E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > DYI: Easiest way to get 1b file and generate FSC codes for CIC navi map update

08-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #419
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

So I got my cable and followed the instructions to the letter. Used 111.111.111.111 as the DNS(instructions said it didn't matter, but i'm hoping that is the problem). The laptop recognizes the unknown network when I turn the car on but doesn't take me to a log in screen when I put in the address in the browser. I tried chrome and edge. Going to try IE next and also changing the DNS to 1.1.1.1. Any thoughts?

P.S. I am using my regular laptop as I didn't want to touch any settings on the lenovo I use for inpa, winkfp etc..... Instructions didn't specify the device I should use should have ediabas or inpa on it.

UPDATE: SUCCESS!!! Tried several times several different combinations of the IP, subnet, etc.... with no success with IE. Decided before I gave up to click the setting for the IP, subnet, etc... to be chosen automatically and it took a few seconds longer for the pc to recognize the connection but it finally did. Second variation to the instructions was after I put in the address in IE it immediately went to the root folder. No login or PW was asked for. I then found the file as described and save it to my laptop. Went inside and searched for the string with the hex editor and the first attempt was the wrong string and actually the exact same string the usb glovebox method produced. Second attempt with the editor and clicked search all and it found the string way at the bottom and once I saw my vin in the right column I knew it was correct. Went to the car and tried the lifetime FSC and it worked.

Last edited by DRMCEO; 08-19-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #420
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Reread this entire thread to avoid asking the same question that was asked 20 other times and it has been asked but not answered. I need to burn the map to dvd because usb is not an option as I have the old firmware. Did a bunch of reading but getting conflicting information about how to burn them. I DL imgburn and tried to burn just the contents of the 4 folders. the pkdbg folder and the config file and it was unreadable. then burned it as an iso and the same result. But when its on a usb stick its not an iso file so why burn as an iso? or is the iso when it was the CCC and the disc stayed in the old drives?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #421
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMCEO View Post
I need to burn the map to dvd because usb is not an option as I have the old firmware.
What is your car's production date?
Mine is 2009-09-25 and I was able to update using USB, even though I think it's still on the old firmware.

Forget about what the forums say, have you tried updating using USB? (now that you have a correct FSC code)
(I suggest you try the 1st USB volume, if it accepts it, then you can copy the rest of the data to USB).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #422
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep

12-08-2009 is the production date. Car was supposedly updated in 2015 but all the cic files still say 2009. I tried the usb method 2 years ago with a one time fsc and map kit i bought and it failed at 87.7% every time. Might give the usb option 1 more try but still looking for the dvd answer if anyone knows. I don't think it makes a difference but just so its known it is an E60.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #423
adl75
Rep
Drives: bmw 320 - bmw X1

link map

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiko View Post
I am a new user here looking for any help i may be able to get please. I followed the steps, got 1b.hex file from car smoothly, downloaded maps and copied to usb. my e91 recognize the usb and start the upgrade process but does not accept generated code with message 'entered code is incorrect'. I have tried BMW Road Maps Europe West PREMIUM 2019-1 (and 2019-2). Used fsc generator with desired/correct map version (and 1b file). I have tried CIC as well as NBT generated codes with no luck. 1b.hex file is of correct size (319B)

I have currently ECE BMW 1.5.20 Road Map Europe PREMIUM 2009-2. I can provide my 1B file.

I am not sure if i missed any previous comment here which could explain why i do not get correct code? Is my car incompatible (BMW320D, e91, 2010).

Will really appreciate any help. thank.
Please can help me, and send map or link map Road Maps Europe West PREMIUM 2019-1 ( i have only Road Maps Europe West PREMIUM 2019-2)
and maybe for this not start upgrade on my Bmw X1 (e84)
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #424
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep

When burning the road map north america premium 2018 1-4 usb_dvd to dvds am I just burning the config file and the folder or am I burning it as an iso?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:54 AM   #425
Balazse84
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E84

Hello!

Does anyone help me to upgrade my map of car?
I have new map, but when I put my usb key to glovebox, I must write to code to upgrade, but I don't know this code.

I don't have FSC code, how can I find this?

ECE
BMW Group
Road Map Europe Motion
2013-2

I would like to install 2018-2 maps europe motion

Prod date: 2013-11-05
BMW X1 e84

Thank You!

