E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bought a 2008 335i with frame rail damage

05-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #45
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335i

Update ! So today I got a strut-shock tower from a 135i. It will get installed today or tomorrow hopefully!
Attached Images

05-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #46
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The original shock- strut tower was split in half in the collision. I believe that it took most of the damage
Attached Images

05-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #47
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

So you are rebuilding it with used parts??

Seems like a waste of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #48
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Seems about right...
      05-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #49
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
So you are rebuilding it with used parts??

Seems like a waste of time and money.
I just want it run for right now. Trust me I will be putting newer parts on it. But for right now I need to get it moving on it own power geez.
      05-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #50
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightgodn54 View Post
I just want it run for right now. Trust me I will be putting newer parts on it. But for right now I need to get it moving on it own power geez.
Nothing wrong with that. These cars are old now. Rebuilding with new parts might be bigger waste of money and time as you will never get return.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #51
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

So, I read through a lot of the comments and one question I still have yet to see is, did you buy this for fun? And what I mean by that is did you buy it to have fun rebuilding it, and/or to see if you could do it? I can see why you would've done it for that case, but if you bought it to be a long term/DD/"I need this car for my daily life." car, then hmmm. Good luck?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #52
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
So, I read through a lot of the comments and one question I still have yet to see is, did you buy this for fun? And what I mean by that is did you buy it to have fun rebuilding it, and/or to see if you could do it? I can see why you would've done it for that case, but if you bought it to be a long term/DD/"I need this car for my daily life." car, then hmmm. Good luck?
The purpose is to get it to runs and drive for now at least. I want this to be a fun project down the road but for now it's got to get rough !
      05-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #53
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
So many haters in here...it’s probably not something I would’ve taken on but if you can afford it and you’ve got the time and patience for it then good luck!!!
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      05-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #54
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
So many haters in here...it’s probably not something I would’ve taken on but if you can afford it and you’ve got the time and patience for it then good luck!!!
Yes omg they're all just pissy 🙄🙄😂 it's sad honestly
      05-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #55
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
The purpose is to get it to runs and drive for now at least. I want this to be a fun project down the road but for now it's got to get rough !
Like I said, good luck. Really wish the best and as always we are all here to not only give needless comments, but also possibly give advice. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #56
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Yes omg they're all just pissy ������ it's sad honestly
Not fair to say that. You asked for people’s opinions. I think everyone was just trying to save you the hassle and money. Some of the guys commenting have done lots of work on their cars and know what’s involved.

Good luck with your project. Keep us updated with lots of pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #57
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
Yes omg they're all just pissy ������ it's sad honestly
Not fair to say that. You asked for people's opinions. I think everyone was just trying to save you the hassle and money. Some of the guys commenting have done lots of work on their cars and know what's involved.

Good luck with your project. Keep us updated with lots of pics.
Not being pissy we're telling you how it is. Most guys on here are about the bottom line and want to see people do good on their purchases.

If you want the accolades put in on Facebook.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2020, 06:13 AM   #58
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

Since when is owning ANY BMW been a wise financial decision? Damn the keyboard downers, follow your passion and so what if it costs you a penny, you will enjoy the hobby and learn a lot along the way. By the way a red E92 is pretty rare, is it a manual?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #59
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

It's going to be a project for sure. I think you way overpaid for a crashed car with that much damage and a salvaged title.....like others have said, IF you get it back to decent road ready condition....it's going to cost you a lot of money.

But....it's your time and money. Have fun.....keep posting pics as you work on it.

You asked for people's opinions....so don't get upset when they give them.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17285.00
alpnwss31.50
      05-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #60
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Keep it up OP. Waiting to see the final project.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #61
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update #2 !

So today I started to diagnose the problem on my why the car wouldn't even turn on at all when at the auction it did. Turns out something had exploded or leaked in the battery compartment. It looks like rust and corrosion. So I took the battery out going to get one from the stealer-ship next week. Both positive terminals were done. I know both + terminals have are different one is for the accessories and one goes to the starter. So I be on the hunt for both terminals this week. - terminal is rusted out too but that one is being a total b*tch to get off.
Attached Images

05-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #62
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update #3 so I took the tire off also on the front passenger. To get a better look at the damage from the under side and saw that I had another issue. I think it's called the sway bar link ? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure what it is called ?
But that part snapped along with the story-shock tower. Going back to the place where I got the 135 shock strut tower to see if he has that part also. So far so good !
Attached Images

05-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #63
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Update #2 !

So today I started to diagnose the problem on my why the car wouldn't even turn on at all when at the auction it did. Turns out something had exploded or leaked in the battery compartment. It looks like rust and corrosion. So I took the battery out going to get one from the stealer-ship next week. Both positive terminals were done. I know both + terminals have are different one is for the accessories and one goes to the starter. So I be on the hunt for both terminals this week. - terminal is rusted out too but that one is being a total b*tch to get off.
Might be worth wile checking the grounding straps on the under side below the starter.

Have you tried boosting the car?
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #64
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
Update #2 !

Might be worth wile checking the grounding straps on the under side below the starter.

Have you tried boosting the car?
Yes I did twice. Unfortunately that didn't work. I think the corrosion really did it in unfortunately
      05-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #65
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

have you taken the car to an actual bodyshop to do a proper assessment of the frame damage , I believe these cars have a unibody design so the structure of the car is the body itself.

The impact was hard enough to break / bent that rail and destroy some suspension components . At the very least you should have a pro put the car on the lift and do a proper check , they may even have to check the alignment. Not sure a visual check may be enough...
You are not going to be able to fix structure yourself , and a pro doing it could potentially cost a few thousands.

Last thing you want is spend a few months on these project just to find out the frame is bad and major work has to be done .

Its not just about going to a bodyshop and ask them to do some rewelding for the rail . I m sure they ll take your money . You need a pro to do a proper check

Im all up for projects like this , althought I think you paid too much for the car but it is what it is. Its going to be a long journey to get the right parts for the right price and do all the work yourself. Better to spend a few 100 dollars making sure the body just needs a rail . Thats not something you can do yourself, you need a pro with the experience and proper tools to diagnose

Last edited by rick100; 05-26-2020 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #66
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
have you taken the car to an actual bodyshop to do a proper assessment of the frame damage , I believe these car a unibody design so the structure of the car is the body itself.

The impact was hard enough to break / bent that rail and destroy some suspension components . At the very least you should have a pro put the car on the lift and do a proper check , they may even have to check the alignment. Not sure a visual check may be enough...
You are not going to be able to fix structure yourself , and a pro doing it could potentially cost a few thousands.

Last thing you want is spend a few months on these project just to find out the frame is bad and major work has to be done .

Its not just about going to a bodyshop and ask them to do some rewelding for the rail . I m sure they ll take your money . You need a pro to do a proper check

Im all up for projects like this , althought I think you paid too much for the car but it is what it is. Its going to be a longer journey to get the right parts for the right price and do all the work yourself. Better to spend a few 100 dollars making sure the body just needs a rail . Thats not something you can do yourself, you need a pro with the experience and proper tools to diagnose
Yes I am taking it to a body shop this week. I had someone from the body shop look at the damage, they said there is 2 ways I can deal w this damage. Either I can just a new frame rail from another car and have them weld it in, or they can just pull the frame rail. I chose pulling the frame rail as a better option price wise because it's 300 to pull the frame rail and he said he would deal with smaller bends as part of the job. Yes this car is bad but I think it could be worse. This isn't my first project bmw car I had so I'm not that scared or pessimistic about these issue like other people and that's ok also !