E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > What Coder/Scanner to buy?!?!?

03-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
portednpolished
Rep
Drives: 84 vette, 09 cobalt ss

What Coder/Scanner to buy?!?!?

I just picked up an 09 335i coupe and I'm looking for the best scan/code/logging tool. I have seen a few on the market Barvarian, BimmerGeeks, icarly etc... If any one could give me some advice or drop a link to a good thread please do. I've been leaning towards one that connects to a laptop to get more features, if that's true. I do plan on modding in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by portednpolished View Post
I just picked up an 09 335i coupe and I'm looking for the best scan/code/logging tool...I've been leaning towards one that connects to a laptop to get more features, if that's true. I do plan on modding in the future.
I'm no expert on the variety of "Scan Tools" and Software available, but have been trying to determine the capabilities of various tools, during the 2 years I have owned an E91 N52KP. Like MOST tools, each has its strengths, so what is right for YOU depends upon what you own and what FUNCTIONS you want the tool to perform. For MOST things other than "logging," if you have a Windows 10 Laptop, the most Versatile solution is to Download BMW Standard Tools and use INPA for diagnostics (Read Fault Codes & FF Data; View Parameters or Real Time Data from All Modules and Sensors attached; Activations or control of motors, etc.).

Standard Tools also includes NCS, Dummy & Expert, for changing Options in various modules (coding). I'm NOT aware of any "logging" that can be done where the changing data being read or viewed is recorded in a streaming data file, but ONE of the multiple programs in Standard Tools may allow that.

INPA is a VERY powerful diagnostics tool. Downside is that many of the data screens, once you get past the Menus, are in German, and some time with Google Translate is needed to understand & translate the German Technical terminology and Code Definitions. Upside is that most of the Parameter Readout (F5/Status) is in BarGraph format, so once you have translated the Labels for the graphs or screens, the readout is obvious.

My concept is that a laptop allows more functionality as it can run different programs for different functions, it can Save screens in jpg format which can then be attached to forum posts so others can see your data (as opposed to taking photos of a smaller screen), and you can save your data for historical reference for multiple vehicles, saved by vehicle sytem, etc. The trick is to find the best software for any particular task.

So if you have a laptop, my suggestion is spend $45 for BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable, and go to their downloads site and download Standard Tools as well as Rheingold (ISTA). Begin with Standard Tools, and once you've learned generally how the multiple programs there work (at least INPA for diagnostics & NCS Dummy for coding) you can add ISTA which adds a lot of information about systems, as well as "flow chart" type of diagnostic testing, all in English, which many may find more helpful than the INPA approach which is perhaps more suited to engineers & old-school techs/mechanics who want to try to understand how the various systems work.

There are other software installations for a laptop which are good for generic P-code diagnostics and logging of such things as fuel trim and other strictly DME parameters, whether on a BMW or any other car sold in US since 1996, which offer a cable & free software download for $30. I currently use OBD-Wiz to do P-code Diagnostics on any Make/Model, but the entry-level version I have will NOT do other modules, such as ABS or Trans.

ANYONE know of any available Laptop software install that can read codes in most modules of MULTIPLE manufacturers (Engine ECU, Trans ECU, ABS, etc.) for BMW, Ford, GM, Toyota, etc. where you use same cable & perhaps pay a fee for additional manufacturer functionality?

I'm trying to get current on my concepts of what tools perform which functions, so if anyone has any corrections or additions to anything above, please advise.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 03-13-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Don't buy carly.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I just picked up an 09 335i coupe and I'm looking for the best scan/code/logging tool. I have seen a few on the market Barvarian, BimmerGeeks, icarly etc... If any one could give me some advice or drop a link to a good thread please do. I've been leaning towards one that connects to a laptop to get more features, if that's true. I do plan on modding in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Right now, I'd say buy the bimmergeeks app plus their cable. That one seems to be the latest and greatest.

BMW tools has its uses

ISTA D & P also are very powerful software applications. This is what the BMW dealer uses.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Cable and free software with the Inpa suite and Ista D is
the most powerful and also the cheapest .
also bimmergeeks cable is rec0mended.
If you want a canned solution the Bimmergeeks pro tool
seems to be the best thing now

Last edited by ctuna; 03-14-2019 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
With BimmerGeeks app you get almost same functionality as tool32/ncsexpert/Inpa in regards of Diagnosing and coding, plus its handy to have it on the smartphone.

You can code whatever you want, default code modules, retrofit code, change FA/VO, run adaptations, initialize stuff and so on.

Only benefit having all that on laptop would be flashing ability which you should be careful with.

