E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Supercharger stuff (MILVs+AA+BPC)

11-13-2020, 12:35 AM   #1167
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Any of you guys looking to take my 98mm pulley route? if so sure the shop could help you source the parts etc and hopefully remote tune. Just can't stop driving this thing and pretty suprised to still see 275+ miles on a tank after plenty of joy!
Yesssss. I want to know the specifics for the clutch more than anything, fam. Just how they modified it and stuff! I'm going to read a little lower because I'm going to be on corn instead of 93, but I just want the ability to drive ALL the time in Texas, given the heat
Yeah, lived there for a couple of years and the heat is real. Water-meth should help you then with that heat. Enjoyed it so much on this car so about to add it to our Audi to get away from running octane booster which I am required to do with current setup. We will do a custom tank this time I think to increase volume and make flush/hidden. Have a good night guys!
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #1168
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Seattlesquash no inherent rush, but if you get to chit chat with your shop again, lmk what all they had to do to make that n55 clutch mate up properly, please! Hope your day goes well.
      11-13-2020, 12:11 PM   #1169
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Seattlesquash no inherent rush, but if you get to chit chat with your shop again, lmk what all they had to do to make that n55 clutch mate up properly, please! Hope your day goes well.
Will do, I will call them today... hang tight brother!
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      11-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #1170
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So, since I am not a mechanic the explanation will be basic. They put together a kit with a mix of pressure plate/clutch disc between the N52 and the N54/55 that mates up perfect. They sell the kit if you want it, and if so reach out and talk to Ian or Zack and they ship one out to you.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #1171
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So, since I am not a mechanic the explanation will be basic. They put together a kit with a mix of pressure plate/clutch disc between the N52 and the N54/55 that mates up perfect. They sell the kit if you want it, and if so reach out and talk to Ian or Zack and they ship one out to you.

Cheers
Yes! Thank you. Sounds stellar.
      11-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #1172
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Yes! Thank you. Sounds stellar.
Anytime, ready for a drink myself, after some 10k Friday fun on the rower!

Cheers indeed!

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #1173
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Alright, so like I’m back.. I won’t clog up this thread with why I bailed on getting a 240i. But I ended up figuring out my tuning issues (Which ended up being my Vanos solenoids) and after closely following Seattlesquash’s success with the ESS kit, I think I’m going to follow suit and probably abandon putting the turbo back on.

Purely based on simplicity of the kit and how well it’s working for him.

I do have interest in eveyone’s opinions though, and a few questions.

What do you guys think about the V3 ESS kit, it doesn’t appear to be a Vortec Blower anymore. The kit is still roughly 6800$ Canadian, a bit pricey.

Where are you guys running the nozzles for meth?

And finally, has anyone considered running a Bov somewhere?
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      11-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #1174
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
Alright, so like I’m back.. I won’t clog up this thread with why I bailed on getting a 240i. But I ended up figuring out my tuning issues (Which ended up being my Vanos solenoids) and after closely following Seattlesquash’s success with the ESS kit, I think I’m going to follow suit and probably abandon putting the turbo back on.

Purely based on simplicity of the kit and how well it’s working for him.

I do have interest in eveyone’s opinions though, and a few questions.

What do you guys think about the V3 ESS kit, it doesn’t appear to be a Vortec Blower anymore. The kit is still roughly 6800$ Canadian, a bit pricey.

You can buy a 335i for $6,800. Sell your car. Buy 335i, install free tune. You will be faster stock than an n52 will ever be and have saved a significant amount of money. Assuming you are dead set on keeping the n52(for whatever reason) get a used SC kit. You are considering buy a new SC kit which costs as much as a 335i and barely adds 75 whp. Add on a custom pulley, custom tune, headers, new injectors, and probably meth etc. to get more out of it. Then you are even more upside down vs. buying the practical engine.

The meth nozzels go anywhere after the compressor. You want at least 2. You can drill and tap the compressor outlet or make a metal transition/hump pipe and put them in there. Or just go direct port and be done with it.

Why do you want a BOV? Yes, you can add one, but it will not be easy. If you want that BOV sound get a turbo FI engine in the e9X platform.

