E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #12849
E92William
Major
E92William's Avatar
766
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I went to this junkyard they have many N52s unknown shape in a pile that's basically all gonna go to the trash. I might get one for 100 or so so I can learn with it and maybe even build a high compression one as I've wanted for a while. Obviously not the one without the head as that one is pretty rough.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 2
Snail4.50
donut_boi702.50

      08-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #12850
Snail
New Member
Snail's Avatar
5
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW e93 328i
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I did a few things. I changed the cornering lamp bulbs and halo bulb (H8 and H3 respectively) and found the rot inside the wiring harness. Turns out ECStuning sells these headlight wiring harnesses for $108.66 . I consulted a friend about re-wiring it and his suggestion was just use electrical tape or liquid electrical tape. So I slapped some liquid electrical tape using a fine painting brush.

I decided to replace the driver-side cupholder since the spring inside broke and took some of the plastic it latched to with it. I also wrapped the cupholder trim panel with matte black vinyl and it looks really nice in person, the camera picks up the imperfections I fail to notice sitting in the seat.

The Salmon red relays, transmission splash shield, and trunk light arrived so I did those too. I was hoping the salmon relays would fix the issue i'm having in this post. It did not. Unfortunately the hardware for the splash shield was oversized although it was described by the eBay seller to be a direct replacement for the originals it was not. Since I had to make new mounting holes and with the retaining clips sized for the new screws I installed the anyways since they can be replaced with the originals should I get too crazy about it. I now have both 8mm and 10mm screws to deal with when flushing the transmission and replacing the filter.

Next I plan on re-upholstering the steering wheel, wrapping the steering weel trim and the shifter panel with matte black vinyl.

I'm also looking for a way to fix the rip in the passenger panel if anyone has any ideas. The weather strip should also be replaced althoug no water seems to make it through.

All cosmetic stuff till I read a little more about replacing that ATF properly. Also, this is the GA6L45R transmission right? FCPEuro has like 3 different kits. I wonder if cheaping out with Red Line or with Liqui-Moly would be better than buying BMW original. Any thoughts friends?
Attached Images
   

Last edited by Snail; 08-22-2020 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Oh, and replaced the plastic jack points!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #12851
Hoody007
Private First Class
United_States
30
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 335i LCI, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dunwoody, GA & Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I did a few things. I changed the cornering lamp bulbs and halo bulb (H8 and H3 respectively) and found the rot inside the wiring harness. Turns out ECStuning sells these headlight wiring harnesses for $108.66 . I consulted a friend about re-wiring it and his suggestion was just use electrical tape or liquid electrical tape. So I slapped some liquid electrical tape using a fine painting brush.

I decided to replace the driver-side cupholder since the spring inside broke and took some of the plastic it latched to with it. I also wrapped the cupholder trim panel with matte black vinyl and it looks really nice in person, the camera picks up the imperfections I fail to notice sitting in the seat.

The Salmon red relays, transmission splash shield, and trunk light arrived so I did those too. I was hoping the salmon relays would fix the issue i'm having in this post. It did not. Unfortunately the hardware for the splash shield was oversized although it was described by the eBay seller to be a direct replacement for the originals it was not. Since I had to make new mounting holes and with the retaining clips sized for the new screws I installed the anyways since they can be replaced with the originals should I get too crazy about it. I now have both 8mm and 10mm screws to deal with when flushing the transmission and replacing the filter.

Next I plan on re-upholstering the steering wheel, wrapping the steering weel trim and the shifter panel with matte black vinyl.

I'm also looking for a way to fix the rip in the passenger panel if anyone has any ideas. The weather strip should also be replaced althoug no water seems to make it through.

All cosmetic stuff till I read a little more about replacing that ATF properly. Also, this is the GA6L45R transmission right? FCPEuro has like 3 different kits. I wonder if cheaping out with Red Line or with Liqui-Moly would be better than buying BMW original. Any thoughts friends?

For the steering wheel, you might try this product: https://www.colourlock.com/colourloc...wheel-kit.html

Iím ordering it for my own car (although my steering wheel isnít quite as bad), and Iíve heard some really great things about it.
Appreciate 1
Snail4.50

      08-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #12852
bmv335ie90
Private
60
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Installed some aluminum pedal covers and an e-brake handle. Now I just need to get rid of this base stereo so I can justify putting on the silver Individual Audio speaker covers.