Sincerely,
Balazs
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 12:54 AM   #426
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balazse84 View Post
Hello!

Does anyone help me to upgrade my map of car?
I have new map, but when I put my usb key to glovebox, I must write to code to upgrade, but I don't know this code.

I don't have FSC code, how can I find this?

ECE
BMW Group
Road Map Europe Motion
2013-2

I would like to install 2018-2 maps europe motion

Prod date: 2013-11-05
BMW X1 e84

Thank You!

Sincerely,
Balazs
Did you read the first post in the thread? This is all spelled out in detail.

You put a script file on a USB, plug it, and that will cause the unit to generate a hex file with some data in it.
You use this data file in the FSC Generator program to get the FSC code.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:43 AM   #427
Balazse84
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
Did you read the first post in the thread? This is all spelled out in detail.

You put a script file on a USB, plug it, and that will cause the unit to generate a hex file with some data in it.
You use this data file in the FSC Generator program to get the FSC code.
Yes, I tried, but he didn't write a hex file for me. Pendrive in it, but didn't write anything to it. I wrote this because I don't know what's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #428
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Not to seem disingenuous, but this has been answered time and again in this thread.

The SCRIPT ONLY works with CIC systems.

Other tools will work with non CIC head units, but you must download the 1B file via other means.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #429
AirborneMonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Touring F31

I should have read further!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portalseo View Post
As correctly pointed out above by user Opjose pulling the 1b file via usb stick is limited to cars equipped with a CIC unit and since you have an NBT navigation unit you'll have to follow a different approach (that is you want to get your "DE" file as opposed to 1b which is for CIC units only).

Try getting an enet cable (shouldn't cost more than 15 USD on ebay) and install E-sys which is freely available on the internet.

Once installed launch E-sys making sure you're connected to the F20 (not F20_Direct) via your VIN and then in the left hand vertical menu select the option "FSC Extended"

In the Parameter section enter:

1. Diagnostic Address (hex) = 0x63
2. Click on the Identify button and the Base variant HU_NBT will be populated
3. Application ID for NBT= 0xDE
4. Upgrade Index = 0x1

In the Action section

5. Select Store FSC and move from left to the right
6. Click on the Read button
7. Click Save and name the file in the following format XXXXXXX.fsc where XXXXXXX represents the last seven letters/numbers of your VIN (or your donor NBT vin if you have retrofitted the NBT.)
8. Disconnect e-sys from your car.

------------

Now you can use an FSC generator to generate your fsc code and attached below you'll find the latest map version for NBT Europe which is 2018-1 (I'm assuming you're from Europe based on your provided location).
I'm new to the forum as only had my beamer for about a month but already found some truly helpful information. I struggled for ages trying to obtain the 1b file but had I read the thread fully would have realised the above (). Just ordered an adaptor from fleabay and will give it a go once it arrives from China... in September
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 05:23 AM   #430
AirborneMonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Touring F31

Please clarify F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by portalseo View Post
As correctly pointed out above by user Opjose pulling the 1b file via usb stick is limited to cars equipped with a CIC unit and since you have an NBT navigation unit you'll have to follow a different approach (that is you want to get your "DE" file as opposed to 1b which is for CIC units only).

Try getting an enet cable (shouldn't cost more than 15 USD on ebay) and install E-sys which is freely available on the internet.

Once installed launch E-sys making sure you're connected to the F20 (not F20_Direct) via your VIN and then in the left hand vertical menu select the option "FSC Extended"

In the Parameter section enter:

1. Diagnostic Address (hex) = 0x63
2. Click on the Identify button and the Base variant HU_NBT will be populated
3. Application ID for NBT= 0xDE
4. Upgrade Index = 0x1

In the Action section

5. Select Store FSC and move from left to the right
6. Click on the Read button
7. Click Save and name the file in the following format XXXXXXX.fsc where XXXXXXX represents the last seven letters/numbers of your VIN (or your donor NBT vin if you have retrofitted the NBT.)
8. Disconnect e-sys from your car.

