E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bluetooth module coding required?

04-07-2021, 03:50 AM   #1
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

Bluetooth module coding required?

Hi, my combox (9257161-01) suddenly stopped working (for bluetooth only) and I have found a possible second hand replacement. The part numbers are the same and the S/W and H/W are the same on both parts. My question is:

Do I still need to code the new unit or can I just disconnect battery, do a physical swap and reconnect battery?

Thanks to everyone that replies.
      04-15-2021, 04:08 AM   #2
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

No need to disconnect the battery, if you can still talk to the combox, grab the config with ncsexpert and install the "new" combox and load the config.

or just replace and hope the config is the same.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your advice. I am not sure there is much to configure. I know there was an option for extended bluetooth that allowed you to play music from your phone and get artwork on display, but to be honest I just want the standard bluetooth so that I can use the phone again. But as the combox also does the SOS call, I am still wondering whether that means you need to code the VIN to the combox so that the SOS works? I have never used the NCS expert and would be a little wary as it might be too easy to mess up important stuff. I have access to carly but I am sure that it does not let you reconfigure (or register) a new combox. Thanks again for your help. In case I need one, do you know a coder near Bristol? Or just a coder if the work can be done remotely.
      04-16-2021, 02:25 AM   #4
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

vin coding for the combox is not required, unless your have a assist contract with bmw.

You cold always just plug it in and see what you get, you wont damage anything doing that.

I dont know any coders in the bristol area, sorry.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, things have got a bit more confusing. I have a combox on which the bluetooth now sometimes works! As far as I can tell it does not work when I first start the car, but I noticed that when I got some fuel and returned to the car, when I inserted the key it started to work again. It seems once it is past the 'please wait' screen everything works as it should and so does the USB port in the armrest, etc.
So, I have tried rebooting the CIC by pressing the on/off button until it reboots and this does not kick bluetooth into life.
I have tried starting the car and once the bluetooth has not started, turning off, removing the keys and locking car, but staying in the car. Then when I hear the shutdown noise (sort of sigh and creak) I insert keys and when ignition starts, the bluetooth will most often work.
I am no expert but once I have the 'please wait' screen it doesn't matter how long I wait, the bluetooth will not start. But, if I turn off and then come back, say in 4-6 minutes, maybe ten minutes, and start the car, usually it does work.
To me, it is a bit like a laptop application. When you do a full start up of windows for some reason the app will not work, but if you let screen saver kick in, then bring the laptop out of 'sleep', the app. will work.
Now thinking this is more of a software problem than a hardware problem.
Any coders out there that have seen this before?
Any suggestions and offers of help much appreciated.
Thanks,
      05-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

I have had the 'please wait' issue before. It was solved by doing a reset on the combox using ncsexpert.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that response. I still have the issue. Are there any ncsexpert users out there that could help? I am based near Bristol. Thanks
      11-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Update - -----------this issue was with my X5. I got a used combox, same part number, same H/W and S/W versions. Took the precaution of disconnecting the battery, installed the used part and now bluetooth is working as it should. No coding required.