ESS probably got tired of paying for the Vortech blower and found something that costs less and makes them more margin. Given the platform and age of cost of the kit they didn't redesign it to have worse margins.

Last edited by Torgus; 11-18-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
      11-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #1175
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
You can buy a 335i for $6,800. Sell your car. Buy 335i, install free tune. You will be faster stock than an n52 will ever be and have saved a significant amount of money. Assuming you are dead set on keeping the n52(for whatever reason) get a used SC kit. You are considering buy a new SC kit which costs as much as a 335i and barely adds 75 whp. Add on a custom pulley, custom tune, headers, new injectors, and probably meth etc. to get more out of it. Then you are even more upside down vs. buying the practical engine.

The meth nozzels go anywhere after the compressor. You want at least 2. You can drill and tap the compressor outlet or make a metal transition/hump pipe and put them in there. Or just go direct port and be done with it.

Why do you want a BOV? Yes, you can add one, but it will not be easy. If you want that BOV sound get a turbo FI engine in the e9X platform.

ESS probably got tired of paying for the Vortech blower and found something that costs less and makes them more margin. Given the platform and age of cost of the kit they didn't redesign it to have worse margins.

Ahh yes, the Ol’ buy a 335.

So, I buy a 335i. Manual ? With under 160xxx kms. No where near $6800. I’d say around 10-12 area. Get one with more kms you say? Followed by carbon cleaning, injector replacement, turbo replacement and all the other common N54 issues. So now my $6000 dollar sacked out N54 car with questionable history isn’t 6k anymore.

So now what do I do with my peasant 328i sitting on adjusted coilovers, sway bars, aftermarket mounts, LSD, and Brembo Gt6 brakes. I take out all those parts and casually swap it all over on to said 335? Not logical, so spend another 5k on making my car equal to what I previously had, minus the engine performance. That’s a lot of time and money. We haven’t even dipped into going FBO with the N54.

Trust me, I get the N54 debate. I really do. But the logic for ME isn’t there.

My car already has headers, and StageFp software. Bob’s told me I could get mid 300’s to the wheels, which is Exactly what I’m looking for to be honest. I’m not looking to break any world records for power. The N52 engine experience is amazing, if it only just had another 100 whp. And, that’s where the blower makes sense to me.

I bought my 328 with 80xxx kms as the second owner in fantastic condition, and it’s been probably my favourite car I’ve ever owned. In my 28 years of existence on this planet, even Coming from a 2014 Audi s6 on hybrid turbos.
I don’t know how else to put it, I guess it sounds a little crazy..

Also,
I’m under the impression as per vortec’s website that a blower needs a Bov at over 8 psi. Not trying to make fan boi wooshi nosies and shit.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #1176
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Alright, so like I'm back.. I won't clog up this thread with why I bailed on getting a 240i. But I ended up figuring out my tuning issues (Which ended up being my Vanos solenoids) and after closely following Seattlesquash's success with the ESS kit, I think I'm going to follow suit and probably abandon putting the turbo back on.

Purely based on simplicity of the kit and how well it's working for him.

I do have interest in eveyone's opinions though, and a few questions.

What do you guys think about the V3 ESS kit, it doesn't appear to be a Vortec Blower anymore. The kit is still roughly 6800$ Canadian, a bit pricey.

As much as I enjoy mine, if the financials are considered versus performance then I agree it is not cheap to get good power out of this one. However, love it how it sits now although journey was not cheap but well worth it to me.

Also, I see 335's every singe day and enjoy something different!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:19 AM   #1177
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

Quote:
Ahh yes, the Ol’ buy a 335.
Also,
I’m under the impression as per vortec’s website that a blower needs a Bov at over 8 psi. Not trying to make fan boi wooshi nosies and shit.
I actually thought it was lower than 8 psi, more like 6psi which is why I assumed the ESS doesn't go much above that with the Vortech?

I had a Rotrex blower fitted to my 130i for a couple of years which needs a BOV at lower boost. I used the Turbosmart electronic controller which I believe is what BPC/Bob used on their N52 turbo kit many years ago.

