E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 DISA

02-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
xezo
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328xi N51

N51 DISA

Hello,

Recently engine started making "knocking/rattling" sounds around 2-3k RPMS decided to check Disa because symptoms were similar to failure. No codes on cluster, drives perfectly fine, but after taking out, noticed alot of oil in intake manifold and oil on throttle body. Flaps have play in them, they ain't stiff.

Is it starting to fail? Should I replace it or it's still usable ?

Adding a picture of the disa aswell.
Attached Images

Last edited by xezo; 02-16-2023 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 01:31 AM   #2
Revoluti0n
Rep
Drives: 330i 272PS

If you are able to move the flap with your hand - yes, you need new DISA, the flap should not move at all when you have it out. In fact I had the same issue the other day, there were no codes and car was running fine, but when I pulled the big DISA out, the flap was moving freely, it rattled and the flap went crazy when I shook it, that's a solid indicator of a failed DISA.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 06:49 AM   #3
xezo
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328xi N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoluti0n View Post
If you are able to move the flap with your hand - yes, you need new DISA, the flap should not move at all when you have it out. In fact I had the same issue the other day, there were no codes and car was running fine, but when I pulled the big DISA out, the flap was moving freely, it rattled and the flap went crazy when I shook it, that's a solid indicator of a failed DISA.
Thanks for the reply

I tested disa on INPA aswell, opens up all the way, but closes only 15-20% showed on scale. Tried to help it close by hand, doesn't move at all.

So will buy a new one
Appreciate 0