E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Inexpensive upgraded shock mounts - Monroe 907984

12-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #265
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

See my post above...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 06:45 AM   #266
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
See my post above...
Just seen it now mate..

Ok, so you are suggesting chopping down/reducing the metal sleeve by 6mm.

Would this replicate a similar feel that the Monroe mounts would give or are the Monroe mounts the best solution?

As a matter of fact, I have just managed to order these from Amazon, coming from Amazon USA for £65 for 2 pairs, which works out cheaper than here in the UK @ £43 per set!

Wouldn't a 6mm reduction lower the ride height also? From what I have read, the Monroe mounts maintain stock ride height but offer less compression...?

I can always re-sell the Monroe mounts if the 6mm solution is a better idea but if the Monroe solution is the best, then I wouldn't mind the £63 I have spent...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #267
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

6mm is just how much I chose to cut down. I've never had a set of monroe ones to compare with. But reducing the sleeve by 6mm certainly compressed the stock mount a lot, so I have no doubt that it's pretty firm now. You may as well stick with monroe; less faffing that way.

Reducing the sleeve by 6mm would move the full droop and bottom out positions by 3mm (lower body/less droop), but it won't significantly affect the ride height.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 04:30 AM   #268
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
6mm is just how much I chose to cut down. I've never had a set of monroe ones to compare with. But reducing the sleeve by 6mm certainly compressed the stock mount a lot, so I have no doubt that it's pretty firm now. You may as well stick with monroe; less faffing that way.

Reducing the sleeve by 6mm would move the full droop and bottom out positions by 3mm (lower body/less droop), but it won't significantly affect the ride height.
Interesting. I take it you have reduced some of the bounce significantly by this mod? Also, are you running on non run-flats or run flats?

Am I correct in understanding that when we ditch the run flats and put on non run flats, there is more give in the tyres (due to soft side walls) and because the suspension has been designed around run flats, the softer tyres will effect ride (in terms of less absorption by tyres meaning more mushy/soft ride and quicker dampening rate and more thuds from the shocks hitting the bump stops which are not 'good' effects one could say??)...however all the posts I have seen on the BMW forums report that they had a much better ride after ditching the run flats...but how can this be true if the suspension is designed with run flats?

I understand this mod is to stop bounciness and promote a more stable firm rear due to ditching the run flats for non run flats...but BMW offered standard tyres as a option for the E9x (I read this some time ago) but there doesn't seem to be different rear upper shock mounts to cater for that?? Surely the engineers would have thought about offering different suspension components for customers who decided to opt for non run flats?

Or is this mod to stop the bounciness in general for all E9x cars? If so, why didn't BMW think of this?

The E9x was not a alfa romeo given its price tag when new but so many new owners of E9x reported very harsh ride and not so good dampening especially in the pre-LCI - Either those owners got their pressures wrong (filling air when tyres hot for example) or BMW intentionally designed these cars like that? I can't believe the latter was true?

I've just spent north of £800 and new Bilstein B4 SE shocks, NEW Bilstein (firmer) bump stops, SACHS SE springs, new mounts, arms etc after initially installing SACHS shocks (kept old springs at the time) and the softer SACHS bump stops. I thought the Bilstein stuff would dramatically improve the ride but I have not had significant improvements so far given the fact that the BILSTEIN parts are same for pre and LCI cars?? I thought the firmer bump stops would have been the answer but hardly made any difference. Even the brand spanking new SACHS springs didn't help either. Still getting those annoying thuds here and there.

I am on Rotalla budget tyres 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 (I know they are budget) but according to the tyre tests, they are right next to the Michellin PSS4 in regards to Noise and Comfort, so I can almost remove tyres from the culprits list..

The only things left are:

1) This mod - hoping it will help the overall ride
2) 4 wheel tracking: rears are completely out and fronts are matching rears (rubbish tracking shop I previously used) so my cars tyres are all completely off - I get a lot of road noise on the poorer surfaces to a point where you have to speak louder or put the radio up. I think tracking should sort this out? But what's less possible is hoping that the tracking will make the ride a bit more comfortable??

