E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > intermittently failing water pump?

09-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

intermittently failing water pump?

hey guys, im new to the forums and really hoping someone can help me solve my problem, if im posting in the wrong spot i apologize and feel free to move me.

So i got a 2008 335i coupe about a month ago, it has a rebuilt title for fender bender and 110k miles. As far as i know both water pump and thermostat have been replaced, along with my radiator as it was front end damage that totaled the car.

The first time it overheated it was about 85 degrees out and i was in stop and go traffic for about 15 minutes, about five minutes after i had gotten of the freeway the yellow overheat warning popped up and then directly after the red. I pulled over and let it cool down and had noticed there was coolant that had splashed out around the reservoir. I added distilled water to fill up the next day, and it usually does not leak.

The second time it was colder, about 70 degrees and i had been doing
60mph on some back roads for about 20 minutes with a couple of stops mixed in there. Again the yellow light, followed by the red and then limp mode. Same symptoms with the coolant and i was able to drive away about 15 minutes later.

Third time I had been on the freeway for about 10 minutes and the same happened. I had to pull over on the shoulder and i left my hazards on for about 25 minutes before i tried to start the car again. At this point my battery had died and i had to get a jump, but same symptoms with the coolant again.

So at this point i had topped off with distilled water and BMW coolant three times but i am still having the problem. I have started to use an OBDII app to monitor coolant temps and i was driving normally on some backroads when i noticed coolant temps had randomly spiked over 240, i turned the car off before i got any warnings. And again i was able to start the car 20 minutes later and get home.

I know the pump works because ive done the coolant flush thats implemented in the car and pump sounds healthy, no grinding noise or anything like that. Also ive looked for codes several times and the only codes i find are for my downpipe. So my question is will a new pump fix this problem or is something else causing this? I just want some reassurance before i go out and buy a new pump.

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by Tyc0; 09-29-2019 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: forgot important detail
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If you aren't 100% sure it's got a new water pump and thermostat.....I would replace them first. There is a very good chance that will fix your issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
I suppose you have checked the radiator (it is new or the PO has just replaced it w a used one?) and vent if it runs freely? Replace the battery if it doesn’t last 25mins.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Is your fan coming on?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Is your fan coming on?
yes fan comes on but from what ive heard from other people its EXTREMELY loud when the car over heats and i havent noticed that but maybe its just because i turn the car off as soon as i can? or should it stay on after to cool the engine to normal temps?
Appreciate 0