Appreciate 1
King Rudi8739.50

      08-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #12853
Ozzie335i
Major
United_States
489
Rep
1,329
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DFW

iTrader: (1)

Where'd you get those bmv? They look nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #12854
bmv335ie90
Private
60
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Where'd you get those bmv? They look nice.
Pedals are Dinan, e-brake is 3D Design
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #12855
Snail
New Member
Snail's Avatar
5
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW e93 328i
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
For the steering wheel, you might try this product: https://www.colourlock.com/colourloc...wheel-kit.html

Iím ordering it for my own car (although my steering wheel isnít quite as bad), and Iíve heard some really great things about it.
Thanks for the tip, Hoody007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmv335ie90 View Post
Installed some aluminum pedal covers and an e-brake handle. Now I just need to get rid of this base stereo so I can justify putting on the silver Individual Audio speaker covers.
Nice, fits the asthetic of the interior properly, the speakers should look real nice too.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #12856
E92William
Major
E92William's Avatar
766
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Tested out a motor I opened and cleaned the commutator, brushes and redid some solder joints on and it actuates faster than normal disas that are just cleaned with alcohol from the outside and sprayed through with electronic cleaner. Very time consuming to open them though I'll have to test one in my car.

Opened


Cleaned
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #12857
wrongmark
Private First Class
United Kingdom
54
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Replaced the rear shocks (one was leaking) and all of the mounting bits and pieces. The Sachs rubber mountings had ďBMWĒ scratched off and weíre a fraction of the dealer price. Easy job and feels a lot tighter in the rear end (ah hem).

Also did a few fixes on my dadís Q7 but you arenít bothered about that (the VAG equivalent of RealOEM is an absolute nightmare to navigate btw).
Appreciate 1
tlow981490.00

      08-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #12858
colorado.e9x
Entrepreneur
colorado.e9x's Avatar
United_States
678
Rep
1,665
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Noticed I was a tiny bit low on oil after I just finished an oil change last week. Went to investigate the CCV hoses and discovered my small DISA casing has already cracked through both the plastic melted via formic acid and the extra layer of JB plastic bonder I filled the gap with. I'll reapply some plastic bonder in the open crack and hopefully that'll be enough.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #12859
Donethat
Private
Donethat's Avatar
146
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 2010 328 m-sport e92
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: 305

iTrader: (2)

This week Did 3 stage intake and Bimmerlabs tune. Just have to figure to keep the maf less tune or go to the 330 tune, or even possibly an AA tune in the future.
__________________
Looking to buy Performance Exhaust e92-n52
IG. e92awchris
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #12860
tlow98
Brigadier General
1490
Rep
3,911
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I did a few things. I changed the cornering lamp bulbs and halo bulb (H8 and H3 respectively) and found the rot inside the wiring harness. Turns out ECStuning sells these headlight wiring harnesses for $108.66 . I consulted a friend about re-wiring it and his suggestion was just use electrical tape or liquid electrical tape. So I slapped some liquid electrical tape using a fine painting brush.

I decided to replace the driver-side cupholder since the spring inside broke and took some of the plastic it latched to with it. I also wrapped the cupholder trim panel with matte black vinyl and it looks really nice in person, the camera picks up the imperfections I fail to notice sitting in the seat.

The Salmon red relays, transmission splash shield, and trunk light arrived so I did those too. I was hoping the salmon relays would fix the issue i'm having in this post. It did not. Unfortunately the hardware for the splash shield was oversized although it was described by the eBay seller to be a direct replacement for the originals it was not. Since I had to make new mounting holes and with the retaining clips sized for the new screws I installed the anyways since they can be replaced with the originals should I get too crazy about it. I now have both 8mm and 10mm screws to deal with when flushing the transmission and replacing the filter.

Next I plan on re-upholstering the steering wheel, wrapping the steering weel trim and the shifter panel with matte black vinyl.

I'm also looking for a way to fix the rip in the passenger panel if anyone has any ideas. The weather strip should also be replaced althoug no water seems to make it through.

All cosmetic stuff till I read a little more about replacing that ATF properly. Also, this is the GA6L45R transmission right? FCPEuro has like 3 different kits. I wonder if cheaping out with
For the Trans - yes, you have the GM kit. Buy the OE filter. Buy either Dextron ACDelco gen 6 fluid of the Valvoline max life if you are feeling spendy. Both of these have a lot of personal affidavits here on the site.

