E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 30FF turbo problem?

12-01-2019, 03:48 AM   #1
ColtonChoi
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335I

30FF turbo problem?

Hello guys.. I am a newbie..just bought an e92 n54 335i about 2 months..and this car drives me crazy enough..

1st day I went deep throttle and got the half engine light when over 3-4k rpm... but the light disappeared when I restarted the car..So I sent it to garage.. the technician told me 30FF code was found.. had checked the vacuum line by smoke.. seems nothing leak.. they suggested me to replace 2 pressure converters.. and I told them to replace the VRSF's charge pipe with bov, cone intake and bigger intercooler..I thought everything is gonna be ok.. but it isn't..

Still find the half engine light when I go deep throttle over3300rpm.. no sound from the bov..no sound from the wastegate.. no white smoke observed from the exhaust..just a bit loud from the exhaust.no acceleration clearly between 50-90km/h.. until over 100... I can feel some power is going up slightly but not fast.. just like an N/A.. I feel there is some power loss.. just feel like I am a 3-legs horse.. the technician told me maybe 1 high boost turbocharger is dead.. highly recommend me to replace the turbos...well you know.. the labour fee will cost a lot.. the money for my stage2+ planning is gone..all gone for the repair fee..and now I am wondering I should have listened to him? Is there the other way to check before the worse case?

Really sad.. I hope you guys can give me some suggestions, thank you.
Attached Images

12-02-2019, 05:16 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

30ff is a Vaccum Leak.
have your Vacuum lines replaces, should cost you no more than 30.
if you do it yourself.

see my diy on the front turbo actuator vacuum line.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440745

Get high temp silicone lines, and do not replace the plastic lines that go over the engine.

just keep in mind, that you car is 10+ years old and plastic will deteriorate and a small leak is enough. smoke test may not be enough.
you have to do a vacuum test.
replace lines is cheaper than a Vacuum test.

I would start there.
good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

replace the boost solinoids and run a lower stage. 99% you are getting throttle closures and the DME is compensating. If you replaced all those parts without MHD that would be pretty weird. If you have MHD please post a log.

When your mechanic tells you to replace the boost solinoids and you tell him to add performance parts............................................. .............
Road to 500hp daily on the way (ya right lol)
--------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
ColtonChoi
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughKnight View Post
replace the boost solinoids and run a lower stage. 99% you are getting throttle closures and the DME is compensating. If you replaced all those parts without MHD that would be pretty weird. If you have MHD please post a log.

When your mechanic tells you to replace the boost solinoids and you tell him to add performance parts............................................. .............
Yeah..he told me it maybe bad boost solenoid.. so I thought the problem will be solved after the replacement.. then I do some upgrade
      12-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
ColtonChoi
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashShah View Post
30ff is a Vaccum Leak.
have your Vacuum lines replaces, should cost you no more than 30.
if you do it yourself.

see my diy on the front turbo actuator vacuum line.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440745

Get high temp silicone lines, and do not replace the plastic lines that go over the engine.

just keep in mind, that you car is 10+ years old and plastic will deteriorate and a small leak is enough. smoke test may not be enough.
you have to do a vacuum test.
replace lines is cheaper than a Vacuum test.

I would start there.
good luck.
Thank you bro.. I will try it 1st.. hope thats not big problem