E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I cloned my MSV70 DME

05-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #2201
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

thanks -

OK, it's fixed. Try the new file. I can't test it myself since I don't have a Z4. Also, now you should see just the stock ZB#s for download, not all of the MSV70 files that exist.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #2202
diedvdijk
Rep
Drives: Z4 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
thanks -

OK, it's fixed. Try the new file. I can't test it myself since I don't have a Z4. Also, now you should see just the stock ZB#s for download, not all of the MSV70 files that exist.
Thanks guys. I will give it a try right now

Edit. The car is driving well now. The current file I have is, when looking for the numbers, the Z4 3.0SI US version right?

Now I am curious about the file used in the 5 series and X5 models. I find out these cars have 272 HP with the same engine N52B30. Can I also go for that power? Furtermore.. does anyone has a Damos file for this ECU type? I there experience of someone how makes this engine even faster? I guess BMW tuned the engine with the goal to go to the max. Since it doenst have a turbo or so.

Last edited by diedvdijk; 05-17-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #2203
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diedvdijk View Post
Quote:
thanks -

Edit. The car is driving well now. The current file I have is, when looking for the numbers, the Z4 3.0SI US version right?

Now I am curious about the file used in the 5 series and X5 models. I find out these cars have 272 HP with the same engine N52B30. Can I also go for that power? Furtermore.. does anyone has a Damos file for this ECU type? I there experience of someone how makes this engine even faster? I guess BMW tuned the engine with the goal to go to the max. Since it doenst have a turbo or so.
What, you just gained 40hp (crank) and you are looking for more on the same day. That was quick, most people drive around for a while before adapting to the extra power and looking for more. At this pace you might be in the wrong car.😦.

This was the easiest power gain you are going to get. It's all uphill from here.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #2204
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:

As far as I’m aware, it’s only the direct injection version that makes 272
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #2205
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Forget about the factory 273 hp tunes. Several of us have dug into this and they really don't exist. It's a mixture of errors in web sites like BMW archive and marketing between DIN HP and PS. The N53 has 273 hp but used direct injection to get there.

The SUVs and E89 version have something like 258 or 260 Hp but there is nothing in the tune, gains are from the exhaust system.

If you look at the maps, these tunes are essentially 330 tunes.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #2206
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Yeah, don't lose sight of the idea that BMW rates their engine versions in kW, and sometimes it's fuzzy what conversion factor is used by the US marketing group to determine what they want that to equate to in horsepower. Wiki lists a 195kW version of the N52 in the Z4 and a 200kW version in the SUVs. N53 also is listed as being rated for 200kW in the 30i designation models where it was installed. Since we never had N53 in the US, there wouldn't have been much reason for anyone to assign a horsepower value to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #2207
diedvdijk
Rep

Hello Guys,

To bad, today my MIL lights up and I have some errors. Error due to communication from the instrument cluster to the DME. Somehow it has a problem with the fuel level sensors and the communication in general. Its looks like the DME doesnt recieve the information of the cluster anymore. Maybe I need to update the instrument cluster as well? A little bit strange since the tune file I get earlier (which was the wrong one) doenst have any of these faultcodes.

The faultcodes I have now are 2DE3 (no message from instrument cluster)and two regarding to left and right tank level sensor. Everything is working, only the MIL lights up now.

The extra HP is just since i am curious in the differences in the files for the different type of cars.

Maybe there is a configuration error or so? Are we sure we used the E85 file? I think the configurationsettings are also in the file? For my understanding there are no differences in the 3.0i and 3.0si for the 2006 my. The first tune file was error free. only the bad driving behavior. now the driving is good only there are faultcodes left.

someone that can help me?

Last edited by diedvdijk; 05-19-2019 at 03:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #2208
diedvdijk
Rep

Hello all,

An update from my side. Today I tried to set back the first tune file I tried. The file that gives me the shocking driving behavior.

No faultcodes. Just a nice running car exept the shocks due to the wrong map.

What can I do? I allready checked the differences in the maps. Which are without Damos or mappack not possible to understand.