Last edited by bmw_solid; 12-31-2022 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 04:43 AM   #269
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

It's got nothing to do with the tyres really. BMW put lots of very soft rubber joints in the suspension to reduce nvh, give passive understeer, etc etc. Some of this was necessary because of the crazy stiff rft tyres, but none of it is tuning to compliment them, if you see what I mean.

Of course they thought of it; they didn't choose soft mounts by accident. But they're only really concerned with how the system works when it's all new, and probably had different priorities from most of us.

I'm on non-rft. I've changed so much on the suspension in my car, and much of that isn't in line with common recommendations, so I don't really know how this mod alone compares with stock or others' setups. I don't have an issue with bouncing or vagueness from the back of my car though; the opposite, if anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 06:43 AM   #270
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with the tyres really. BMW put lots of very soft rubber joints in the suspension to reduce nvh, give passive understeer, etc etc. Some of this was necessary because of the crazy stiff rft tyres, but none of it is tuning to compliment them, if you see what I mean.

Of course they thought of it; they didn't choose soft mounts by accident. But they're only really concerned with how the system works when it's all new, and probably had different priorities from most of us.

I'm on non-rft. I've changed so much on the suspension in my car, and much of that isn't in line with common recommendations, so I don't really know how this mod alone compares with stock or others' setups. I don't have an issue with bouncing or vagueness from the back of my car though; the opposite, if anything.
You've got a point to be fair. I just think pre-owned BMWs after the 75k mile mark become very sensitive in the suspension department. Its like unless a good quality tyre is used, the ride becomes very bad!

I will report back once I have installed to Monroe mounts and see what difference that has made.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 07:24 AM   #271
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah. A friend who used to work for AML says that most rubber bushes/mounts are significantly off spec after 40k miles.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 01:22 AM   #272
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
The only things left are:

1) This mod - hoping it will help the overall ride
2) 4 wheel tracking: rears are completely out and fronts are matching rears (rubbish tracking shop I previously used) so my cars tyres are all completely off - I get a lot of road noise on the poorer surfaces to a point where you have to speak louder or put the radio up. I think tracking should sort this out? But what's less possible is hoping that the tracking will make the ride a bit more comfortable??
3) Ditch the 19" wheels as comfort with those are a pie in the sky
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #273
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fieri View Post
3) Ditch the 19" wheels as comfort with those are a pie in the sky
Not really...I am not believing that BMW let cars with 19" go out their showrooms that drove like a wild dog. I don't mind it being firm, I expect it to be firm but it just the thuds and road roar that are making me wonder wth is wrong with my freshly installed OEM Bilstein suspension...

In addition to this mod, I also have on culprit list the following:

1) crap Febi control arm and tension strut mounts (I though these were a good brand but it turns out they were not OEM for BMW) - I am tempted to buy Lemforder bushings and change just the busings..

2) Front top strut nut - I have opened the front struts so many times but never replaced the locking nuts...maybe its not locking in place or getting loose...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:46 PM   #274
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not really...I am not believing that BMW let cars with 19" go out their showrooms that drove like a wild dog. I don't mind it being firm, I expect it to be firm but it just the thuds and road roar that are making me wonder wth is wrong with my freshly installed OEM Bilstein suspension...

In addition to this mod, I also have on culprit list the following:

1) crap Febi control arm and tension strut mounts (I though these were a good brand but it turns out they were not OEM for BMW) - I am tempted to buy Lemforder bushings and change just the busings..

2) Front top strut nut - I have opened the front struts so many times but never replaced the locking nuts...maybe its not locking in place or getting loose...
Neither of those things will fix your issue. Neither will hurt, but there's nothing wrong with Febi parts, and I seriously doubt your top nuts are working loose unless they weren't torqued sufficiently. But maybe you can prove me wrong.

