E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF 7in vs 7in HD comparison

08-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #45
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The 7.5 Competition HD has replaced the 7". The weight increase is minimal in comparison to it's predecessor (4 lbs difference) and it can support up to 750whp without breaking a sweat which greatly outperforms any standard 7".
Any idea when your IC's will ship?? I ordered a 5" HD a month ago and they were supposed to be in stock last week. 7" HD was even further out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #46
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
So about 25 lbs? Any additional pressure drop or lag with these?
None reported over here and we've sold a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #47
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
So about 25 lbs? Any additional pressure drop or lag with these?
There is no additional lag or pressure drop. The internal fin pack has been carefully tuned in order to offer the ideal balance between air flow and cooling.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:36 AM   #48
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Im below 400whp (around M4 power on GC lites)

7.5 HD - 61C/140F iat after three laps on track in almost 100F ambient. Then I uninstalled it to fit a larger radiator in front of the AC condenser.

https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/bq-v9-...g=0&data=14-23

7 nonHD - 75C 165F after same amount of laps in same ambient conditions
https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/ningbo...g=0&data=14-23

Custom 7.5 HD with upper stepped part removed (essentially a longer 7HD)
170F after a few laps a different track, also in around 100F ambient.
https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/gic-te...g=0&data=13-21

Few more laps and +220F iat is possible:
https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/gic-en...log=0&data=2-5

So yeah, a taller FMIC is better than a deep FMIC for track use. I will try the ER competition next although it will need some customisation.

None of this matters on the road. Any fmic is good enough for 400whp on the road where you can barely do two successive 3rd pulls safely.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #49
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Im below 400whp (around M4 power on GC lites)

7.5 HD - 61C/140F iat after three laps on track in almost 100F ambient. Then I uninstalled it to fit a larger radiator in front of the AC condenser.

https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/bq-v9-...g=0&data=14-23

7 nonHD - 75C 165F after same amount of laps in same ambient conditions
https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/ningbo...g=0&data=14-23

Custom 7.5 HD with upper stepped part removed (essentially a longer 7HD)
170F after a few laps a different track, also in around 100F ambient.
https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/gic-te...g=0&data=13-21

Few more laps and +220F iat is possible:
https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/gic-en...log=0&data=2-5

So yeah, a taller FMIC is better than a deep FMIC for track use. I will try the ER competition next although it will need some customisation.

None of this matters on the road. Any fmic is good enough for 400whp on the road where you can barely do two successive 3rd pulls safely.
Cool to see some new data presented.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:00 AM   #50
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Just wanted to update with a quick comparison between the 7in nonHD, the 7.5 HD with the top removed (so basically a 7HD) and the ER competition originally made for an M235i. They were all tested on my Z4 35i with the same tune, and in almost the same ambient conditions this summer:

https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/bq-v22...&data=13-14-15

The tuning data in the datazap log are all from the ER pull. I just manually inserted the iat columns from previous logs with the other FMICs

I ran 375mL water injection with the ER FMIC, so power was a bit higher (no timing pulls). Admittedly I should do a log without water injection on the ER, but that hasn't happened yet.

My conclusion when looking at the data is that first of all, 3rd gear pulls are not the best scenarios for evaluating FMIC performance and resistance to heat soak. The problems I have experienced on track with the smaller VRSF intercoolers are not at all showing up on these 3rd gear pulls. Secondly, it does look like the HD intercoolers outperform the nonHDs, and that the taller outperform the deeper. But since the variations are so small, and conditions weren't identical, it is not fair to carve any conclusions in stone here.

I made a quick video showing the old and new FMICs, as well as a major coolant and oil auxiliary cooler overhaul we did here

Last edited by Asbjorn; 09-02-2019 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
Works29.50
      09-03-2019, 04:44 AM   #51
Works
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e B48 + E82 135i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Just wanted to update with a quick comparison between the 7in nonHD
Can you share a bit more details on the snow performance water mist setup that you have there? I track my E82 a bit and am seeing quite high oil, IA and water temps just after 2-3 laps. Without going completely and amazingly nuts as you have with upgrading the oil cooler to a twin radiator, uprating the radiator+adding one more and going for a taller FMIC, I'd like to give external water mist/spray a go.

