E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sockets 335i build

05-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #4599
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Do those electronic waste gate actuators hold up well to high heat?
Good question Wolf

Apparently heat is a problem if running as a daily (something to do with the motor insulation) so the unit comes with ports to hook up a water cooling loop

Don't think we will have a problem with heat, because we wont be using it as a external wg connected to a hot dump pipe.

We are going to use it as wg actuator bolted onto the turbo housing, away from all the heat, so should be significantly cooler

Guess we wont know for sure until get to play with it
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 03:05 AM   #4600
Baker e92gc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Thanks so much for the in depth reply! This is exactly what I was looking for.
To answer some of your questions, I was looking for a car with two major points.

1. Something that feels good to drive. (after coming from a beat up e46) where i fell in love with BMW.
2. Something with good mod potential.

I have a little car knowledge but not much more than a lump of cheese, but I am good at fixing and making things and want to learn as I go. I will be doing as much of the work as I can, it helps that the n54 community is so vast.

I was only looking around for options when I saw the 335i for sale. It looked clean, it was black, it was a coupe, it was manual and unbelievably it was stock. It ticked a lot of boxes.
So I enquired.
When we met up and I saw the car I cannot tell you how impressed I was. The guy had complete service records from when his dad bought it with 170km on the clock. (He purchased the car from his dad at 17k kms) All serviced at BMW exclusively with receipts.
It has been garaged its whole life. I got the car at 110k kms.

I can't say enough about the guy who sold to to me, on the way down to meet up he took the car to BMW to do a last service before the sale... He spent $4k on the car at the service. Not problems, the guys at BMW said around this mark (100k kms) It could use a few maintenance things done! He got so much done just to sell the car in good condition. Head cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, replaced a chipped tail light! and a lot more. The engine bay is immaculate, the Interior (Beige with piano black trim) has only slight wear where you would expect, and a few rock chips on the front.

I am a very happy 335i owner to say the least. I have had the car since January. I wanted to drive it for a little just to get to know the car before any changes. Even stock I love the thing. I will get a pic up soon. Thanks.

Now it is time to do some work on the car, slowly. I am certain as I go through this my goals will change, but for now I just want a bit more power while keeping the engine safe.
I have a lot to learn but even reading through the last post I have a good guideline to start, thanks so much for that.

I will Black out a fair amount of the car as I like the look, but safe power is the goal.
Also thanks for the rubber recommendation, that will be a must.
I will be sticking around.

Thanks for the early help. Really.

Last edited by Baker e92gc; 05-14-2020 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
Nugget649.50
      05-14-2020, 04:36 AM   #4601
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92gc View Post
Thanks so much for the in depth reply! This is exactly what I was looking for.
To answer some of your questions, I was looking for a car with two major points.

1. Something that feels good to drive. (after coming from a beat up e46) where i fell in love with BMW.
2. Something with good mod potential.

I have a little car knowledge but not much more than a lump of cheese, but I am good at fixing and making things and want to learn as I go. I will be doing as much of the work as I can, it helps that the n54 community is so vast.

I was only looking around for options when I saw the 335i for sale. It looked clean, it was black, it was a coupe, it was manual and unbelievably it was stock. It ticked a lot of boxes.
So I enquired.
When we met up and I saw the car I cannot tell you how impressed I was. The guy had complete service records from when his dad bought it with 170km on the clock. (He purchased the car from his dad at 17k kms) All serviced at BMW exclusively with receipts.
It has been garaged its whole life. I got the car at 110k kms.

I can't say enough about the guy who sold to to me, on the way down to meet up he took the car to BMW to do a last service before the sale... He spent $4k on the car at the service. Not problems, the guys at BMW said around this mark (100k kms) It could use a few maintenance things done! He got so much done just to sell the car in good condition. Head cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, replaced a chipped tail light! and a lot more. The engine bay is immaculate, the Interior (Beige with piano black trim) has only slight wear where you would expect, and a few rock chips on the front.

I am a very happy 335i owner to say the least. I have had the car since January. I wanted to drive it for a little just to get to know the car before any changes. Even stock I love the thing. I will get a pic up soon. Thanks.

Now it is time to do some work on the car, slowly. I am certain as I go through this my goals will change, but for now I just want a bit more power while keeping the engine safe.
I have a lot to learn but even reading through the last post I have a good guideline to start, thanks so much for that.

I will Black out a fair amount of the car as I like the look, but safe power is the goal.
Also thanks for the rubber recommendation, that will be a must.
I will be sticking around.

Thanks for the early help. Really.
Sounds like a great find E You are more then welcome.
Good luck with the modding adventures ahead. Looking forward to following your build. Dont forget to post up some pics
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #4602
Baker e92gc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, being so new to this whole forum thing, I have no idea what I am doing, so sorry if the pics don't upload or the size is wrong. I will try to figure out how to do this in the future.

