E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?

05-22-2022, 01:46 AM   #20659
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
56 as well. They're both for the door actuators
On it! Pack of fuses comes in tomorrow! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:00 AM   #20660
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
If you need a front actuator BMW do a repair kit which comes with both the front actuators. Price is pretty reasonable too at $75. They list the LF actuator for $187 by itself. https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/32...5&b=5&d=700&v=

Last edited by F31B48; 05-22-2022 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:10 AM   #20661
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
THE ENINTY... HE RUNS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAHFUCKINGHOO!!!!

Details later, I have to go for a test drive and cut the yard. lol
Thats great! Glad to hear the old warrior will live to continue the battle. It just wouldn't be a fitting end for it to die by... drowning.
      05-22-2022, 06:07 AM   #20662
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Thats great! Glad to hear the old warrior will live to continue the battle. It just wouldn't be a fitting end for it to die by... drowning.
Looking at the giant font now, maybe I was a bit over dramatic. LOL

But thanks. And you're right, it would have been a stupid way for it to go out. Just another data point that shows how tough the E90 really is.

And for those curious, I checked with my insurance agent. Dumbass moves like mine where you break a glass bottle of liquid in the trunk and it damages the electronics is covered under Comprehensive insurance.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
Buug95917372.00
      05-22-2022, 06:09 AM   #20663
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The fuse block has a few spares up on the top row in case you wanted to change the fuse today.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2022, 06:43 AM   #20664
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Looking at the giant font now, maybe I was a bit over dramatic. LOL

But thanks. And you're right, it would have been a stupid way for it to go out. Just another data point that shows how tough the E90 really is.

And for those curious, I checked with my insurance agent. Dumbass moves like mine where you break a glass bottle of liquid in the trunk and it damages the electronics is covered under Comprehensive insurance.
Excited. That's what we'll call it. And joy that an old friend is still with you (and us). I know mine will never make it anyway near the mileage your's has so I do share in your joy. Mine just turned over 170k kms yesterday so it has an incredible journey ahead of it yet I hope, barring unexpected wildlife encounters that is.
      05-22-2022, 07:25 AM   #20665
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Excited. That's what we'll call it. And joy that an old friend is still with you (and us). I know mine will never make it anyway near the mileage your's has so I do share in your joy. Mine just turned over 170k kms yesterday so it has an incredible journey ahead of it yet I hope, barring unexpected wildlife encounters that is.
How does the E90 do regarding corrosion in the environs of Nova Scotia? I did a motorcycle trip to Canadian Maritimes back in the day. Really enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:33 AM   #20666
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Yesterday was a beautiful day for those of us that are garage poor to get some work done. I started by reinstalling my DME after getting the mosfets replaced and testing the repair. The DME internal fault code was gone but the car didn't run any better. I had codes for cylinder 3 misfire and cylinder 3 coil fault. I kinda expected that and was prepared for it. A new set of Eldor coils and NGK plugs arrived Thursday from FCP Euro. That cured the old girl. She's purring like a fat, happy tiger now.

The next order of business was to upgrade to my new VRSF charge pipe and install the new Tial BOV. That half hour job went pretty good until my dumbass fingers dropped the cylinder nut for the BOV t-bolt clamp down between the charge pipe and the alternator... you know, the black hole of engine bays. Well I looked and felt around and then got an inspection mirror and looked some more. No way could I find that nut and of course it was the threaded one so way harder to make a new one. I even jacked up the car and removed the underbody panel. Nope, it didn't miraculously fall out. I then removed the aluminum reinforcement plate from the subframe (XDrive) and felt and looked all around again. I even had a friend with much smaller hands searching as well. By now I was into this search for almost an hour and was getting pretty frustrated. I went back up top and removed the charge pipe again so I could get a better look. Lo and behold there it is sitting proud as could be on top of the subframe crossmember about 1/8" beyond the reach of my fingertips. I retrieved it with a strategically bent piece of wire and reassembled the underside plate and panel and then the charge pipe once more.

Now it was time to install the new BMS cold air intake. Its just a couple of cone filters and inlet pipe adapters so that went smooth as silk.

After reinstalling the cowl plate and cabin filter I went for a test drive to make sure I wasn't going to get any error codes. None and the car ran great. Time for some lunch.

After lunch I thought its such a nice day I think I'll tackle the rear shocks and springs finally (Bilstein B8s and H&R). That whole job was pretty uneventful up until I noticed the ride height sensor bracket dangling from the arm of the sensor. It had obviously been like that for quite some time as the ball was rusted and swelled in the plastic arm from the sensor and hadn't moved in a long time. I managed to remove the bracket ball without destroying the plastic arm thankfully. I straightened the bracket and after much profanity got it reattached to the control arm and the sensor arm.

By the time I got the wheels back on and all the tools and old parts taken care of it was after 7pm and I was ready for a cold one. I hadn't had any beer all day because I was thinking "Test Drive" when I finished. Didn't test drive. Had a beer( well maybe more than one) and then a shower. If the weather holds, its not supposed to, maybe I'll start on the front struts and springs today, maybe.

Last edited by Buug959; 05-22-2022 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 5
      05-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #20667
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
How does the E90 do regarding corrosion in the environs of Nova Scotia? I did a motorcycle trip to Canadian Maritimes back in the day. Really enjoyed it.
Body-wise it seems to be holding up very well, especially considering that you can't get more than 40 miles away from the ocean anywhere in the province. I don't see any rust at all.
The suspension components are a different story however. Lots of rust down there. Ask me how I know. See previous post.

