E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bimmerlabs 330i Tune DIY Step by Step

01-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #397
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
Flashed the car back to the stock 330i tune this evening. After speaking with @rjahl he told me the fuel trims, vanos and airflow tables would be off with the mafless tune and the new o2 sensor position which is of course further away from the cylinder head with the catless headers. This won't be a fix but at least the car will now see airflow coming into the engine through the MAF sensor so I think it will help. It needs a proper bimmerlabs performance tune for the headers though. Drives great either way as of now just weird cold starts. Updating some information for anyone here that might have headers or has them already.
So this is just because you added catless headers, correct?
It seems like it's because of just that yes. However now that I flashed the car to maf stock 330 with the headers the idle isn't perfectly consistent all the time. Cleaned maf sensor and no change. It'll go from 760~ to 690 up and down. So most likely going to flash it back to MAFless as it seems to run better that way. Also fuel trims are all over though I didn't check before with the MAFless tune the fuel trims to compare with these.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #398
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
Spoke too soon. Yes inpa now works but winkpf now gives me the following errors. It was running prior to my latest reinstall. The difference this time is that I deleted the folders and copied them back. Any ideas?
There is a quick fix for this if you do not want to download the E89 SPDatens and just get the 330i Flash over with.

Copy and paste the gdaten folder:
To: C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\

This should clear up the issue and WinKFP should start normally. This is what I did without grabbing the E89 daten files.
Quote:
Quote:
Spoke too soon. Yes inpa now works but winkpf now gives me the following errors. It was running prior to my latest reinstall. The difference this time is that I deleted the folders and copied them back. Any ideas?
There is a quick fix for this if you do not want to download the E89 SPDatens and just get the 330i Flash over with.

This should clear up the issue and WinKFP should start normally. This is what I did without grabbing the E89 daten files.
Thanks. I went ahead and downloaded the datens and followed the steps in the bimmerlabs instructions to update them. And the errors are gone. So I guess I'm all ready to flash?! I'm a bit scared since I ran into these issues initially. I wouldn't say it's been smooth up to this point. But I did clear some codes with inpa which proves the cable is good.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #399
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
For you guys that requested performance tunes; how long did it take to get the tune and is there a notification?

I'm sure everyone there is busy right now but I'm just curious. Or maybe I didn't do it right which is totally possible
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #400
ryanful
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 X5,06 e91 325ix,03 Mini R50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
For you guys that requested performance tunes; how long did it take to get the tune and is there a notification?

I'm sure everyone there is busy right now but I'm just curious. Or maybe I didn't do it right which is totally possible
I requested the tune. Got an email from Bimmerlabs within a week. Emailed back and forth discussing options and exactly what I was looking for. Was sent a quote for payment. Paid via PayPal. Waited about 10 days for the tune. BUT, there was no notification. I was checking my project several times per day (because who can be patient when waiting for more power), only after about 10 days did my custom tune appear.

But, let me reiterate, I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with the end result.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #401
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I went ahead and downloaded the datens and followed the steps in the bimmerlabs instructions to update them. And the errors are gone. So I guess I'm all ready to flash?! I'm a bit scared since I ran into these issues initially. I wouldn't say it's been smooth up to this point. But I did clear some codes with inpa which proves the cable is good.
I went through similar issues with setting everything up, but the tune flash went smoothly and everything runs great!
Go for it!
Appreciate 2
ryanful51.00
markslc1183.00
      01-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #402
rezonans65
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 328i

Hi, Sorry for my Englis I'm from Ukraine
I flashed gm1912 archive 7568553A.0pa.zip from bimmerlab and now have gear icon
i Triend to update EGS from winKFP but still wo result
all screenshots -
View post on imgur.com

my vin - WBAPH7C55BE851916
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #403
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezonans65 View Post
Hi, Sorry for my Englis I'm from Ukraine
I flashed gm1912 archive 7568553A.0pa.zip from bimmerlab and now have gear icon
i Triend to update EGS from winKFP but still wo result
all screenshots -
View post on imgur.com

my vin - WBAPH7C55BE851916
Does the car let you get out of park? I believe it was @bluewater328 that did it and it happened to him. As far as I'm concerned the newer cars, yours being a 08/2011 have a different transmission computer and this doesn't work out well when you try to flash this file into it. Maybe it's something else I'm not aware of. I would try flash the file again and if it doesn't work. Go back to stock. I thought they had pulled these GM trans files off the website already because of these kind of issues
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #404
rezonans65
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 328i