Yes you can get tools that they use at dealers, you can also get tools that do more than they do at dealers but do you really need them?
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #7
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

My grip about the coding with Protool is lack of a guide or examples showing how something that is done with tool32/ncsexpert/Inpa can be done using the app.

They -BimmerGeeks- mentioned there will be some tutorials on their website.

Hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
portednpolished
Rep
Drives: 84 vette, 09 cobalt ss

So at the end of the day its Protool (newer) vs. INPA? From the looks of it INPA will work on android and on the laptop? I like that I can then move on to INSTA being an engineer. Does anybody have any screen shoots or know where I can find various screens for Protools/INPA/INSTA?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There is no INSTA its Ista D for diagnstics or Ista P for programming and the Inpa suite and those will only work on a PC laptop as far as I know.
The Protool is for phones.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...From the looks of it INPA will work on android and on the laptop? I like that I can then move on to INSTA being an engineer. Does anybody have any screen shoots or know where I can find various screens for Protools/INPA/INSTA?
Doubt INPA/ISTA works on Android, BUT they work fine on Windows 10 Laptop, with easy ability to save & share screens on forums or for future reference on one's own computer. If you have engineering approach to diagnostics, then INPA on laptop may be best choice. Only issue with that is if you don't understand technical German, Google Translate is necessary for Code Definitions, technical instructions on some screens (such as Activation/Steuern test conditions) and component/ sensor labels on screens. Once you've learned the basic German words, INPA is a VERY powerful diagnostic tool.

I have NOT used ISTA yet, but my impression is that it is actually LESS suited for engineer types who want to take the time to understand HOW each system actually works, and MORE suited to Flow Chart (trail of breadcrumbs ;-) approach for the Tech who just wants to "get 'er done" without taking the time to fully understand the system or the software.

Comments by anyone who has used ISTA welcomed.

Some sample INPA screens (from MOSTLY German version) are attached to the NEXT post, so as NOT to mess up margins on this post.

I would be intersted in creating or contributing to a thread dedicated to E9x diagnostics using INPA, focusing on specific use of various INPA screens, such as those in following post. ANYONE (1) knowing of any such already-existing INPA thread, or (2) having suggestions related to the format for a new thread, please advise.

George
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...Does anybody have any screen shoots or know where I can find various screens for Protools/INPA/INSTA?
Here are some sample ScreenPrints from INPA mostly German Version, N52KP, E91, 328xi, 3/14/2007 build date:

1) Functional Jobs, F2 Identification, showing ID info for all 20 Modules in vehicle

2) Functional Jobs, F4, F1, Fault Codes, ALL Modules, 2 screens (Fehlerspeicher Lesen)

3) DME (MSV80), F6, F1, F2 Radiator Fan Activation (E-Luft) @ 15%, 50% & 90%; Shows Fan speed (%) and temp at OFH per ECTS signal
received by DME on models w/o Radiator Outlet Temp Sensor, that value is ECTS LESS 7.5C

4) DME, F6, F1, F6 Thermostat (KFK) Activation; Shows KFK open % & ECTS Temp

5) DME, F6, F1, Shft+F1 Coolant Pump (Wasserpumpe) Activation; Shows % of max pump speed; Shows ECTS temp; this screen shows
actual temp & pump speed with engine running
Test pump with engine off (Drehzahl = 0) & engine temp < 95C to see if pump speed is
approximately selected speed (5%, 50% or 95%); deviation from control speed shows pump condition

6) IHKA (Climate Control), F5, F1 with MAX A/C button pressed, engine on, 79F Ambient
Note: Druck Kaltemittel = Refrigerant pressure at high side pressure sensor; Temperatur Verdampfer = Evaporator Temp

7) IHKA, F5, F4 Flap Positions (Klappenpositionen), Shows position of each of 8 Flap Motors;
Mischluft Links & Mischluft Rechts = Mixed Air Left & Mixed Air Right (Blend Flaps), heater core or NOT

In all Screenprints of Activation Screens, NO function key was pressed to control device
% of function was under DME control only, so simply monitoring values
Note "Ansteuerbedingung" (Test/Control Conditions) at top of Activation screens; Klemme 15 ein = ignition ON
Batteriespannung = Battery/System Voltage; Drehzahl = 0 means RPM 0 or motor OFF
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Do yourself a favor and make sure you hook up a good battery charger to your car if you're playing with anything software related.

I ended up losing communication to my DME due to lack luster voltages.

there is a clock in all your modules and it needs to start up and sync properly each time the car starts, if that can't or doesn't happen, a module will go out of sync and you'll not be able to access it any longer.

I've no idea how to fix it, though someone on these forms was able to remote to my computer and reinitialize it. What a god send.
Appreciate 0