The fact is that the first line of defence against road impacts is the tyres, and if you remove 1/3 of that by running 19" wheels, you basically get 33% more feedback from the road. And they're significantly more sensitive to alignment etc because the tyres are inherently stiffer.

Not trying to put you off, but just don't think you should fire the parts cannon at it with unrealistic expectations.

What tyres are you running?
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 04:43 PM   #275
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
17" meat setup > 19" rubber band setup on these cars

Performance and comfort, hard to go wrong
      03-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #276
Robimplicit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2; 335d

Washer in Monroe upper mount kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
If you haven't done so, read thru this thread. I see some people did get some new rattles but didn't come across any squeaks.

Also, did you use the OE cup with or without the large washer supplied in the Monroe kit? I did not. Can't see how that would create a squeak, but, who knows.

I've got this very muffled slight knocking in the back been trying to track down. However it is recent and I've had the Monroe mounts on for 3+ years so likely not related.

I just purchased the Monroe upper mount kit (PN 907984) for a 2011 335d. I couldn't figure out where to place the large black metal washer so I called tech support at Monroe. I learned that the proper sequence for parts placement starting above the metal top hat cover over the bump stop (from bottom to top) is black metal washer over the top hat; lower rubber mount, then insert the metal sleeve into the lower mount; then, of course, the upper mount from inside the trunk. Lubricate with silicone spray or lithium grease.
Thought this might be helpful.
      04-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #277
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Neither of those things will fix your issue. Neither will hurt, but there's nothing wrong with Febi parts, and I seriously doubt your top nuts are working loose unless they weren't torqued sufficiently. But maybe you can prove me wrong.

The fact is that the first line of defence against road impacts is the tyres, and if you remove 1/3 of that by running 19" wheels, you basically get 33% more feedback from the road. And they're significantly more sensitive to alignment etc because the tyres are inherently stiffer.

Not trying to put you off, but just don't think you should fire the parts cannon at it with unrealistic expectations.

What tyres are you running?
Apologies for the late response.

I've sold the E92 330d and gone and brought a 2010 LCI E90 M-Sport with the factory 18" wheels. Yes, the M Sport is a much better package compared to SE! But SE is still a great chassis.

The car had some awful run flats so I ditched them and went for x4 FALKEN Azenis FK520. Huge difference in comfort, handling and General refinement NVH.

Only real concern I have is when doing a bit of spirited driving...i can feel the back end wanting to lean but the good grip of the tyres keeps the car borderline stable. Im running 34/35 front/rear and will try 35/35 as that should reduce the understeer effect.

But i still have the Monroe rubber rear upper shock mounts...I read they make the rear firm planted and reduce that secondary wobble but do they help with handling/cornering/around bends? I hope they do...surely the hard rubber will let the car not lean so much compared to the squishy OEM mounts designed for RFT tyres?

Your thoughts?
Ps. Stock OEM M Sport suspension all round.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #278
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

They might help a little. Unlikely to do any harm anyhow.

A lot of what you're feeling is probably aged rubber in the stock suspension. Especially rsfb. And ageing shocks too.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:01 PM   #279
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They might help a little. Unlikely to do any harm anyhow.

A lot of what you're feeling is probably aged rubber in the stock suspension. Especially rsfb. And ageing shocks too.
Noted.

Yes shocks i agree are aged and the car is on 115k miles with no paperwork of suspension work. However i had a look under the car and shocks are rust and oil free front and back. Arms + end links look great with no tears/dirt ingress. Back had bit of sign of wear but still very clean.

By rsfb you mean the arm bushings right? Yes...you have a point but a very costly job @ 5 arms per side x2 !!

How long to the coil springs last generally on these E90s?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:13 PM   #280
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

No, I mean the 4 mounts the attach the rear subframe to the chassis.

