E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Clutch question

08-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

Is this normal movement for a bmw throw out bearing? Seems like it could rattle, maybe not.

Also bearing has two opposing sides stamped with a diamond, and other sides do not. How should i install on the fork? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Bumping this because I have the same question. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850CSi View Post
Bumping this because I have the same question. Anyone?
Normal
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser124 View Post
Normal

Thanks! any idea re his question about the bearing's orientation in the fork? Like the one in the video, my bearing has two sides stamped with a diamond shape. Which way did you wind up installing it?

It appears to me that the orientation affects how far the bearing protrudes from the fork, and I'm seeing posts suggesting that one configuration is meant for euro cars vs another for US vehicles.

Last edited by 850CSi; 12-12-2020 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep

Alright, just to close the loop on this in case it benefits anyone else. I wound up choosing the orientation with the diamonds horizontal. Basically, I compared the fork/bearing to my old one and found that the dimensions were much closer that way. And every picture I could find of the throwout bearing/fork seemed to have them in that orientation.

I then found some documentation that appears to back up that intuition, see attached.
Attached Images

12-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850CSi View Post
Alright, just to close the loop on this in case it benefits anyone else. I wound up choosing the orientation with the diamonds horizontal. Basically, I compared the fork/bearing to my old one and found that the dimensions were much closer that way. And every picture I could find of the throwout bearing/fork seemed to have them in that orientation.

I then found some documentation that appears to back up that intuition, see attached.
For reference, just this past week I put a new clutch into my '06 N52. The factory TO has a different construction. There is only a single set of lands.

Measuring from the rotating face of the bearing to the rocker lands is 25mm, which roughly corresponds to the 'lower' 7mm position on the diagram above.

However the factory pivot arm/TO has a different configuration as well. The factory pivot arm has the rocking radius feature and the TO has flat lands. The new LUK assembly is the opposite. Radius rocker on the TO and with a flat pivot arm. This makes it somewhat difficult to measure apples-to-apples.

This thread popped up, literally, at the same time I was pushing the transmission on the car (working on jackstands, no lift) and I didn't see it until after the gearbox was on so it's put me into a mild state of despondency.

I installed mine in the 'high' position. I wasn't aware there were two sets of lands on the TO, and the higher ones, being more prominent were the ones I used. Didn't even notice the other set, although I do remember seeing the diamond.

I feel like that ought to be something printed on a sheet of paper LUK should include with the kit.

I'm waiting the fed-ex man to bring a replacement roll pin for the shift linkage in order to finish putting the car together. Had to perform a little 'destructive disassembly' to get it apart.

The clutch 'feels' normal. Also I was able to fully seat the slave cylinder by hand so I don't think the 'high' position is putting any static pressure on the PP. As long as the slave cylinder isn't bottomed out, it'll find it's natural home position.

I'll update next week to to let you know if the clutch is slipping.

*ninjaedit

Just went back out to the garage to test the clutch again. As I mentioned above it feels perfectly normal. The LUK is considerably lighter than the factory PP that came out, but I expect that with a luk. I'm not sure if that is a characteristic of luk clutches, or do old clutches simply get heaver as time passes due to work-hardening in the springs. My old one had 288k, so it's certainly been worked.

(as a side note, the friction disk was probably only 50% or 60% worn. I bet it had another 200k miles on it. The DM flywheel on the other hand was a bomb with a lit fuse)

The clutch fully releases. Action/engagement also feels like it's in more-or-less the same spot as the old one. Approximately 1/3 off the floor is where the grab/release point is when I reach through the center console and turn the transmission output shaft.

I'm feeling confident enough to stop losing sleep over it. Seems like it doesn't matter which way the TO is installed, at least on an N52. It's possible on the N43, N45, N46 engines that specify the high position that the slave cylinder might pop out of it's bore if installed incorrectly with the 'low' lands. However I don't know for sure.

Last edited by Brian86; 12-26-2020 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

So, closing the loop, the wagon is back on the road and runs just as it should. I double checked the slave cylinder installation to make sure it wasn't bottoming out. I can confirm that installing the TO in the incorrect 'high' position doesn't matter on an n52. Slave cylinder has adequate travel. Makes no difference in pedal action position.

The new light clutch is very pleasant. The old one had as much weight as an international box truck with a spicer gearbox I drove ages ago. My daily driver BMW shouldn't have been fatiguing my left leg when stuck in traffic or on a giving it a bit of a flogging.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #8
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep

Good stuff, thanks for the follow up.

I don't think my clutch disc or pressure plate were worn, either. I just had a big hole in my flywheel.

I still have some driveline vibration under acceleration. But hard to tell how much, because I'm trying to go easy on the new clutch for the first few hundred or so miles.
      01-18-2023, 04:46 AM   #9
Michal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Just changing my clutch experiencing the same problem having EU e90 330i N52.
Car is originally from Germany beeing driven in Europe for the whole time.
The correct orientation is the SHORT position - just compared it with old EOM dismounted from my car.
Appreciate 0