on the USB stick (if not go to step 2 and try another USB stick). The file should be exactly 319 bytes in size and you can check your file by opening it with a hex editor such as HxD https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Second step: Generate your FSC code using Jaeger's FSC generator

1. Unpack the ZIP file (bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip) in Windows/Mac (after unpacking wait for a couple of seconds for the generator to automatically download the file Lookup.xml")
2. Open the FSC generator by clicking on "BMW_CIC_FSC_Generator.exe" and select the 1b file you pulled from your car as described above.
3. Select desired map type, region and version to generate your code.

Last step: Download desired map version and install on USB stick:

1. Unpack the ZIP file (MAPS.zip) and click on your desired map version (make sure you have a bit torrent client installed) to download it.
2. Put the downloaded map on an empty USB stick (just make sure it has been formatted using fat32).

Plug the usb stick containing your downloaded map version in the glove box of your car and switch your ignition on. After a couple of minutes your CIC will prompt you to update your map version. Just enter your generated code and the update will commence automatically.
That's it, you're done and good to go!

Big thanks again to Jaeger for his excellent fsc code generator http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #347
MCDUBBIN
United_States
Rep

USB Size? HELP! lol

I can't get the torrent file to run through my USB in my glove compartment.

Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Is there a step by step process, or should it automatically start downloading?

I have a 8 GB USB I am using for the small torrent file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #348
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDUBBIN View Post
I can't get the torrent file to run through my USB in my glove compartment.

Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Is there a step by step process, or should it automatically start downloading?

I have a 8 GB USB I am using for the small torrent file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
you need to run the torrent on another device or computer... then unpack all files to the root of the USB. you'll need a larger drive unless you want to keep loading/ installing and replacing each disc
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #349
MCDUBBIN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
you need to run the torrent on another device or computer... then unpack all files to the root of the USB. you'll need a larger drive unless you want to keep loading/ installing and replacing each disc
Thanks, I went a bought a 32G USB and in the process of Downloading all 5 parts for the 2019 maps with webtorrent and then I was told I needed to select all and extract the downloads with WinRAR and then apply that to the USB.

Looks like it will take me about a day to complete the download of all 19-20G.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #350
MCDUBBIN
United_States
Rep

This is insane! lol

Maybe its because I am downloading the 2019 maps and not the 2018.

Is there not a way for people to just share the 2 files that need to go onto the USB to plug into your car instead of downloading for days if not weeks?

I am even willing to pay a couple dollars to not have to wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #351
MCDUBBIN
United_States
Rep

I have to be missing something, there is no way everyone that wants to update their maps is waiting a whole week just for download and unpack the 2 files to put on the USB??

Still in the process of downloading the 2019 torrent file, using webtorrent (which will take weeks!)

I haven't even started unpacking which I assume takes up more time to unpack the files to get to the 2 files required using WinRAR.

Am I doing this wrong?

Can someone please help me, I just really want to get the 2 files onto my USB so I can do this 2019 update already.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #352
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDUBBIN View Post
Still in the process of downloading the 2019 torrent file, using webtorrent (which will take weeks!)
That doesn't sound right, unless the torrent device/s you're downloading from are congested/overloaded.

A 20 GB (Giga Bytes) file is about 171,798,691,840 bits (1 byte = 8 bits).

Download time will depend on your internet speed as well as other factors (network congestion, torrent device capacity, etc).
Assuming no congestion, then estimated times to download a 20 GB file at selected internet speeds are given below:
100 Mbps ~30 minutes
10 Mbps ~5 hours
1 Mbps ~48 hours
To speed things up, download to the hard drive of your computer (not to the USB), then unpack to the hard drive (up to 10 minutes depending on speed of computer). Once unpacked, copy the contents to the root of the USB drive.

Also, if downloading 2019 maps, make sure you've generated the correct FSC Code for 2019 (or alternatively, generated a Lifetime code)

Last edited by bcoz; 04-21-2019 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0