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/b...ort-bov-black/

I removed and sold the supercharger over a year ago as I couldn't get the tune right even with Bob's expertise. I still have the BOV controller if you are interested although postage to Canada/US might be high but I can check.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #1178
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilli View Post
Quote:
Ahh yes, the Ol' buy a 335.
Also,
I'm under the impression as per vortec's website that a blower needs a Bov at over 8 psi. Not trying to make fan boi wooshi nosies and shit.
I actually thought it was lower than 8 psi, more like 6psi which is why I assumed the ESS doesn't go much above that with the Vortech?

I had a Rotrex blower fitted to my 130i for a couple of years which needs a BOV at lower boost. I used the Turbosmart electronic controller which I believe is what BPC/Bob used on their N52 turbo kit many years ago.

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/b...ort-bov-black/

I removed and sold the supercharger over a year ago as I couldn't get the tune right even with Bob's expertise. I still have the BOV controller if you are interested although postage to Canada/US might be high but I can check.
Speaking of tuning, if anyone of you want to step up the power, try my shop that did mine before you sell it. Runs better/smoother than stock and power delivery is flawless. We held it down at 350/300 torque for now where it is very happy... but knowing myself we likely tweak some in the near future and bring it up a bit. I asked my shop if the tuning was difficult with my setup + Meth, and he said not really and based on some builds they done they said this was no issue. Except, I now have new tires which he required to refine/bump it further as we were constantly slipping/spinning on dyno.

Now a couple of weeks in the car, I really like the koni sport (yellow) with the Eibach pro over the FSD, and compliments all other upgrades on car... and definitely would not feel as balanced, if I did not run a BBK and lots of other handling upgrades.

My only regret is that I did not know of these guys 2-3 years ago!

Edit: bonus is gas mileage and even with heavier foot it's significantly better than before and done last 2 tanks over 300. Zack said the ESS tune was very rich and overly conservative, which he said is typical and make sense when you make a generic run for all conditions/climates/gas types. I am curious why ESS said it can't be done w headers due to o2 feedback etc, when these guys had no issue to make is run perfect and consistent with my new AA headers. My setup is conservative and done for a daily setup but he said if I wanted to really push it we could switch out some internal parts etc and really bump it. Unlikely, I do that, but next stop down there w my new tires perhaps we bring it up to 370-380 WHP and increase the torque some... although I have a hard time to maintain traction as it is, so would only do that since I am stupid and can't leave shit alone!
Appreciate 3
Biginboca3760.50
Noir883.00
Torgus3781.50
      11-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #1179
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
As much as I enjoy mine, if the financials are considered versus performance then I agree it is not cheap to get good power out of this one. However, love it how it sits now although journey was not cheap but well worth it to me.

I mean, I think we can all agree modifying cars is a slippery money soaked slope.

Believe it or not, I had a 60mm turbo strapped to mine. Which was quite the job, I had a few small issues unrelated to the turbo and never finished it. The guy had doing all my fabrication moved and sold his shop, so I didn't have the resources to finish my down pipe and exhaust properly. I also Effed up my oil drain line into my oil pan, wasn't high enough in the pan so my turbo smoked. It's such a pain in the ass to take the oil pan out, Plus the general install time of turbo and manifold, I just can't handle doing it again. I'd rather just spend the money on the Ess kit, Especially after seeing your success. I could even reuse my Intercooler, injectors and Bob from stagefp said he'd hook me up on the tune.

I would assume with the intercooler I could run 10 psi or more reliably. And, it's all a simple bolt on procedure. I just want like 400 horse power, with the simplicity of the n52 and all my suspension/ brake mods. that's it. You're not going to see my car at sema, or an episode of 1320Videos. I just want my car to be a little more spicy. N54's are cool and all, but these days now if you're not doing a 800mm single turbo making 19000 whp, you're irrelevant it seems. If I wanted an N54, I would have bought a 335..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #1180
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I mean, I think we can all agree modifying cars is a slippery money soaked slope.