The problem is regarding the fuel level. The fuel level is required since CARB accepts to turn of the misfire monitor due to misfiring with the cause of low fuel quantities. Therefore this missing details for the ECU return in a two stage MIL. Maybe setting up the EU map for my vehicle will not have this monitor and so no faultcodes. For me thats fine.

Please help me out. I will never ask for any more horsepower on my vehicle then
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #2209
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I dug into this some more. there are actually 4(!!!) matching ZB#s for the same hardware version. Maybe they are for different options?

BMWs record keeping on the Z4 is really horrible. If you look up these parts in the ETK they don't even show up (you get some sort of generic part # that also isn't a ZB#). You have to go back to an old part #, then look it up in the HWH until you find the latest ZB#.

Not sure what the differences would have been anyway. It appears they are all the same files with different version strings and a couple extremely minor changes.

I made another one based on zb# 7623587, but it's actually all the same (bit for bit). But this time, I did a comparison and copied a couple parameters from the Kombi error code handling over from the original 3.0i file; c_abc_inc_tout_icl_3 and c_abc_max_tout_icl_3. Try it and let me know.

Last edited by hassmaschine; 05-20-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #2210
diedvdijk
Rep

Quote:
I dug into this some more. there are actually 4(!!!) matching ZB#s for the same hardware version. Maybe they are for different options?

BMWs record keeping on the Z4 is really horrible. If you look up these parts in the ETK they don't even show up (you get some sort of generic part # that also isn't a ZB#). You have to go back to an old part #, then look it up in the HWH until you find the latest ZB#.

Not sure what the differences would have been anyway. It appears they are all the same files with different version strings and a couple extremely minor changes.

I made another one based on zb# 7623587, but it's actually all the same (bit for bit). But this time, I did a comparison and copied a couple parameters from the Kombi error code handling over from the original 3.0i file; c_abc_inc_tout_icl_3 and c_abc_max_tout_icl_3. Try it and let me know.
I will try it directly. Maybe the EU spec is just an option? I find out the first file you give to me is a 2.5si EU file. That files worked regarding to faultcodes. Maybe the 3.0si EU file is the file I really need. The file 7581356? I also find something about the cluster with different software .c07 instead of .c08 maybe other configurations software version of the cluster in different configurations. Anyway I will try your new file now.

Last edited by diedvdijk; 05-20-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #2211
diedvdijk
Rep

Quote:

Hello hassmachine. After some time of driving again the same faultcodes appair. No MIL but I think it was a two stage. So tomorrow I will drive again and I think the MIL will light up than. As I read correctly you took the Original file of my vehicle which I tried earlier, to make sure the problem was the tune file and not my manifold. That file, I am not sure, but for what I was thinking now had the same problem. I did not noticed this out since it doenst matter.

Tomorrow I will try the three files again.

First I will start with the current in my vehicle try to trigger the two stage MIL.
Then I will go back to the basis map and will again try to trigger the MIL
At last I will go to the wrong first tune file (Original 2.5si file) to find out if I am still able to trigger the MIL

I you have some time, please try to convert the 3.0si EU file with the right powerclass so I can test that file as well.

For now. I have no idea anymore. The only thing I can think of is doing the same for the instrumentcluster part number. Maybe there is some software change avaiable for later engine ECU software. So you need to update both ecu's. Will see.

Last edited by diedvdijk; 05-20-2019 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #2212
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

do you have a 3 stage manifold? From the looks of the stock 3.0i tune, it doesn't have it. You will get an error code if it's missing.

I put the EU 3.0si up as well.

Nothing on any of the tunes has changed regarding the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #2213
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
For what it's worth,

I used the following files on my 2007 Z4 3.0i

S7623582.0da (Original base 3.0i file, US File) 0049PP0L921S0YD3S
S7623586.0da (3.0SI US file) 0049PP0L921S0KD3S

When splicing, I always swapped the powerclass bytes AND the Identifier bytes. This kept me from getting the "coding error" , too lazy to re-code the DME.