I'm currently on VRSF 7"HD, stock radiator and oil cooler with stage1 twins. I'd like to test what happens if I install external water nozzles for the oil cooler as well as for the center radiator/ic stack. And if/when that fails for my intended use, go for with larger and/or additional hardware.
      09-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #52
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Works View Post
Can you share a bit more details on the snow performance water mist setup that you have there? I track my E82 a bit and am seeing quite high oil, IA and water temps just after 2-3 laps. Without going completely and amazingly nuts as you have with upgrading the oil cooler to a twin radiator, uprating the radiator+adding one more and going for a taller FMIC, I'd like to give external water mist/spray a go.

I'm currently on VRSF 7"HD, stock radiator and oil cooler with stage1 twins. I'd like to test what happens if I install external water nozzles for the oil cooler as well as for the center radiator/ic stack. And if/when that fails for my intended use, go for with larger and/or additional hardware.
I have a setup with two snow performance systems (so two pumps). One is boost activated and injects water mist inside after the intercooler (375mL nozzle), and the other is manually activated with a cabin switch and sprays outside as shown in the video using a 60mL nozzle. Most of this water mist will hit the radiator and dct cooler and the rest will land on the fmic or get sucked into the intake.

I opted for one 60mL nozzle only as a track session might last for one hour, and that requires a lot of water already with the smallest nozzle.

Now I have yet to verify if it provides any gains in cooling performance on track, and I might not be able to do so until the end of the month.

What I will say already now is that the 7in HD is not suitable for track use. Also remember the S55 radiator combination is 3200cm2 (main + aux), compared to the N54 which is 2100 (w/o aux). The S55 oil cooler is also much bigger compared to the N54.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #53
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Did a quick comparison going from 3rd through 5th with and without water injection. Both logs ended with iats of 115F, but the one with water started at 118F and the one without started at 109F. The logs were done on the same day with half an hour in between.

https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/22b-co...0&data=3-13-21

https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/22b-co...0&data=3-13-21

btw it seems one of my banks goes rich post shifting when using water injection, or at least that is how it looks to me, so going to take this up with my tuner. Car wasn't tuned with water injection anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #54
Works
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e B48 + E82 135i N54

Thanks for the details! I have a charge pipe with a bung on it, so it actually might make sense for me to shroud the FMIC and spray water into the intake tract instead after all.

It's quite eye opening to start to research cooling systems and realize that where there are million+ parts for adding power, putting it down and taking it away, there are not that many manufacturers offering cooling solutions. And none that have turnkey solutions, at least what I've found.

"Luckily" winter is almost here, track season ends and I have good 4-5months to figure this out before next season hits.
      09-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #55
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Works View Post
Thanks for the details! I have a charge pipe with a bung on it, so it actually might make sense for me to shroud the FMIC and spray water into the intake tract instead after all.

It's quite eye opening to start to research cooling systems and realize that where there are million+ parts for adding power, putting it down and taking it away, there are not that many manufacturers offering cooling solutions. And none that have turnkey solutions, at least what I've found.

"Luckily" winter is almost here, track season ends and I have good 4-5months to figure this out before next season hits.
Yes I totally agree. In terms of coolant cooling, which is by far the biggest problem with the N54, there are no kits out there that work for track use yet. If my latest revision is any good on track I would consider doing a kit. I highly doubt it though, as I can see my coolant temp is still increasing a few degrees just doing a 3rd gear pull in 90F ambient.

I have about the same frontal cooler area as the S55 now, but airflow will never be as good with the N54 A2A FMIC as with the A2W FMIC. The way the oil cooler is mounted on the S55/S58 cars also extends the available frontal area in a similar way as you would achieve by having the coolers sitting in a V configuration.

Anyway, I will post my track results at the end of the month.
Appreciate 0