Believe it or not, I had a 60mm turbo strapped to mine. Which was quite the job, I had a few small issues unrelated to the turbo and never finished it. The guy had doing all my fabrication moved and sold his shop, so I didn't have the resources to finish my down pipe and exhaust properly. I also Effed up my oil drain line into my oil pan, wasn't high enough in the pan so my turbo smoked. It's such a pain in the ass to take the oil pan out, Plus the general install time of turbo and manifold, I just can't handle doing it again. I'd rather just spend the money on the Ess kit, Especially after seeing your success. I could even reuse my Intercooler, injectors and Bob from stagefp said he'd hook me up on the tune.

I would assume with the intercooler I could run 10 psi or more reliably. And, it's all a simple bolt on procedure. I just want like 400 horse power, with the simplicity of the n52 and all my suspension/ brake mods. that's it. You're not going to see my car at sema, or an episode of 1320Videos. I just want my car to be a little more spicy. N54's are cool and all, but these days now if you're not doing a 800mm single turbo making 19000 whp, you're irrelevant it seems. If I wanted an N54, I would have bought a 335..
Quote:
Quote:

Agree with you, we all love modifying ours cars and anyone mixing in the term investment, is clearly not understanding the passion/obsession to create something unique. I think 400 whp is obtainable. I imagine Zack, who is a computer guy could easily figure out a way to remote tune you if you wanted if you take my route. And yes, I was pretty close to that, still pumped with mine! Cheers man!

This Reminds me when a bike shop says I could no fit the latest disc brakes on a 2000 carbon frame... and tell me to buy a new frame instead. some tedious fabrication later with an aluminum fabricator and solidworks - it was done... boom. Could I buy a new bike for the $600 I spent on the fabrication, yes but the challenge is worth it by itself and enjoy the shit out of it now!
Appreciate 3
E92William1998.00
Biginboca3760.50
Noir883.00
      12-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #1181
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How are you guys doing? Any news on your cars, any cool upgrades to share with us fellow enthusiasts... I finally got some new tires and may go down and play on dyno a bit more once I will hook up better.

Just checking in, as it's been pretty silent here.

Cheers guys, and have a great weekend!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #1182
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How are you guys doing? Any news on your cars, any cool upgrades to share with us fellow enthusiasts... I finally got some new tires and may go down and play on dyno a bit more once I will hook up better.

Yeah :,)

Got a TC Kline double adjustable kit incoming (fronts only atm. Thank God because I at least needed the negative camber in the front for the tires I may or may not run, rears will be restocked towards the end of January).

Set of Apex EC-7Rs in that sweeeeet brushed finish. Racking my brains trying to figure out what tires to run — I figured some sort of barely legal slick or a set of Yokohama AD08R because they have really good reviews.

Reached out to NX (apparently they absorbed/meshed with Snow?) to get some fine details on the 210-BRD kit, found out that there are two controllers, one that reads boost via vacuum line and one that reads by a sensor tapped into the intake tract. Asked the final question of which one is more accurate.

Reached out to the great CobraMarty, he is sending me the washer/spacer needed to push out whatever pulley I decide to go with (probably what you did, Seattlesquash) and have everything lined up on the serpentine. I'll just destroy this new clutch and get one sent to me from your guys. :,)

E85 injectors and map are still waiting for the washer, methanol, and pulley, still. I did snag a sweet methanol tank like Minutes2Midnight. I'm assuming his boost reading is retrieved via the tap into the intake, so I'm hoping that's the more accurate version of snows 2.5 kit controller.
      12-06-2020, 07:45 AM   #1183
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
You want the sensor tapped into the intake. It's a hobbs switch, very common and simple. Vac is fine the the Hobbs will be more reliable in the long run. It's also just an on/off switch so it does not need to be amazingly accurate. You are not basing your fueling/tune off of it.

As far as tires I would be surprised if just some michelin pilot sport 4s would not be enough. You are not making a ton of tq. You really should not need a semi slick which will mean you can't drive your car in the rain. Any high quality summer tire like the MPS4S should do the job.

Nice things about the Arcs is you can run a BBK kit on their 17 which means you get all the tire/sidewall you want and a nice light weight rim: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651864 If I ever track my car those are what I would run with a real race cah tyre.

