E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > feint clunk 2017 m240i

10-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
prefersjdm
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW m240i

feint clunk 2017 m240i

My car is nearly new. 26,000 miles. 0 rust. etc. But there is the faintest clunk coming from the left wheel well on compression and decompression over bumps, and across imperfect pavement. It's only readily noticeable at low speeds (under 15mph) and it disappears on flat surfaces and at speed. The electronic steering vagueness makes it difficult to assess the play because you never know what the wheels are doing unless you're looking for it, but when the weight of the car is pressed over that wheel (such as in a decline to the left), you'll hear and feel a smidge of bounciness. It's not a sway bar or CV axle issue.

The car has such low mileage I'm surprised this is an issue at all, but I do not have a lift to assess play in the wheel, and can't tell if it's the strut, housing, or some type of play in a connecting component like a ball joint. Impossible to tell without a lift? Any usual sources for these issues at low mileage?
Appreciate 0