Even if the joints and shocks look decent condition, they might not be. In fact, after 115k mi and 12 years I bet they're all pretty far gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #281
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, I mean the 4 mounts the attach the rear subframe to the chassis.

Even if the joints and shocks look decent condition, they might not be. In fact, after 115k mi and 12 years I bet they're all pretty far gone.
Ok - I've just been doing research on the Rsfb and Wow! I didn't know how important these are in the BMW world. Powerflex abd Dinan or M3 rsfb seem to do the trick for a tighter/planted rear end when cornering.

In the E9x chassis, the front end is spot on....it's responsive, turns in well...its just the rear end that doesn't communicate with the steering so well. According to my research, the E9x was traded off for more comfort hence the less crisp tight drive like the older BMs and that loose rear end. The M3 rsfb seem to be a great mod - Oem feel and a tight rear end.

Would you say going for OEM M-sport rsfb worthwhile? I heard that if fitting M3 rsfb then ideally you need M3 front control arms to balance out the handling. Now this sounds expensive to me So wouldn't new Lemforder Oem M sport mounts be a cost effective and vetter call? Would like to know your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 03:29 PM   #282
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Also.... if my shocks do fail Mot...I would most likely be Going for B4 Sport shocks (these are Oem spec but 10% firmer), BMW Dealer Bump Stops + Monroe rear upper mounts, and Lemforder arms+mounts and SACHS OEM springs. They would be my brands if I had to change anything...the B6 and B8 shocks are way expensive and I would rather retain the Oem feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 08:37 PM   #283
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I heard that if fitting M3 rsfb then ideally you need M3 front control arms to balance out the handling.
Nonsense. Though the front M arms are a good mod on their own, definitely, and both are well worth doing. But you can do one without the other, without having a car that inexplicably implodes due to upgrades only at one end.

I wouldn't bother with anything softer than M3 rsfb, and wouldn't use powerflex etc. I have the M3 ones, and perfectly happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 03:11 PM   #284
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nonsense. Though the front M arms are a good mod on their own, definitely, and both are well worth doing. But you can do one without the other, without having a car that inexplicably implodes due to upgrades only at one end.

I wouldn't bother with anything softer than M3 rsfb, and wouldn't use powerflex etc. I have the M3 ones, and perfectly happy.
Ok, if its not vital to have M3 front control arms coupled with M3 rsfb then that's a bit easier on the wallet. I might consider getting just the M3 rsfb put in...

Yes the powerflex and other stuff is a bit extreme and a different ball game.

Do you also have M3 control arms or OEM?

Would you say comfort and NVH is not affected much with the M3 rsfb?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #285
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, if its not vital to have M3 front control arms coupled with M3 rsfb then that's a bit easier on the wallet. I might consider getting just the M3 rsfb put in...

Yes the powerflex and other stuff is a bit extreme and a different ball game.

Do you also have M3 control arms or OEM?

Would you say comfort and NVH is not affected much with the M3 rsfb?
Just the noise with powerflex - never heard of anyone who's car doesn't creak or squeak after a while.

I have M3 arms where they're a straight swap; 2x front, 2x upper rear. And M3 rsfb. And monoballs on most of the other rear arms.

After doing doing the M3 rsfb I have more diff noise, but it's probably a bit whiney anyhow. Zero complaints there. Plenty of folk say they feel/hear no increase when swapping to solid rsfb, so I doubt you'll have issues with M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 03:44 AM   #286
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just the noise with powerflex - never heard of anyone who's car doesn't creak or squeak after a while.

I have M3 arms where they're a straight swap; 2x front, 2x upper rear. And M3 rsfb. And monoballs on most of the other rear arms.

After doing doing the M3 rsfb I have more diff noise, but it's probably a bit whiney anyhow. Zero complaints there. Plenty of folk say they feel/hear no increase when swapping to solid rsfb, so I doubt you'll have issues with M3.

Noted. So not much difference in comfort and NVH but a tighter rear end.
Appreciate 0