But if the image is there... then this is her. Bone stock except for the new grill. I will be painting the mesh and getting some white globes for the angel eyes next. Then on to all the advised maintenance, then onto a little power.

I have read a lot on here now and am amazed at all the in depth help. It will take me a while but I will get there.

I will start my own thread at some point. Thanks again for the beginners help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Baker e92gc; 05-18-2020 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
Socket4542.00
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #4603
Baker e92gc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry, I don't know how to resize the image!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:18 AM   #4604
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry, I don't know how to resize the image!
Great looking car E
Will be a perfect platform to mod
Feel free to reach out if you need any help

Resize photos before uploading to E90 post

Resize by right clicking photo, click on edit and then click resize (top right)
Click the pixel radio button and type in 800 in the horizontal width
Click save and upload

I find 800 x 600 is a good size for the forum
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:50 AM   #4605
Baker e92gc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Great looking car E
Will be a perfect platform to mod
Feel free to reach out if you need any help

Resize photos before uploading to E90 post

Resize by right clicking photo, click on edit and then click resize (top right)
Click the pixel radio button and type in 800 in the horizontal width
Click save and upload

I find 800 x 600 is a good size for the forum
Ah there we go! Thanks, I edited the previous post so it didn't take up 48 computer screens.

Going to get a walnut blast done soon, I have found one place on the gold coast that does it. (Marsanic motorsport, I think they work with the platform quite a lot.) $545. Is this excessive? or around the mark for someone to do it for you? I don't mind paying as long as I am not getting shafted.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:56 AM   #4606
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah there we go! Thanks, I edited the previous post so it didn't take up 48 computer screens.

Going to get a walnut blast done soon, I have found one place on the gold coast that does it. (Marsanic motorsport, I think they work with the platform quite a lot.) $545. Is this excessive? or around the mark for someone to do it for you? I don't mind paying as long as I am not getting shafted.

Thanks again.
looks much better lol

Sounds like a fair price, Only need to get it done once every few years, so you should be good for a while
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #4607
Baker e92gc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
looks much better lol

Sounds like a fair price, Only need to get it done once every few years, so you should be good for a while
Thanks Socket,

I will book her in to get it done. Then onto plug and coil replacements. Is it ok to run upgraded plugs on the stock tune? I am going to get a tune once I have upgraded the FMIC and DP's.

I also notice you changed from the Dual Cones to a box filter.... I was going to go DCI filters but if it better to go straight to a newer box then I will do that.

Think I will start a thread of the build too.... Might be a bit slow, but I'll give it a go.

E
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:07 AM   #4608
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker e92gc View Post
Thanks Socket,

I will book her in to get it done. Then onto plug and coil replacements. Is it ok to run upgraded plugs on the stock tune? I am going to get a tune once I have upgraded the FMIC and DP's.

I also notice you changed from the Dual Cones to a box filter.... I was going to go DCI filters but if it better to go straight to a newer box then I will do that.

Think I will start a thread of the build too.... Might be a bit slow, but I'll give it a go.

E
Id wait until you do the tune before putting in upgraded (colder or close gapped) plugs. All the cool kids run NGK 97968 spark plugs in their tuned N54. They are expensive but the best plug to run tbh.

The discussion re airboxes and impact on performance is a long running debate. I personally have not seen any performance differences running the different set ups Ive had, which include dual cone intakes, stock airbox, dinan close airbox etc. the dual cones create a bit more engine sound over the closed airbox if you are looking for that kind of thing. Tbh the stock air box is perfectly fine (and preferred by many) so you dont actually need to spend money on upgrading it. Although a set of DCIs are very cheap if you want to go that way. I would not bother spending money on another closed box, they do the same thing as the stock airbox. Just look a bit fancier. By all means spend money on an airbox for bling, but it wont deliver a performance upgrade despite all the marketing claims. Like I said this has been a long running debate. Hope this helps

Welcome again to the platform, looking forward to seeing where you go with ur build
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:20 AM   #4609
Baker e92gc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Socket, I will get the blast done, then collect parts for a while Then I will throw it all in (carefully) and do a MHD flash to suit and see what happens. Obviously there will be a lot of questions along the way. Thanks again, already a massive help.

Also I'll keep the filter box as it is and get a K+N high flow. So much good info here.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #4610
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Mod 124 - RGB Demon Eyes

Regular readers will know that spcgry has been through a few headlight mods, the most recent being a bavgruppe 3/4 RGBW with amber turn signals.
I did the work myself including rewiring the internals to replace all the heat damaged wiring to avoid electrical shorts that occur in older headlights, where the cracked wiring cross over the short out the control module etc

Anyway during the rewiring process, I must have stuffed something up because the drivers side headlight kept throwing an adaptive headlight error on the dash.

