E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > OBD 2 question

09-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
vbgagnon
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

OBD 2 question

In recently had the passenger seatbelt tensioner go bad, and my airbag light came on. So I purchased a Veepeak Bluetooth scanner.

This thing works well, but I can't use the BimmerCode app because my car is an 2006 E90, the app only functions on 2008 and newer. So I'm not having any luck...

If I were to purchase the Carly adaptor and use the Carly app, will I be able to reset the airbag lights?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:13 AM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgagnon View Post
In recently had the passenger seatbelt tensioner go bad, and my airbag light came on. So I purchased a Veepeak Bluetooth scanner.

This thing works well, but I can't use the BimmerCode app because my car is an 2006 E90, the app only functions on 2008 and newer. So I'm not having any luck...

If I were to purchase the Carly adaptor and use the Carly app, will I be able to reset the airbag lights?
Did you replace the tensioner? You can't code out the tensioner with Carly or Bimmercode(not sure if they have expert mode released for E chassis yet). You'd need ncs expert or protool to do this.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
vbgagnon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Did you replace the tensioner? You can't code out the tensioner with Carly or Bimmercode(not sure if they have expert mode released for E chassis yet). You'd need ncs expert or protool to do this.
Thanks for the response!

I did replace the tensioner. If what I'm reading is correct, Protool is an Android only software correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
vbgagnon
Rep

Another question...does the bimmergeeks bt adaptor need to be used? Or will the Veepeak BT adaptor connect through the bimmergeeks app?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

So you just need to read/clear fault codes, right? Try deep obd; it's not very intuitive, but it is free! It should work with your BT adaptor
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you just need to clear codes there's no point in buying a coding tool. Just buy a generic obd adapter and purchase an application from the App Store or android store that'll scan ALL modules, not just dme which majority of scanners only scan.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you just need to clear codes there's no point in buying a coding tool. Just buy a generic obd adapter and purchase an application from the App Store or android store that'll scan ALL modules, not just dme which majority of scanners only scan.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
vbgagnon
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so it seems as though when it comes to electronics I'm pretty much useless! I can turn wrenches all day, but when it comes to this part of it I'm at a loss.

I'm typically an apple guy, but I have an android phone for work so both are an option.

The deep app does not connect with my Veepeak adapter, nor with my generic WiFi one.

I don't have a problem buying what needs to be bought, I just don't want to buy 3 or 4 of everything.

I've tried obdfusion, bimmer geeks, and deep all with no luck!

Can anyone give me some specific combinations that would work to reset my seatbelt and airbag lights?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgagnon View Post
Quote:
Ok, so it seems as though when it comes to electronics I'm pretty much useless! I can turn wrenches all day, but when it comes to this part of it I'm at a loss.

I'm typically an apple guy, but I have an android phone for work so both are an option.

The deep app does not connect with my Veepeak adapter, nor with my generic WiFi one.

I don't have a problem buying what needs to be bought, I just don't want to buy 3 or 4 of everything.

I've tried obdfusion, bimmer geeks, and deep all with no luck!

Can anyone give me some specific combinations that would work to reset my seatbelt and airbag lights?
Try bimmerlink. It's Bimmercodes diagnostic application. I assume it'll work fine since Bimmercode supports the Veepeak adapter
Appreciate 0