------------

Now you can use an FSC generator to generate your fsc code and attached below you'll find the latest map version for NBT Europe which is 2018-1 (I'm assuming you're from Europe based on your provided location).
I am completely new to E-sys which I only downloaded to update the maps so forgive me when I ask, what is meant by connecting to the F20 via the VIN?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:17 PM   #431
don_mayor
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

ppl, help me out, i'm having difficulty pulling the 1b file from my e93lci. i unzipped the content in the 1b zip (which is a 1b.hex and fsc files) onto an empty jumpdrive. i stuck the jumpdrive into the glovebox and when i checked in windows, i don't see a third file ( my car's 1b file)

what i'm i doing wrong.

also can anyone pull the fsc code for my car using the last 7 vin, build date, and map?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:26 PM   #432
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_mayor View Post
i unzipped the content in the 1b zip (which is a 1b.hex and fsc files) onto an empty jumpdrive. i stuck the jumpdrive into the glovebox and when i checked in windows, i don't see a third file ( my car's 1b file)

The downloaded 1b.zip file should contain 2 files: copie_scr.sh and instructions.txt
Make sure you copy the unzipped copie_scr.sh to the root directory of an empty USB.

The script should created 2 new files on the USB: 1b.hex and fsc.bat
If it doesn't create a 1b.hex file, then there may be a problem with your car. What is the version of your current maps? (use iDrive to find out).

Quote:
also can anyone pull the fsc code for my car using the last 7 vin, build date, and map?
There are people who do this for a price (on forums or eBay). Use Search to find them.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #433
don_mayor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoz View Post
The downloaded 1b.zip file should contain 2 files: copie_scr.sh and instructions.txt
Make sure you copy the unzipped copie_scr.sh to the root directory of an empty USB.

The script should created 2 new files on the USB: 1b.hex and fsc.bat
If it doesn't create a 1b.hex file, then there may be a problem with your car. What is the version of your current maps? (use iDrive to find out).

There are people who do this for a price (on forums or eBay). Use Search to find them.
Bro, thank you very very much. the issue i was having was the initial 1b zip file i downloaded didn't have the copie_scr.sh file. i followed your instruction and it was easy peezey.
Appreciate 1
bcoz80.50
      09-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #434
ghuss2482
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
This works GREAT!

I pulled down a 1B file on a friends 5 series with this.

Easy-peasy!
Hi I have tried pulling the 1b file with no success on multiple sticks iv got cic motion navigation on a e90 lci business edition any help would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #435
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuss2482 View Post
Quote:
This works GREAT!

I pulled down a 1B file on a friends 5 series with this.

Easy-peasy!
Hi I have tried pulling the 1b file with no success on multiple sticks iv got cic motion navigation on a e90 lci business edition any help would be greatly appreciated
This is NOT for Motion, Business, Next and other systems.

It only works with updated CIC systems with Premium maps.

You may be able to pull your file via a cable, then use Jaeger's FSC tool on the file.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #436
bellman1
Rep
Drives: 318D

Plugged the USB drive into the socket and nothing happened, have a feeling the Socket is disconnected as the cigarette lighter under the glove box was. how complicated is it to take the glove box out in order to reconnect?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #437
don_mayor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellman1 View Post
Plugged the USB drive into the socket and nothing happened, have a feeling the Socket is disconnected as the cigarette lighter under the glove box was. how complicated is it to take the glove box out in order to reconnect?
check the fuse, my cigarette lighter stopped charging my phone, and it was the fuse. fuse is behind the glove box.

BTW you have to wait a minute or so (about 3mins top), for the update prompt.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #438
ghuss2482
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 318d

Quote:
This is NOT for Motion, Business, Next and other systems.

It only works with updated CIC systems with Premium maps.

You may be able to pull your file via a cable, then use Jaeger's FSC tool on the file.
Thanks for the reply I manged to get the code and start the download butt it stops at 75.9% it's the 2019-1 motion maps and the file is under 8gb. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #439
bellman1
Rep
Drives: 318D

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_mayor View Post
check the fuse, my cigarette lighter stopped charging my phone, and it was the fuse. fuse is behind the glove box.

BTW you have to wait a minute or so (about 3mins top), for the update prompt.
I do not think that is the issue as the light on the USB stick lights up. Plugged it in but is did not pull the b1 info.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #440
don_mayor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellman1 View Post
I do not think that is the issue as the light on the USB stick lights up. Plugged it in but is did not pull the b1 info.
make sure your usbdrive has the correct file: copie._scr.sh. stick in the usb port in the glovebox and watch the usb drive light up, wait 30 seconds and pull the usbdrive out and check for the 1b.hex file.
Appreciate 0