Finally got around to sending these off the Nate at Luminance Autowerke's. Nate a great job swapping the internals over to another set of headlights, I had and installing a set of RGB demon eyes

Amazing job. Def the guy to see for headlight upgrades. Thanks bro!!!!

Pics below:

Pics 1 & 2 - New demon eyes
Pic 3 - Front end stripped down
Pic 4 - Headlights back from Luminance Autowerkes
Pic 5 - Reinstalling headlights
Pic 6 - AEs working (check)
Pic 7 - DEs working (check)
Pic 8 - Headlights in
Pic 9 - Job done
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 05-23-2020 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
AUSf222689.50
      05-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #4611
Baker e92gc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Holy moly! that looks mean Socket.

I imagine even better at night. Here I am looking at a bulb to change my brown angel eyes..... Great looking car mate.
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      05-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #4612
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker e92gc View Post
Holy moly! that looks mean Socket.

I imagine even better at night. Here I am looking at a bulb to change my brown angel eyes..... Great looking car mate.
Thanks Bakes
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #4613
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Mod 125 - Brodit Phone Holder

Technically not a mod, but is a minor addition to the car, so adding it in here for the sake of completion

Vince, Shane and Joe put me onto this product

Basically a bracket that clips into the trim above the head unit to provide a solid base to attach various holders

The Ex series base is part No 653595 (see pic below)
Will need this, regardless of what phone holder you end up getting

The phone holder has a swivel, which basically you screw onto the base plate to attach it. For my S9 the part No is 711038

If you want to use the base with more then one holder, you need the quick release backing plate (multimoveclip) which is part No 215503

I have a HD BT digital audio player and found a holder that works with the unit. The player just slides into the holder slot and is rock solid.

Pics below

Pics 1 & 2 - E9X base plate
Pic 3 - Base plate and holders
Pic 4- If use need to swap out holders, you need the multimoveclip
Pic 5 - MMC attached to base plate
Pic 6 - Holder slides and clicks to lock, Press button and slide up to release
Pics 7 to 9 - Mounted in car
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 05-23-2020 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #4614
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Posted guide to this build thread

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1723648
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #4615
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Good question Wolf

Apparently heat is a problem if running as a daily (something to do with the motor insulation) so the unit comes with ports to hook up a water cooling loop

Don't think we will have a problem with heat, because we wont be using it as a external wg connected to a hot dump pipe.

We are going to use it as wg actuator bolted onto the turbo housing, away from all the heat, so should be significantly cooler

Guess we wont know for sure until get to play with it
Sockets, any updates on the electronic waste gate job?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #4616
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Great job with the lights Socket!

Now you are going to have very similar headlights to my M2C
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:35 AM   #4617
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Sockets, any updates on the electronic waste gate job?
No sorry Wolf

Apparently despite launching the range at Sema last Nov and announcing they would be available in early 2020, the eWG40 don't appear to have shipped yet. In fact the turbosmart website lists the status as "preorders" One guy at Turbosmart said they would be available in November and another said they had not set a launch date yet, so who knows...

That of course has not stopped every performance store on the web, putting them up for sale and taking money from customers

The sales manager at turbosmart told my vendor that he would fast track a unit and get one in 4 weeks, so might get lucky and have one soon ...... but I highly doubt it

Will keep you posted mate
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-27-2020, 02:39 AM   #4618
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Great job with the lights Socket!

Now you are going to have very similar headlights to my M2C

Thanks Aus
Wish my car was more like urs
Just love your M2C mate

Last edited by Socket; 05-27-2020 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #4619
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i DCT FBO

Thanks sockey! look amazing on the car. cant wait for more photos

Quote:
Mod 124 - RGB Demon Eyes

Regular readers will know that spcgry has been through a few headlight mods, the most recent being a bavgruppe 3/4 RGBW with amber turn signals.
I did the work myself including rewiring the internals to replace all the heat damaged wiring to avoid electrical shorts that occur in older headlights, where the cracked wiring cross over the short out the control module etc

Anyway during the rewiring process, I must have stuffed something up because the drivers side headlight kept throwing an adaptive headlight error on the dash.

Finally got around to sending these off the Nate at Luminance Autowerke's. Nate a great job swapping the internals over to another set of headlights, I had and installing a set of RGB demon eyes

Amazing job. Def the guy to see for headlight upgrades. Thanks bro!!!!

Pics below:

Pics 1 & 2 - New demon eyes
Pic 3 - Front end stripped down
Pic 4 - Headlights back from Luminance Autowerkes
Pic 5 - Reinstalling headlights
Pic 6 - AEs working (check)
Pic 7 - DEs working (check)
Pic 8 - Headlights in
Pic 9 - Job done
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #4620
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Is it worth looking at an electronic wastgate actuator from a newer BMW instead?
Appreciate 0