The trans case and engine block are showing some corrosion as well but that's really just cosmetic at this point. All in all its not too bad. Bolts and screws still come out when you need them to. They just don't look very nice.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip up this way. It really is a beautiful place to live although I get frustrated with the winters here. You see I like snow. The problem with being surrounded by the (relatively) warm waters of the North Atlantic is that when we do get a good snowstorm it almost always switches to rain at the end. That just makes a mess of everything, especially the roads, hence the enormous amount of salt dumped on them. Its a miracle any cars last more than a few years. I tuck mine away in a barn for the winter, so that helps.
      05-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #20668
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Body-wise it seems to be holding up very well, especially considering that you can't get more than 40 miles away from the ocean anywhere in the province. I don't see any rust at all.
The suspension components are a different story however. Lots of rust down there. Ask me how I know. See previous post.

The trans case and engine block are showing some corrosion as well but that's really just cosmetic at this point. All in all its not too bad. Bolts and screws still come out when you need them to. They just don't look very nice.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip up this way. It really is a beautiful place to live although I get frustrated with the winters here. You see I like snow. The problem with being surrounded by the (relatively) warm waters of the North Atlantic is that when we do get a good snowstorm it almost always switches to rain at the end. That just makes a mess of everything, especially the roads, hence the enormous amount of salt dumped on them. Its a miracle any cars last more than a few years. I tuck mine away in a barn for the winter, so that helps.
So, the neat thing with the N52 magnesium engine block is as it ages (with salt exposure) it turns purple.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917372.00
      05-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #20669
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
So, the neat thing with the N52 magnesium engine block is as it ages (with salt exposure) it turns purple.
Yah, nah. Mine is just that dull gray with some white flakes here and there. Purple would be cool.
      05-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #20670
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
If you need a front actuator BMW do a repair kit which comes with both the front actuators. Price is pretty reasonable too at $75. They list the LF actuator for $187 by itself. https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/32...5&b=5&d=700&v=
Thanks, I saw that last night and almost ordered. Very well priced for BMW parts! But I'm going to try pulling one for $6 and hope to get some miles out of it. I like going there and doing that, so the time it takes is recreational!!!

Quote:
The fuse block has a few spares up on the top row in case you wanted to change the fuse today.
Yes, thanks... that's where I got the 15A from. There weren't any 20A there though. And the fuse card location card was missing as well which annoys me to no end!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 11:29 AM   #20671
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I saw that last night and almost ordered. Very well priced for BMW parts! But I'm going to try pulling one for $6 and hope to get some miles out of it. I like going there and doing that, so the time it takes is recreational!!!

Yes, thanks... that's where I got the 15A from. There weren't any 20A there though. And the fuse card location card was missing as well which annoys me to no end!!!
That fuse card is a waste of time anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #20672
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
That fuse card is a waste of time anyway.
I'm a completist, so get an OCD itch if something isn't there!

But score today at the Pick-a-Part: L & R actuators, expansion tank, fuses, and yes, a fuse card!!!

Thank you little 128i for giving of yourself so that my 330i may live!

Appreciate 4
      05-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #20673
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Clogged Drains + Rain = Blown Amp

It finally happened to me. H20 got into left rear trunk where the Logic7 amp is located and shorted out. Sounded like a bolt of lightening from Thor though the speakers when it blew. I pulled the amp out (thank you Bavarian engineers for making the trunk panels so hard to remove), took it apart and confirmed there was corrosion on the signal processing card. The amp card itself looks fine. Just spent some quality time with the corroded card, soft toothbrush and some CRC circuit board cleaner gently scrubbing the corrosion off. Nothing looks fried, but who knows. Its drying now. We'll see if I come up lucky. If not, we'll see what eBay has to offer.

Has anyone ever drilled a drainhole through the body in the amp well for drainage? Am debating doing so and installing a small one way valve.
      05-22-2022, 06:06 PM   #20674
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Made progress. Apparently going to rain the next 4 days… hopefully will be done next week
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-22-2022, 06:44 PM   #20675
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
It finally happened to me. H20 got into left rear trunk where the Logic7 amp is located and shorted out. Sounded like a bolt of lightening from Thor though the speakers when it blew. I pulled the amp out (thank you Bavarian engineers for making the trunk panels so hard to remove), took it apart and confirmed there was corrosion on the signal processing card. The amp card itself looks fine. Just spent some quality time with the corroded card, soft toothbrush and some CRC circuit board cleaner gently scrubbing the corrosion off. Nothing looks fried, but who knows. Its drying now. We'll see if I come up lucky. If not, we'll see what eBay has to offer.

Has anyone ever drilled a drainhole through the body in the amp well for drainage? Am debating doing so and installing a small one way valve.
Aaaaaaaannnd of course my efforts were for nothing.

Put the Logic7 amp back together and plugged it in. Stereo turns "on" and looks like it functions, but zero sound. Not even a door chime. Only positive is that the "SOS [phone]" icon is no longer showing as a fault on start up.

Sigh.....
      05-22-2022, 07:06 PM   #20676
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Did nothing. Saw this on FB though. Pretty sweet.
Attached Images

05-22-2022, 10:01 PM   #20677
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Aaaaand success! Two new fuses and a passenger door actuator put me back in business!

Even had time to do a quick detail wipe down!

Appreciate 5
      05-22-2022, 11:25 PM   #20678
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Aaaaand success! Two new fuses and a passenger door actuator put me back in business!

Even had time to do a quick detail wipe down!

Well done, and beautiful car. Not easy to find a 330, and such a great car and looks to be in great condition.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #20679
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Well done, and beautiful car. Not easy to find a 330, and such a great car and looks to be in great condition.
Well thank you! It's a delight to work on, and I hope to keep it going for quite a while longer!
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #20680
Swizzie7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Anyone know what this piece is called located on your door? My passenger side one fell off.

Appreciate 0