Really, any Dextron 6 approved fluid works. Wouldn't waste my money on spendy stuff, tho.
Appreciate 1
Snail4.50

      08-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #12861
309xi
Private First Class
112
Rep
134
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: 309

iTrader: (0)

Dropped mine off for tint (15% ceramic all the way around) and an Eonon headunit install with a full Focal speaker replacement and a backup camera. Should have it back Wednesday night. Now, I impatiently wait...
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #12862
JonOhh
Private First Class
JonOhh's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Hoping not to start a N54 vs N52 war with this one, but I thought it was a neat experience.

Finally sorted out the many issues on my friends e93 335i, and flashed MHD Stage 1. Completely changed the car - I actually fully understand the appeal of the N54 now. It's very, very impressive what a completely stock powertrain can do with nothing but a flash, and still be running with a high factor of safety. Stock tune, I have a somewhat hard time justifying the N54 over say, the 330i variant of the N52, but with a tune, at least with my logic, the platform makes a lot more sense, and damn it's fun.

That being said, I wouldn't rather have gotten a 335 over my 330, I'm very happy with my 330, with the performance, feel, and the $4000 I haven't spent on repairs that my friend has, however, I just wanted to take a moment and appreciate how damn good the engine options BMW gave us are, and how freakishly easy it is to get an otherwise stock N54 to absolutely rip.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #12863
SamK_99
Registered
SamK_99's Avatar
Ireland
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2011 320D E92 LCI
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Changed the front fog lights from the dull yellow OEM lights to nice white LED lights to match the Xenon headlights
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #12864
salpone
Second Lieutenant
salpone's Avatar
Italy
107
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: Bmw E92 320d Msport
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: italia

iTrader: (0)

I mounted an EC-GTO-BUSSOlA rearview mirror with the three buttons for Homelink.
I can't program the homelink because I bought the mirror in America but I use it in Italy and the frequencies are different and it doesn't memorize my gate. in Italy we have 433.92MHZ frequency, do you know in America what frequency Homelink works?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #12865
siphor1989
Lieutenant
153
Rep
511
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: May 2015
Location: .

iTrader: (2)

Picked up an m-sport steering wheel trim for dirt cheap from the local junkyard. It was peeling really badly so I sanded it down and sprayed it with some matte black rustoleum paint
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #12866
AdM1nsarEas$
Private
24
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 352i
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Bought it a friend

Appreciate 2
      08-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #12867
bmdubya1198
Private First Class
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i, lots of Volvos
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdM1nsarEas$ View Post
Bought it a friend

Nice choice!
__________________
2006 330i (sold)
1999 528iT
2004 X3 2.5i- M54B30 swapped (Dad's)
...and lots of other cars
Appreciate 1
cehrl7264.00

      08-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #12868
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
2676
Rep
4,353
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

I lubricated my hood hinges, trunk hinges, hood release, hood latches, and door detents with white lithium grease. Then I used lock lube in the key hole on the door.

Yeah. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel of shit to do...

Though greasing the hood latches actually helped a lot. I had to push pretty hard to close it sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post
Picked up an m-sport steering wheel trim for dirt cheap from the local junkyard. It was peeling really badly so I sanded it down and sprayed it with some matte black rustoleum paint
Shit that looks good. I thought it was brand new. I once tried using Plastidip on it. Looked and felt like crap, so I bought a new trim piece. Matte Rust-Oleum black sounds like the perfect match.
Appreciate 1
mecheng77490.50

      08-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #12869
colorado.e9x
Entrepreneur
colorado.e9x's Avatar
United_States
678
Rep
1,665
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Oh what now

Just changed my oil almost a week ago. Either one of those stupid CCV connections' loose or the extra oil coming from it is extremely contributing to my oil pan gasket leak
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #12870
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant
oVeRdOsE.'s Avatar
303
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: F25 / E91 / Audi Avant
Join Date: May 2018
Location: mtl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
Oh what now

Just changed my oil almost a week ago. Either one of those stupid CCV connections' loose or the extra oil coming from it is extremely contributing to my oil pan gasket leak
what is the sensor scale ?

In example; If it has 4 scale, and 1L between each one, you simply could be @ 20ml from the actual reading ?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST