E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD N55 E-Series - general discussion

03-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #8383
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
I chose not go with MHD for the issues that people are having and the disturbing silence from the developers. I did try their logging which had issues and had to go thru CC to receive refund. Anyways good luck.
Can you expand on the issues you've been having?

I have had zero.

I think some of it also comes down to what hardware is being used to do the monitoring. The MHD WiFi adapter is crazy fast, but I use a s5e, so I have never seen any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #8384
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iMike View Post
Hello all. Flashed MHD Stage 2+ a few days ago. Like many users in this tread and elsewhere across the forums, I am having that constant speed stutter / oscillation / dip in power every 5-10 seconds. Feels like a gust of headwind hits the car almost.

The car has no present codes and this same issue occurred on the Stage 1+ map as well.

I've uploaded a log of me in third gear at around 20% throttle where I'm slowly accelerating while getting a bunch of these hesitations (it seemed to be more exaggerated on a slow incline rather than cruising, but is the same feel)

I've also uploaded a WOT log in the same link..

https://datazap.me/u/boosted135/log-...-3-14-15-25-26

Any insight would be great, would like to give MHD/Twisted Tuning a fair shot. If not, it's back to JB4 which currently runs stronger / boosts harder / and is without these issues.
This is the OTS map right?

Several users have reported this complaint.

This evening I'll send you a map to try out. Expect it around 8pm CST or so
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #8385
135iMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 White 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post

Yea OTS from MHD app (Twisted Tuning's I believe?), I see the complaint everywhere - hoping to hear something official about what it is.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #8386
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iMike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post

Yea OTS from MHD app (Twisted Tuning's I believe?), I see the complaint everywhere - hoping to hear something official about what it is.

Thank you!
It's incorrect and mismatched target load vs actual load.

This is often caused by incorrect valvetronic tables
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #8387
TunafishE93
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I had the manual data logging auto stop without my input. Believe MHD knows about issue because their solution worked temporary (delete debugging folder). But the issue still came back after a few logs and would have to delete folder again. Anyway they didn't fight the refund form my card company and took logging away. Which was ok with me because of the reliability issue. Nothing worst to log an event to see that you didn't because the app auto stopped logging. I communicated with MHD for over a couple week period and they never said anything about hardware.

Last edited by TunafishE93; 03-08-2020 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #8388
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
I had the manual data logging auto stop without my input. Believe MHD knows about issue because their solution worked temporary (delete debugging folder). But the issue still came back after a few logs and would have to delete folder again. Anyway they didn't fight the refund form my card company and took logging away. Which was ok with me because of the reliability issue. Nothing worst to log an event to see that you didn't because the app auto stopped logging. I communicated with MHD for over a couple week period and they never said anything about hardware.
WiFi adapter or cable? I have never ever had that issue happen to me with K-DCAN, but with the wireless adapter it occurred.
      03-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #8389
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Ok. I have experienced this, but it was only like a total of 3 times.

FYI, I make about 6-8 logs a day. every day.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #8390
TunafishE93
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Yeah I can get logs that are free that works better, MHD has more data points per second but I am not paying for something that don't work.. Looks like their tunes don't work either.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #8391
pormitsu917
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i (USA model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
False. I've had every setup possible.. JB4+BEF is by far the fastest but the most inconsistent. Some days I'd be pulling 2-3 cars on a F80 M3 and other days it was door to door.
YES!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #8392
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

OTS Map update v1.60

We see and hear your complaints. Update is live....just hiy the play store ans report back. Thanks
Attached Images

03-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #8393
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Gonna be that guy, but the slider for the Coolant Target is visually a little wonky and clunky (not sure I'm able to slide the target, but am able to click left for normal, middle for sport and right for track), otherwise I would assume it's working properly.
Appreciate 1
houtan442.00

03-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #8394
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
Gonna be that guy, but the slider for the Coolant Target is visually a little wonky and clunky (not sure I'm able to slide the target, but am able to click left for normal, middle for sport and right for track), otherwise I would assume it's working properly.
Could be improved by using a a radio button or drop down menu. Sliders with few discrete categories tend to be harder to use.
Appreciate 1
houtan442.00

03-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #8395
cjdzombie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive, M Sport

Not sure if it's just me, but after flashing this new update, my car feels alot more peppy off the line.
      03-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #8396
135iMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 White 135i

Twisted Tuning anjuna MHD Tuning

Thanks for the update Justin/MHD and the additional help Anjuna! Definitely a good step forward - these latest maps are a lot smoother and the constant speed hesitation/stutter is 95% gone, some very slight feelings persist but will drive it a bit more to get a better feel on it.

I have a log from the latest software for your own reference/data and also would love any insight on how my car is running.

Stage 2+ 2600-5500 3rd gear. All stock except flash.

https://datazap.me/u/boosted135/late...og=0&data=4-16
Appreciate 3
      03-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #8397
lisabosken
Rep
Drives: 13' 135i

Hello, could you take a quick look and see how my logs are from a couple of back to back runs today? It is greatly appreciated, thank you!