Quote:
Does the car let you get out of park? I believe it was @bluewater328 that did it and it happened to him. As far as I'm concerned the newer cars, yours being a 08/2011 have a different transmission computer and this doesn't work out well when you try to flash this file into it. Maybe it's something else I'm not aware of. I would try flash the file again and if it doesn't work. Go back to stock. I thought they had pulled these GM trans files off the website already because of these kind of issues
I dont know how to do it correctly, because when I tried to update i choosed incorrect znumber manualy, and dont know how to get initial

thx for your help i've found post with update and now - all ok

Last edited by rezonans65; 01-22-2021 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: problem closed
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #405
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezonans65 View Post
Quote:
I dont know how to do it correctly, because when I tried to update i choosed incorrect znumber manualy, and dont know how to get initial

thx for your help i've found post with update and now - all ok
I see you tried to do it as an update. The way people have done it here is with the bimmerlabs batch file and has so far worked okay apart from cars with the different tcm . It's from the 3.0si x3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #406
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
This is correct - there is a switch in production apparently somewhere in the LCIs and we're odd man out. Bimmerlabs was looking at it, but haven't created a solution yet. You have to use WinKFP and flash back to stock (or the updated file of your transmission as there was at least one update). I'll post if I can find all the right values, but it all stems from your UIF info and you step through the flash process from there (since you plug in based on your UIF info and select the file to replace with)

EDIT: I see @rezonans65 got it sorted. Glad you made it out.
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      02-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #407
Kapsona
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 328i. BMW e82 128i

Hey guys, I was away for a while.

Finally, my IAT sensor arrived. Installed and flashed MafLess tune. Didn’t notice any RPM spike during cold start, works perfectly, also some driving process become much enjoyable.

Now I’m going to go with catless headers, one thing I need to know how to avoid check engine light after installing catless headers? William, did you deal with that case? how you solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kapsona; 02-03-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #408
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapsona View Post
Hey guys, I was away for a while.

Finally, my IAT sensor arrived. Installed and flashed MafLess tune. Didn’t notice any RPM spike during cold start, works perfectly, also some driving process become much enjoyable.

Now I’m going to go with catless headers, one thing I need to know how to avoid check engine light after installing catless headers? William, did you deal with that case? how you solve this?

Thanks in advance.
Custom tune is the real answer. But you could try getting a bung extender to see if that helps. But you'd be leaving power on the table.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #409
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I forgot to update on that but the weird idle up and down from flashing the MAF tune in a car with headers completely went away. Also 0 idle spike on cold start like it used to do in the MAFless tune. Seems you do need the IAT for MAFless at least to get rid of that cold start behavior

(SES is from the car realizing there's no cats)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #410
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to update on that but the weird idle up and down from flashing the MAF tune in a car with headers completely went away. Also 0 idle spike on cold start like it used to do in the MAFless tune. Seems you do need the IAT for MAFless at least to get rid of that cold start behavior

(SES is from the car realizing there's no cats)
Well, while I think the MAF could contribute, I think there are always other reasons, even without codes that can kind of behavior. Mine for instance, is probably a bad injector (or coil/plug) as it finally popped a code intermittently on a spirited run. The logic behind it makes sense too if you had slight surges or hesitations every once in awhile.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #411
Mark963
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I turned it off until I have time to sort out the difference variants. It only takes one or two people with cars that don't work to make giving away stuff not worth it.
Thanks for all you're doing for our N52's!!

I have a 2010-07-15 production date 328xi with paddle shifters. The transmission programming on this car has always driven me nuts. I even all the drivetrain software updated by the dealership in 2018 and that made it better, but it's still squirrelly. Is there's any status on the GM1912 GM transmission software?

If there's anything I could do or information I could provide or whatever, I'd be happy to support.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #412
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

TL;DR: I'm an idiot and didn't realize there were two batch files. Once I ran them both, everything worked perfectly.

Just flashed BimmerLabs 330i GM1912 tune and car no longer moves out of park. List of DTC's is attached.

I made sure to choose (what I believe to be) the correct tune for my GM box, based on the HW # 7576679. I've also attached a screenshot of my module IDs from INPA.
  • I used BimmerGeeks cable, which I have used to update SW on GM1912 before without issue (am aware that using cheaper cables can brick the module)
  • For flashing, I used the .BAT file and everything seemed to work fine... At the end, after returning to the command-prompt window, the result was Programming OK

I know this has been discussed and bluewater328 also ended up with the gear icon and vehicle stuck in park, but my HW ID matches that of the flash, so I was expecting it *should* work. Am I wrong? Did I screw something up?

hassmaschine Do you have any suggestions? I've just downloaded latest DATEN files and will try flashing EGS to latest software. BTW, I was able to flash back to stock with WinKFP, but would ideally like to get the 330 GM flash working, if possible. Thanks for your help!

