E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > fuel injector bad¿; help diagnosing

02-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

fuel injector bad¿; help diagnosing

just fixed one problem now onto another.

car sat for 2 weeks and only did a couple 1 mile cold slow drives to and from shop, now i get it back and rough start but once warmed up idle is good. while driving slow and under woot it feels a little jerky and like it is stuttering (fuel?). finally threw some codes yesterday and I googled and saw a likely cyl 1 misfire due to fuel injector in the comments. but it wasn't the normal cyl 1 blown coil code i had gotten before.

well i cleared the codes and drove to work today; no new codes but still experiencing the rough surging feeling while driving slow like the car is hesitating then lurching forward some (fuel?). cold start does not sound normal, sounds similar to a blown coil but a lot less of that. after warmed up the idle is like 98% perfect.

so i call bmw and they confirm my 2011 335is with 37k miles is still under the injector 10 year 120k mile extended part warranty thing. but they want to charge me 200$ to diagnose and check for codes of which presently there are none. i asked them if they had a list of injector related codes i could look for to hopefully pop up and if i got one then i would bring my car to them. they wouldn't give me any codes and said if they determine it is the injectors they will refund the 200$ plus fix/replace the injector(s).

i guess i am hoping the codes pop back up soon so i can bring it into the bmw stealership for proper servicing but if i don't get any more codes is there anything else I can check for to determine if it is injectors or what???

thanks guys!!!

BTW under woot near redline in 4th it made that weird rpm maxed out loud rev limiter sound like it does when i blow a coil, but when i then came to a stop (i expected a blown coil and codes), the car was idling smooth (and no codes or blown coils)… not sure if this was the first time i ever hit full redline in a gear on this car or if it was a symptom related to this fuel issue i am presently having.

I am on cobb stage 2 non aggressive and running Costco 92 octane which occasionally has been known to be not the best fuel, but this is all i can really get out here in HI.
      02-15-2020, 01:22 AM   #2
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

So thankfully now i got a code back, P29CD. can't tell exactly if this is fuel injector related or not.

I found out bmw has an extended repair tcb out for my 2011 335is injectors for 10 years or 120k miles, but when i brought my car in earlier they noticed my cobb thing and said it immediately voided my warranty so for anyone else who is going to take theirs in make sure u flash back to stock and hide your tuner or any other added gauge or electronic module.

I have them doing a a basic diagnostic on it to confirm for me what the issue actually is before i buy 6 index 12's.
      02-16-2020, 04:10 AM   #3
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Cracked spark plug...
      02-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
Cracked spark plug...
Wow sorry to hear man.. This always worries me when I change my plugs. Hopefully you don’t need to pull the head. Best of luck removing it
Appreciate 0