Never had an issue with the Kombi.

I've uploaded both of the original 0da files, just in case there is something "fishy" with a Daten file somewhere.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ODA Files.zip (215.3 KB, 91 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #2214
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Bimmerlabs uses the original 0da files - there was some stuff with the 7623585 ZB# that had to do with the kombi errors, but I just uploaded a new one that has the same settings as the original.

basically the 3.0si 83, 84, 85, and 87.0da's are almost all identical except a couple minor changes that don't really matter too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:56 AM   #2215
diedvdijk
Rep

Quote:
do you have a 3 stage manifold? From the looks of the stock 3.0i tune, it doesn't have it. You will get an error code if it's missing.

I put the EU 3.0si up as well.

Nothing on any of the tunes has changed regarding the instrument cluster.
Thanks, Yes I have the 3-stage manifold right now. But I get some errors. Will try your files by the end of the day. The errors I get are:

- 2FA3 Coding error (no problem)
- 2DE1
- 2DE2
- 2DE3 (botschaft von der instrumentclusterkobination fehlt, I-Kombi 7) (kein signal)

Inpa translates the 2DE1, 2DE2 codes to the fuel level left right and 2DE3 to general communication.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #2216
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Yes I have the 3-stage manifold right now. But I get some errors. Will try your files by the end of the day. The errors I get are:

- 2FA3 Coding error (no problem)
- 2DE1
- 2DE2
- 2DE3 (botschaft von der instrumentclusterkobination fehlt, I-Kombi 7) (kein signal)

Inpa translates the 2DE1, 2DE2 codes to the fuel level left right and 2DE3 to general communication.
I get that sometimes on my MS45 E46 after clearing adaptions. Usually driving around a bit and starting/stop the engine a few times gets it working.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #2217
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Just to make sure you're on the right page, from what I'm seeing:

USA 3.0si upto 10/2006 should be 7623587
USA 3.0si from 10/2006 should be 7623585
EU 3.0si should be 7581354 (which is still based on 921S despite the large number difference)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #2218
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

The only differences I saw in those two files was the _icl_3 error debouncing - which I matched to his original stock file. Actually just looking at that one change I don't think it would cause an instrument cluster error anyway, setting c_abc_inc_*anything to 0 should actually delete that error code entirely.

So basically I think it's worth trying to clear the error code and drive it and see what happens, because either way I don't think it's related to the files themselves.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #2219
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The only differences I saw in those two files was the _icl_3 error debouncing - which I matched to his original stock file. Actually just looking at that one change I don't think it would cause an instrument cluster error anyway, setting c_abc_inc_*anything to 0 should actually delete that error code entirely.

So basically I think it's worth trying to clear the error code and drive it and see what happens, because either way I don't think it's related to the files themselves.
Being from the Netherlands I imagine he has a euro car? I'm seeing pretty considerable differences between the US and Euro tunes.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #2220
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

But his typecode is a US car? (BU33).

I also put up the euro version. Actually it has considerably more aggressive ignition mapping than the us 3.0si tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #2221
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Okay I just noticed his first post mentioned he has a US-spec car.

In any case, it might just be that issue I run into with my MS45 car (since Z4 and E46 have basically the same can-bus). Usually it gets working properly after a couple short drives.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #2222
diedvdijk
Rep

He guys,

Thanks you all for your way of thinking about my problem. I was not able to trigger the MIL again with the file with changed settings regarding to the cluster. I think it's indeed the problem with driving and driving since for now, the files I used yesterday only gives me a fault once during driving.

I didn't try the EU file. I tried the stock version and the first 3.0si US file. that last file gives me the error more than 5 times. The adjusted file from yesterday only give me once during driving. for now it looks like it fixed. But I don't know how end why.

What will I noticed with the more aggressive EU map. hoger torque at lower rpms? better fuel consumption? I know that EU cars are less emission cars that US variants.

I still want to try the files if that helps. The file I am running now looks fine.

How come this error is disappeared now? Anyone have an explanation?
Appreciate 0