Edit 2:
  • Downloaded latest (and last, from what I hear...) DATEN files, v.67.1
  • Flashed EGS to HW # 7576679, ZB# 7585087
  • Tried using the .BAT file corresponding to my newly-updated EGS
  • Same result as before: shift lock solenoid actuates at beginning of programming and doesn't release. Programming status at end (not WinKFP, but the batch file UI) indicates programming okay
  • Car won't move out of park; Christmas tree dash

Can I just try to do this manually? I'm comfortable with coding, and have also updated and re-flashed a number of modules in my car. I've tried to figure out how to use Hass's files with Expert Mode in WinKFP but apparently am too much of a noob.

Edit 3:

Remember when I said I was a noob?

Well, I didn't realize there were two batch files: the program and the tune. I'm going to try this again and post back. To my credit, I didn't have this problem when I flashed the 330 tune to my DME . For whatever reason I thought this was just a one-shot deal, and not a two-parter like the DME one was.

Last edited by e90yyc; 02-07-2021 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #413
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Aw shit man. Can you try flashing the transmission back to stock with the stock bat file?

Edit: nvm just saw you did. I haven't really looked too much into this because it already works fine in my car but the car that was found for this was the x3 3.0si ofc which has the same transmission computer as my car. If the later cars have a different transmission computer or something of the like then I suppose we need to find out which cars came with the highest output N52 with the manifold and the newer computer and just flash that on to one of these cars.

I don't wanna overstate how much better it is but a stock e90 feels like it has mcchickens as synchros when shifting of how soft and slow it is while this feel very direct and quicker. Specially after it adapts to your driving
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:29 PM   #414
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Aw shit man. Can you try flashing the transmission back to stock with the stock bat file?

Edit: nvm just saw you did. I haven't really looked too much into this because it already works fine in my car but the car that was found for this was the x3 3.0si ofc which has the same transmission computer as my car. If the later cars have a different transmission computer or something of the like then I suppose we need to find out which cars came with the highest output N52 with the manifold and the newer computer and just flash that on to one of these cars.

I don't wanna overstate how much better it is but a stock e90 feels like it has mcchickens as synchros when shifting of how soft and slow it is while this feel very direct and quicker. Specially after it adapts to your driving
Thanks for the reply!

Well I'm glad to hear it's worthwhile! My transmission is absolute trash TBH. Pretty sure hard parts were damaged when it was run low on fluid. PO maintained car well, but due to BMW's lifetime BS, I think the leak went unnoticed. I put in the majority of a Zip Kit (minus new PR valve because I would have had to remove the trans to access pump) but it really didn't make a difference. Looking forward to seeing if this tune changes things.
      02-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #415
Kapsona
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 328i. BMW e82 128i

Thanks guys for answering.

Yeah I tried contact Has here in DM but without luck.

Also tried to request tuner on bimmerlabs, without hearing any answer.

Does anyone reached them out in near future?

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #416
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Let me know if you figure something out^ I'm in the same boat!

Has anyone done some research on raising the redline on automatic cars? Manual cars often get raised 250-500 RPM. Is this a hardware or software limitation? From what I've read the transmission software cuts off power or something if you go over 7k.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #417
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Let me know if you figure something out^ I'm in the same boat!

Has anyone done some research on raising the redline on automatic cars? Manual cars often get raised 250-500 RPM. Is this a hardware or software limitation? From what I've read the transmission software cuts off power or something if you go over 7k.
Nope, TCU just follows the appropriate shift map and shifts to the next gear up.

If you had the ZF box you could raid the rev limiter and adjust the shift maps as you please.

Stock DME have a built in Soft limiter and starts pulling intake valve lift at 6800 RPM. Another feature is the torque reduction during gear shift. So you get the soft limit and torque reduction during the the shift. It's horrible.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #418
bmwbob89
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328XI 04 325XI 740 88 M5

No Data on OBD for an inspection sticker
I went in for a Massachusetts state inspection sticker today and they can't communicate with the OBD. I'm running the Bimmerlabs no maf tune. I can access the DME with my Autel Maxidas scanner but I can't get Torque to connect. It seems to me Torque connected to the car in the past. Anyone with a similar issue? I'm debating flashing back to stock and see if that fixes it to get a sticker and then flash back. Next question is how to flash back and which Stock file to use as there are 2 listed. Thanks Guys
Appreciate 0