This is Stage 2+ on 91 ACN (Ambient temp was about 70degF)

https://datazap.me/u/lisabosken/mhd-...og=0&data=4-19

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #8398
rmap3k4mhdac6
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabosken View Post
Hello, could you take a quick look and see how my logs are from a couple of back to back runs today? It is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Looks pretty good to me.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #8399
lisabosken
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmap3k4mhdac6 View Post
Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/lisabosken/mhd-...&data=4-19

https://datazap.me/u/lisabosken/mhd-...&data=4-19
Looks pretty good to me.
Thanks! How about the 3-5* timing correction on Cyl5 and the huge discrepancy in boost target vs actual boost?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #8400
Keyless77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i e88 2011,DCT,Wagner IC

Quote:
I chose not go with MHD for the issues that people are having and the disturbing silence from the developers. I did try their logging which had issues and had to go thru CC to receive refund. Anyways good luck.

Every product has some issues, people experiencing issues are understably louder than the majority.

The product owner need to put effort to resolve reported issues, and communicate it to customers, and this is somewhat luckinq for a while.

It's somewhat conflict of interest, if you can convince people that OTS map doesn't fit, many will decide to go for custom tune.

In my case , I have never heard any major issues since n55 mhd started, I use S1+ which I think is best for daily driver + fun , and have made nearly 50k km .

For the issue with head-wind feeling, not sure how it's related , but trying the lineal throttle setting,, mine is disabled, helped
The feeling comes right after flush , same with rough DTC gear changes, and normally goes away within days.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #8401
rmap3k4mhdac6
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Thanks! How about the 3-5* timing correction on Cyl5 and the huge discrepancy in boost target vs actual boost?

The timing corrections aren't that bad. From what I understand if you consistently have corrections on 3 cylinders or more 3 degrees or more, then it's a worry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, on my 135i cylinder 5 is the noisiest one.

I'm guessing a minor boost leak on the actual vs expected boost, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately the only wgdc reading we get doesnt give us the final wgdc, so it is hard to know what is really going on with boost control. My car only logs wgdc% as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #8402
lisabosken
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmap3k4mhdac6 View Post
Quote:

The timing corrections aren't that bad. From what I understand if you consistently have corrections on 3 cylinders or more 3 degrees or more, then it's a worry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, on my 135i cylinder 5 is the noisiest one.

I'm guessing a minor boost leak on the actual vs expected boost, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately the only wgdc reading we get doesnt give us the final wgdc, so it is hard to know what is really going on with boost control. My car only logs wgdc% as well.
Thanks for the input man, I've been doing some searching and reading the past few days and I've read that our stock turbos really can't hold boost up top.

One of the posts was from Justin Twisted Tuning stating that the target boost is set higher because some cars are just able to hold boost up top better than others. In his words "some cars are just healthier" and can sometimes hold boost of up to 15-16psi past 5200RPM. It doesn't hinder anything vs if he lowers the target boost, then he would be hindering the "healthier" cars' ability.

I'm able to hit target boost (peak 15-16psi) in the mid range up until it starts to taper down in the higher RPMs. I feel that if I have a boost leak that I wouldn't even hit that peak boost to begin with (please correct me if I'm wrong) and the WGDC seems to be at normal values (40-50+) through out the pull. No throttle closures or major timing corrections that would be concerning.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #8403
J-Blizz
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport w/ PPK

Hey everyone! I've been reading these forums for a couple of years now but this is my first time posting. This community has helped me immensely on countless occasions!

Recently got an 2011 M-Sport 335 w/ ~70k miles and an impeccable service record, doing my absolute best to keep it that way. No record of water-pump being done so I'm debating on getting that taken cared of as preventative maintenance. Thoughts?

I replaced the belt/tensioner, plugs, and coils thus far along with an oil change of course. VRSF Catless downpipes and a charge pipe are on their way. Just as some background info: I want my car to be extremely reliable since it is my daily.

I was wondering what kind of hp/torque and reliability I can expect fromthe Stage 1 tune w/ downpipes + chargepipe and how that would compare to the PPK Stage 2 that is currently on it. Also, just want to confirm that I'll be able to go back to the PPK Stage 2 if needed.

Kind of scared to go to the Stage 2 tune because I've read a little about rod bearings suddenly giving randomly in the 2011 N55's. I could just be extra extra paranoid (I think that is the case) but obviously that is far from desirable.

Any help/logs would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #8404
maddmatth
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Blizz View Post
Kind of scared to go to the Stage 2 tune because I've read a little about rod bearings suddenly giving randomly in the 2011 N55's. I could just be extra extra paranoid (I think that is the case) but obviously that is far from desirable.
I don't think the tune is the issue. These engines aren't race engines, and some of us take them on the track where high g-forces can prevent the engine from pumping oil effectively.
Poor maintenance by past owners, running low on oil, revving while cold... all eventually can lead to this.

Had mine die on the track a few months ago, may have been a bit worn over the years from a combination of the above and finished off with hard cornering on the track.
I had been running it tuned for about 4-5 years prior, with the last 2 or so on S2+.

Awesome street cars but IMO you need an oiling upgrade for the track, or to buy a more suitable car like an M car or a Porsche...

Still in the process of getting a new engine installed...
Appreciate 0