Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > W Speed Rating, etc.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

W Speed Rating, etc.

In the works of buying some tires and found some A/S W speed rated tires. I don’t need a W rating, but they’re not much so I was probably gonna get them. Some questions I had though were, are W tires stiffer than an H? Was wondering if a stiffer tire will help the fact that I’m not running run flats. They’re the same load index as my previous ones. I’ve ran non run flats since I’ve had it with no issues though. Just wondering if this tire will be able to handle more. Will an A/S W rated tire have less grip in colder weather? My owners manual has a list of tires and what the air pressure should be for all configurations, but there’s two things I’m not seeing. One thing is I’m not seeing certain tires and load indexes in there that TireRack has listed. TireRack for example says I can roll a 205/55ZR16 91W and also a 205/55R16 94H XL. In the owners manual these size and speed configurations are not listed under tires and their PSI specs. Is this because they feel these tires would never be necessary for this car or that they’re unsuitable? Perhaps at the time of the manual being put out those configurations weren’t available so they weren’t listed in the manual? 205/55R16 91H is what I’ve been running for years so I wondered what the pros and cons would be of running these higher speed ratings and higher load indexes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #2
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Load Indices/Speed Rating has no bearing on stiffness or feel of a tire, first of all. You should follow the minimum specifications that your owner's manual dictates. Past that, on the door sill there will be a placard informing you of the factory pressures needed for front and rear tires, in most instances you should follow those guidelines. +/- 2 PSI depending on comfort, use scenarios, and exterior temperatures.