Which one of you guys are going to break 400whp 1st? The S54 NA record is around 400whp right?

Last edited by Torgus; 12-06-2020 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #1184
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:

Set of Apex EC-7Rs in that sweeeeet brushed finish.
Dang I’m jealous! Those wheels are gonna look super sweet I really like them a lot. Good choice homie!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #1185
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Torgus thank you SO MUCH for sharing your knowledge here!!! I don't NEED the semi slick....... but I never drive in the rain with this car with that stupid intake cone — even more so since I got my 340i. I have been running Michelin's on the 313s I have, and I really do like them in comparison to the continentals I ran on the csl reps I used to have before. I'm trying to make this as aggressive as possible, while still keeping it legal to enjoy every few days out here. :,) I'm stuck between what you have listed, nitto, (insert semi slick here, can't remember), and those advans... I think my money would be on Seattle since he's already got an upgraded clutch — mine would've been upgraded, but my tranny is in that weird overlap period. I am unsure if I would need an m54 clutch or what. >:/

Biginboca thanks dude! I can't wait when the contrast is REALLY there when I spray the car a prettier color.
Biginboca3760.50
      12-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #1186
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You want the sensor tapped into the intake. It's a hobbs switch, very common and simple. Vac is fine the the Hobbs will be more reliable in the long run. It's also just an on/off switch so it does not need to be amazingly accurate. You are not basing your fueling/tune off of it.

As far as tires I would be surprised if just some michelin pilot sport 4s would not be enough. You are not making a ton of tq. You really should not need a semi slick which will mean you can't drive your car in the rain. Any high quality summer tire like the MPS4S should do the job.

Nice things about the Arcs is you can run a BBK kit on their 17 which means you get all the tire/sidewall you want and a nice light weight rim: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651864 If I ever track my car those are what I would run with a real race cah tyre.

Which one of you guys are going to break 400whp 1st? The S54 NA record is around 400whp right?
Not sure I will ever break it, since I got mine setup for daily and never track it but with new tires I would not be surprised if we get it back up to 380whp+. However, can't wait to see you guys go all out! Must say the headers are so satisfying w the new sound, another thing I should have done a long time ago, but waited until recently and no emission in WA any longer.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      12-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #1187
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah :,)

Got a TC Kline double adjustable kit incoming (fronts only atm. Thank God because I at least needed the negative camber in the front for the tires I may or may not run, rears will be restocked towards the end of January).

Set of Apex EC-7Rs in that sweeeeet brushed finish. Racking my brains trying to figure out what tires to run — I figured some sort of barely legal slick or a set of Yokohama AD08R because they have really good reviews.

Reached out to NX (apparently they absorbed/meshed with Snow?) to get some fine details on the 210-BRD kit, found out that there are two controllers, one that reads boost via vacuum line and one that reads by a sensor tapped into the intake tract. Asked the final question of which one is more accurate.

Reached out to the great CobraMarty, he is sending me the washer/spacer needed to push out whatever pulley I decide to go with (probably what you did, Seattlesquash) and have everything lined up on the serpentine. I'll just destroy this new clutch and get one sent to me from your guys. :,)

E85 injectors and map are still waiting for the washer, methanol, and pulley, still. I did snag a sweet methanol tank like Minutes2Midnight. I'm assuming his boost reading is retrieved via the tap into the intake, so I'm hoping that's the more accurate version of snows 2.5 kit controller.
Wow, sounds like you got some big plans as always, and can't wait to see it come together brother! and glad you reached out to the my shop, they will take great care of you. And you will love the new clutch, way more solid feel than previous OEM N52 one.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #1188
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Not sure I will ever break it, since I got mine setup for daily and never track it but with new tires I would not be surprised if we get it back up to 380whp+. However, can't wait to see you guys go all out! Must say the headers are so satisfying w the new sound, another thing I should have done a long time ago, but waited until recently and no emission in WA any longer.
Out of curiosity how loud is the supercharger whine?

You guys have to be able to hit 400whp, it is only a matter of time. Without cams(which as far as I know are not available) it may take a worked head and more revs. But you guys will get there.
Appreciate 0